Japanrocksampler

  • Gerald Van Waes
    Message 1 of 2 , Jun 29, 2008
      I heard everybody in Japan hates Julian Cope's "JapRockSampler". Wayside
      seems not to have liked his Krautrocksampler either.

      I agree that you can find whatever you want to find, and then focus on it as
      being a counter-culture. But he so much pushes his own wannebe imaginations
      that he even uses lies and inventions of his own mind for it. So you won't
      find anyone in Japan that will recommend that book. Was there really nothing
      better on Japan, not even a good article ? I had one book on Japan (now sold
      out), where another opinion was pushed so much to the fore it also gave a
      completely wrong image of the scene.

      Gerald

    • Joe Barnekow
      Message 2 of 2 , Jun 29, 2008
        "I heard everybody in Japan hates Julian Cope's "JapRockSampler".

        Wayside
        seems not to have liked his Krautrocksampler either."

        Haven't read the JapRockSampler, but if Cope gave this scene a similar
        treat as the krauts, it's not a bad thing at all.
        The KrautRockSampler is full of faults, misses and wrong
        interpretations. It's also a challenge just judging the language,
        especially if you depend on the german translation (which is really one
        of the worst I have ever read!). But it's entertaining and so full of
        enthusiasm that it did more for Krautrock in the world than all the
        other serious articles and books on this matter.
        So look at it that its aim is to make japanese outsider music more
        popular, and if this happens the book did it right!

        Joe