12/4 Playlist: Pushing The Envelope: Zappa Special-WHUS/Storrs, Connecticut (USA)

  • JoelKru@xxx.xxx
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 5, 1999
      Greetings!

      Welcome to this week's playlist for the 12/4 edition of "Pushing The
      Envelope - Music Decidedly Left of Center. If you go to the WHUS web-site
      (http://whusfm.saup.uconn.edu/) you can get all the information you need to
      check out "Pushing The Envelope" and all the other fine programming on 91.7
      FM - WHUS, the radio station of the University of Connecticut in Storrs.

      "Pushing The Envelope" airs on Saturday afternoons from 3 to 5 PM
      (FYI, London: 8-10 PM/Tel Aviv: 10-12 PM/Hong Kong: Sunday: 3-5 AM/Sydney:
      5-7 AM). It continues it's mission of presenting the best of avant-garde
      classical, rock, jazz, ambient, electronic, along with a healthy dollop of
      new and classic progressive rock (i.e., King Crimson, Boud Deun, Gentle Giant,
      etc.).

      As always, I'm constantly looking for new music to air. (Please
      note, all playlists are posted to the progressive rock, ambient, electronic,
      exotic, and contemporary classical music newsgroups, the Wire, Prog4U, and
      avant-progressive mailists, and in addition to all that, e-mailed to you.)

      If you have something that you'd like to share with our listeners
      (Yes, I DO play cassettes and DATs!), please sent it along to:

      Joel Krutt / WHUS
      Pushing The Envelope
      University of Connecticut
      Box U-8R
      Storrs, CT 06269

      e-mail: joelkru@...

      Thanks for checking out the list!
      'Til next time,
      Peace
      Joel

      12/4/99 Playlist: Pushing The Envelope Special Edition: The Annual Frank
      Zappa Memorial Barbeque (note: the web-site for more info about FZ's Ryko
      releases can be found at:
      http://www.rykodisc.com/RykoInternal/Features/195/default.htm)

      ~Semi-Fraudulent/Direct From Hollywood Overture - composer: Frank Zappa -
      soundtrack: 200 Motels - Rykodisc (1971/97)

      ~Holiday In Berlin, Full Blown - FZ & The Mothers of Invention - Burnt Weeny
      Sandwich - Ryko (1970/95)

      ~Call Any Vegetable - FZ & The MOI - Freaks & Motherfu*#@%! (Beat The Boots
      Series) - FOO-EEE/Rhino (1991) <http://www.rhino.com>

      ~Dumb All Over - FZ - You Are What You Is - Ryko (1981)

      ~Stucco Homes - FZ - Shut Up & Play Yer Guitar - Ryko (1981)

      ~Outside, Now Again - composer: FZ/The Barking Pumpkin Digital Gratification
      Consort - The Perfect Stranger - Angel (1984)

      ~Mo N' Herb's Vacation, Pt. 1 - composer: FZ / London Symphony Orchestra
      conducted by Kent Nagano - The LSO Plays Zappa - Ryko (1986)

      ~Revised Music For Guitar & Low Budget Orchestra - FZ - Lather - Ryko (1996)

      ~The Perfect Stranger - composer: FZ / Ensemble Intercontemporain conducted
      by Pierre Boulez - The Perfect Stranger - Angel (1984)

      Note: This set is made up of Zappa covers, influences, and compositons not pe
      rformed by his highness.

      ~King Kong - Good God - Good God - Atlantic (1972)

      ~Prelude To Crunchy Bugs - Michael P. Dawson - The Brandnewbug Concertos -
      Elephant Shrew Music (1995) <http://members.aol.com/biffyshrew/biffy.html>

      ~Portraits Of The Dead: Frank Zappa - Joseph Benzola - The Sound Of One Hand
      Clapping - Amanita Music (1999) <http://kspace.com/amanita_music>

      ~America Drinks & Goes Home - composer: FZ/ Jean Luc Ponty - King Kong: Ponty
      Plays Zappa - Blue Note (1969/93) <http://www.bluenote.com>

      ~If I Could Only Be Your Love Again - composer/arranger/producer: FZ / Ruben
      & The Jets - For Real - Mercury (1973)

      ~Inca Roads - Zappa's Universe tribute band feat. Mike Keneally, Steve Vai,
      Dweezil Zappa, Terry Bozzio, Rockapella, The Persuasions, & others - Zappa's
      Universe - Verve (1993)

      ~Frank - The Rudy Schwartz Project - Gunther Packs A Stiffy - Seeland (1995)
      <http://www.shiningsilence.com/rsp/discography.html> or
      <http://www.negativland.com/nmol/seeland.html>

      ~Directly From My Heart To You - FZ & the MOI feat. Don "Sugarcane" Harris -
      Weasels Ripped My Flesh - Ryko (1969/95)

      ~Eat The Question - FZ - The Grand Wazoo - Ryko (1972/86)

      ~Help I'm A Rock/It Can't Happen Here - FZ & The MOI - Freak Out - Ryko
      (1966/95)

      ~Peaches En Regalia - FZ - Hot Rats or Strictly Commercial - Ryko (1969/1995)