Kombinat M

  • Caleb Deupree
    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 31, 2008
      In a recent Wayside order, I picked up Lukas Ligeti's new album on
      Tzadik, Afrikan Machinery. Not really this-listy, but it had the
      side effect of sending me back to my first encounter with Ligeti, the
      Cuneiform album Hybrid Beat by Kombinat M. Over the years, this CD
      has remained probably my favorite original Cuneiform release, a
      brilliant blend of RIO-style rock and minimalism. But even after all
      this time, none of the other names on the album are familiar to me:
      Erwin Redl, Andreas Heidu, Walter Hollinetz and Andreas Leikauf?
      Ligeti's post-KM career is reasonably well documented, between his
      solo albums and the Beta Foly project. Any recommendations on
      interesting music from other former members?

      ---
      Caleb Deupree
      ctdeupree@...
      http://classicaldrone.blogspot.com
    • Cuneiform / Wayside
      Message 2 of 2 , Oct 31, 2008
        Caleb

        I am on friendly terms with Lukas and we talk or see each other at
        least every couple of years.

        He told me that at least one of the people that was in Kombinat M (I
        think it was Erwin, but I could be wrong) is now rather well known as
        a visual artist.

        I have no idea about the others - I assume that some/most of them are
        out of the music business.

        The record was a huge failure for us - partially because by the time
        the album came out the band had broken up. But I agree it's still a
        good listen.

        thanks for the inquiry,

        Steve