FMPM update

  • otomstreet@comcast.net
    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 14, 2008
      I've been having a wonderful time here in Montreal (never been here before) and checking out all the bands playing here. I drove up thursday night starting out a little after 9PM. Other than a little nap at the halfway point I drove straight through. I did have a bit of trouble with my GPS, and passed a couple of turns I should have taken then it went nuts in downtown Montreal with losing signal and turning me around in circles because of the delay involved in tracking. Anyway I got here a little after 11AM but couldn't check in until after 3PM so I got myself a bite to eat and walked around the area, found the venue and enjoyed the fact that french women are beautiful.

      So friday night we had the pre-show of Premier Ciel performing the music of Harmonium, Harmonium I was to learn was hugely popular in Montreal, far beyond your typical prog band. Premier Ciel/Harmonium were very nice and I enjoyed them to a point, I couldn't understand any of the french so it was easy to realize I was missing alot. The fist set was mellow acoustic stuff which nice vocals and the second set stepped up the pace a bit and rocked out some, the crowd loved it.

      Saturday started with Spaced Out who I had seen at NEARfest a number of years ago but this time I sat through their whole set. The rhythm section kicked ass but the shred guitar stuff I can really do without. I couldn't hear the keyboard player so I can't really say anything about him. They are very good at what they do but it really isn't my thing. Next up was Knight Area who are pure NEO and to be honest really kind of run of the mill. the keyboard player is top notch Banks/Wakeman stylist. The guitar players does some wonderful Hackett leads but nomally sits boringly back in the mix the rest of the time. The drummer was just a typical rock drummer and the bass player was very busy. I plain did not like the singer in any way but then again I'm not really the guy you want to talk to about NEO groups. Banco was worth the trip alone, they are even more powerful live than their recordings which I know is hard to believe but it true none the less. These guys could take on the top four
      in their prime right now, easily one of the best prog bands I've ever seen. I did get to hang out with the Frogg Cafe guys (Frankie you should have came), talked alot with Robert my Canadian RIO buddy, talked for a minute with Jim Robinson and the Proghouse Staph (Lots of wonderful memories there) and got to meet and get my picture taken with Daniel Denis so it was a very memoriable day. I'll post more tomorrow or maybe even tonight if I can't sleep after Univers Zero.

      Thom
    • Scott Montgomery
      Message 2 of 2 , Sep 14, 2008
        Thanks for sharing your thoughts Thom,

        It makes it easier for the likes of me to vicariously cop a bit of enjoyment out of this festival too.  Banco....ah...I could see them every week and not get tired of it.......same for UZ!  Enjoy!

        Scott dada Denver