Re: [avant-progressive] The Book Of Angels

  • otomstreet@comcast.net
    Message 1 of 5 , Sep 14, 2008
      They are all fallen Angels, members of the uprising when Lucifer tried to take over heaven for which God casted them from heaven. I have a book of Angels at home which includes the fallen Angels but it's at home and I'm a FMPM in Montreal 550 miles away.

      Thom

      Hi!

      About the Tzadik albums Book Of Angels:

      Anybody out there know where all the angels names in the 11 Book Of Angels
      releases do come from?

      Hans Voigt
    • Hans Voigt
      Message 2 of 5 , Sep 14, 2008
        Hi Thom!

        Thanks for this very usefull info! I will be playing tunes from 6 of the
        Book of Angels albums at UHORT this afternoon.

        More info, see playlist here: http://www.hansprog.com
        <http://www.hansprog.com/>

        Hans

        _____

        Message 3 of 5 , Sep 14, 2008
          Hi Hans,

          I'm not sure what actual book Zorn got the names from but I had heard that they are Jewish Mysticium (SP?).

          Be sure to play some thing from the Secret Chiefs 3 and Bar Kokhba, those are my favorites so far, I have all but the new MMW one which I'll be getting soon.

          Thom

          Hi Thom!

          Thanks for this very usefull info! I will be playing tunes from 6 of the
          Book of Angels albums at UHORT this afternoon.

          More info, see playlist here: http://www.hansprog.com
          <http://www.hansprog.com/>

          Hans
        • Jean-Henry Berevoescu
          Message 4 of 5 , Sep 18, 2008
            Hi,
            The names are drawn from Hebrew Mysticism and are really angels/daemons
            (there's no real demarcation of good/bad as in the Christian mysticism
            as far as I know, but I might be wrong - I'm not interested in these
            matters at all). In modern Hebrew there's only one still in little use:
            Azazel - and it denotes the Devil (in expressions as: "le'Azazel" - sort
            of "Damn!").
            There are other Hebrew titles in Zorn's discography:
            - a lot in Masada related projects of which the first 10 (Alef, Beit,
            Gimel, ... Yod) are the first 10 letters of the Hebrew alphabet, also
            used as numbers in a lot of cases (as school grades: 1, 2, 3... ==>
            Alef, Beit, Gimel etc).
            - in Bar Kokhba related projects - with a lot of compositions named
            after concepts and terminology from the Jewish Kabbalah (book of Zohar etc).
            -... etc.

            I hope this helps :-)
            --bjh