Cecil Taylor / RIO

  • otomstreet@comcast.net
    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 1, 2008
      My Cecil Taylor collection has been growing nicely and actually far too fast for me to grasp what he is trying to do. Easily a genius (and I don't say that lightly) and with pushing 80 he is still pushing the boundries of Jazz. It's only been lately that I've been drawing lines between Cecil Taylor and the RIO and New York Downtown scene. It's seems that my tases for the noisier styles of music are in the end coming together. Cecil Taylor has been leading the pack for 50 years and what a wonderful experience. I recently bought myself a pair of Bose earbuds and it's like having your head inside the piano while Cecil is playing. I can see where Zappa got the idea of people living inside a piano.

      Thom
    • Cuneiform / Wayside
      Message 2 of 3 , Feb 2, 2008
        Thom

        Cecil definitely can play and I know a lot of people whose taste I
        respect who really like him.

        Not me, personally.

        Don't generally like his albums (there are some exceptions, but they
        don't extend past the 1970s) and I
        walked out of a solo show totally bored by him about 15 years ago -
        and I very, very seldom walk out of shows - couldn't stand the
        mumbling and the bells on his ankles and the generally totally arty-
        farty air he gave off. Struck me personally as very forced and
        ungenuine (as opposed to, say, Sun Ra, who would tell you he was from
        Saturn with a completely straight face and a twinkle in his eye).

        YMMV.

        Anyway, if we travel together, I won't be bringing any Cecil albums
        along!

        :-)

        Which ones do you particularly like?

        Steve