Re: Tamizdat question

  • palcontented1
    Message 1 of 21 , Oct 8, 2007
      --- In avant-progressive@yahoogroups.com, "alanterrill"
      <alanterrill@...> wrote:

      I like Dunaj, E, Boo, Rale, Jablkon & Sveceny, especially Mumlava,
      Psi Vojaci, Vladimir Vaclavek, Bittova of course, MCH Band,
      Chadima / Fajt, Tara Fuki, Klar, Z Kopce Osklid, Uz Jsme Doma, Zede
      Jive Zede, Pluto, etc. That only scratches the surface of the Czech
      scene I think.

      You might like Slovenia's Zoambo Zoet Workestrao.

      Lenny

      > I wondered why Eastern European music was so invisible these days.
      > discovered Uz Jsme Doma, Jablkon, and Masfel through Wayside,
      > Recommended and Ultima Thule, but none of these carry anything new
      > from these countries, so as least Tamizdat make it possible to buy
      and
      > hear samples from these bands. Pest were wonderful but disappeared
      > after two albums. Can anyone recommend any other bands in a vaguely
      > similar vein?
      > Alan Terrill
      >

      > "Steve F." <CuneiWay@> wrote:
      >

      > > Wayside ignore it because we can't get a good source for discs.
      > >
      > > Tamizdat no longer fill the orders from New York and they are
      not
      > > reliable (for us anyway) to order from any longer.
      > >
      > > Not due to any 'idealogical' reasons or any reason other than
      the
      > > practicality of trying to be able to keep stuff in stock.
      > >
      > > thanks for letting me have a rebuttal!
      > >
      > > Steve

    • alanterrill
      Message 2 of 21 , Oct 9, 2007
        Ah yes - I bought Zoambo Zoet Workestrao earlier this year, and I do
        like it! I've been tempted by Dunaj and Pluto, but I didn't like the
        vocals on the samples I heard, but I'll certainly investigate the
        others you mentioned -thanks!

        Alan

        --- In avant-progressive@yahoogroups.com, "palcontented1"
        <palcontented1@...> wrote:

        I like Dunaj, E, Boo, Rale, Jablkon & Sveceny, especially Mumlava,
        > Psi Vojaci, Vladimir Vaclavek, Bittova of course, MCH Band,
        > Chadima / Fajt, Tara Fuki, Klar, Z Kopce Osklid, Uz Jsme Doma, Zede
        > Jive Zede, Pluto, etc. That only scratches the surface of the Czech
        > scene I think.
        >
        > You might like Slovenia's Zoambo Zoet Workestrao.
        >
        > Lenny

      • palcontented1
        Message 3 of 21 , Oct 9, 2007
          --- In avant-progressive@yahoogroups.com, "alanterrill"
          <alanterrill@...> wrote:

          Yes, well the late Jiri Kolsovsky's vocals could be pretty screechy,
          but Vaclavek's breathy baritone I rather like and Pluto's singer,
          Vaclav Bartos, is quite good I think. You may want to check out
          Pustit Musis which was Dunaj fronted by Iva Bittova. They began as
          her back up group in the 80's and made an interesting record, but it
          was primitively recorded, so around '96 rather than reissue it, they
          re-recorded almost all of the songs plus a few new ones.

          Lenny

          > Ah yes - I bought Zoambo Zoet Workestrao earlier this year, and I
          do
          > like it! I've been tempted by Dunaj and Pluto, but I didn't like
          the
          > vocals on the samples I heard, but I'll certainly investigate the
          > others you mentioned -thanks!
          >
          > Alan
          >
          > --- In avant-progressive@yahoogroups.com, "palcontented1"
          > <palcontented1@> wrote:
          > >
          > I like Dunaj, E, Boo, Rale, Jablkon & Sveceny, especially
          Mumlava,
          > > Psi Vojaci, Vladimir Vaclavek, Bittova of course, MCH Band,
          > > Chadima / Fajt, Tara Fuki, Klar, Z Kopce Osklid, Uz Jsme Doma,
          Zede
          > > Jive Zede, Pluto, etc. That only scratches the surface of the
          Czech
          > > scene I think.
          > >
          > > You might like Slovenia's Zoambo Zoet Workestrao.
          > >
          > > Lenny

        • alanterrill
          Message 4 of 21 , Oct 12, 2007
            Lenny - I 've just been listening to some tracks by Pluto and Dunaj
            and I take it back -I think they're both worthy of further
            investigation. But I particularly liked the MCH band -'Carnival'
            sounds excellent, so I'll start there, and with a 20 year history I'm
            sure there's more to explore. I've found cdmusic.cz to have a good
            range of stuff !"Czech music at Czech prices", and the MCH band album
            is going for 7USD, so I'll try them out. Thanks for the recommendations!

            <palcontented1@...> wrote:

            > Yes, well the late Jiri Kolsovsky's vocals could be pretty screechy,
            > but Vaclavek's breathy baritone I rather like and Pluto's singer,
            > Vaclav Bartos, is quite good I think. You may want to check out
            > Pustit Musis which was Dunaj fronted by Iva Bittova. They began as
            > her back up group in the 80's and made an interesting record, but it
            > was primitively recorded, so around '96 rather than reissue it, they
            > re-recorded almost all of the songs plus a few new ones.
            >
            > Lenny
          • palcontented1
            Message 5 of 21 , Oct 12, 2007
              --- In avant-progressive@yahoogroups.com, "alanterrill"
              <alanterrill@...> wrote:
              Yes, Karneval is great. Anyone who writes a song about Giordano
              Bruno is okay by me. I'll have to check out that site you mention.

              Lenny

              > Lenny - I 've just been listening to some tracks by Pluto and Dunaj
              > and I take it back -I think they're both worthy of further
              > investigation. But I particularly liked the MCH band -'Carnival'
              > sounds excellent, so I'll start there, and with a 20 year history
              I'm
              > sure there's more to explore. I've found cdmusic.cz to have a good
              > range of stuff !"Czech music at Czech prices", and the MCH band
              album
              > is going for 7USD, so I'll try them out. Thanks for the
              recommendations!

              > Alan
              >
              > --- In avant-progressive@yahoogroups.com, "palcontented1"
              > <palcontented1@> wrote:
              > >
              > > Yes, well the late Jiri Kolsovsky's vocals could be pretty
              screechy,
              > > but Vaclavek's breathy baritone I rather like and Pluto's
              singer,
              > > Vaclav Bartos, is quite good I think. You may want to check out
              > > Pustit Musis which was Dunaj fronted by Iva Bittova. They began
              as
              > > her back up group in the 80's and made an interesting record,
              but it
              > > was primitively recorded, so around '96 rather than reissue it,
              they
              > > re-recorded almost all of the songs plus a few new ones.
              > >
              > > Lenny

            • Angilly, Mr Robert
              Message 6 of 21 , Oct 13, 2007
                One thing to be aware of when ordering from cdmusic.cz is that the U.S.
                Dollar prices they quote are based on old exchange rates, these have
                been changing rapidly in recent weeks so that when they say 299 Czech
                pesos = 12 USD it's actually more like 15 USD, and shipping charges to
                the U.S. may add another 5 dollars (this is also not inconsistent with
                shipping charges from other European vendors). I just ordered 11 CD's
                from them and according to the currency converter I'm paying about $215
                (they gave an estimate of about $190), still a good deal for stuff
                that's really good and not available just about anywhere else.

                I've found cdmusic.cz to have a good
                > range of stuff !"Czech music at Czech prices", and the MCH band
                album
                > is going for 7USD, so I'll try them out. Thanks for the
                recommendations!

              • fvioncsm
                Message 7 of 21 , Oct 30, 2007
                  Hi all

                  I've been in Prag this summer and I bought the Iva Bittova's DVD at
                  Tamizdat shop. Marek wasn't there and I couldn't wait for him but
                  the guy from Unijazz and the barmaids help me for business ! I
                  don't know in NYC but Tamizdat seems to be alive in Prague.

                  (A real place to visit : Jindrisska,5 at the 4th floor, the Unijazz
                  flat + Tamizdat shop + bar, full of concert pictures, old and new -
                  Plastic people, Uz Jsme Doma, Magma, Frank Zappa and so on ...).

                  Sure, prices are expensive at Tamizdat (for France) but I bought
                  some records some years ago without problem.

                  Now I buy czech undegrounnd records at http://www.blackpoint.cz or
                  http://www.moo.free.fr (french website).

                  For Wayside, the czech label Guerilla sales to distributors. This
                  is a very dynamic label in this field and the last records have
                  english translations (very useful !).

                  Here are some of the last Guerilla records :

                  - BBP's 3d CD (a real legacy for underground music played by young
                  guys very found of)

                  - Skryty Puvab Byrokracie's 2d CD (a mix of FAUST and ETRON FOU, a
                  surprise each minute)

                  - Pavel ZAJICEK's Kakofonie cesty (poems with expérimental or
                  minimalist music but rock roots, by the DG 307 leader who play with
                  Plastic people since 70's)

                  - DG 307 Live Several ways to tell one tale several faces (with 1
                  cello+ 1 violin + 1 trumpet for melancholic rock songs)

                  - AKTUAL's Deti bolsevizmu (re-recording of music published in
                  samizdat cassettes from a pre-historical underground band)

                  All these with a real quality of sound we weren't used to.

                  And there're so much records I don't know ...

                  Vladimir DRAPAL's Website : http://www.guerilla.cz

                  I hope there's something possible to enlarge the audience for this
                  style of music so rich and original.

                  Bye.

                  PS : Do you know when the Jana CHYTILOVA's documentary about Plastic
                  people of the universe will be out ?

                  Frederic

                  --- In avant-progressive@yahoogroups.com, "Steve F." <CuneiWay@...>