RE: [avant-progressive] Re: Luciano Pavarotti: RIP !. -

  • Gerald Van Waes
    Message 1 of 10 , Sep 7, 2007
      Michael Feathers ro : That sums it up for me. I love Magma but I never could
      stand real
      operatic singing.

      Well, there still exist certain different styles in operatic singing. One of
      the styles is to sound like Pavarotti, blown up with push. Of course you
      have to have volume if you want to reach a whole cinema of an audience. But
      just go to all voices ever recorded….from 1920’s until now.. you can hear
      many other surprises and approaches. Some “Italian schools” make singers
      sound like dying in a Passolini movie. It is so decadent and unreal. But
      just hear Marian Anderson in the ‘40s for instance : she learned gospel
      first. A very natural voice. New voices like the Belgian Van Seele or
      Spanish new voices I cannot recall right now, one realises there are more
      natural ways of singing with real personalities. Why uplift Pavarotti like
      the Madonna star in opera ? It is also good to realize the fake part of it
      too. If you take the real greats, you immediately hear the difference.
      Altough Italian opera can use Passolini kind of exaggerations well. One of
      my favourite voices ever is Alfred Deller. Very subtle. His voice was
      perfect for Purcell. A completely different technique he had, autodidactic
      as he was he formed a new school.

      PS. The voices used for Magma sounds natural to me. Like the female singer
      from Amon Düül II. Wasn’t she a guest once ?

      Gerald

    • Michael Feathers
      Message 2 of 10 , Sep 7, 2007
        Gerald Van Waes wrote:

        >Michael Feathers ro : That sums it up for me. I love Magma but I never could
        >stand real
        >operatic singing.
        >

        >Well, there still exist certain different styles in operatic singing. One of
        >the styles is to sound like Pavarotti, blown up with push. Of course you
        >have to have volume if you want to reach a whole cinema of an audience. But
        >just go to all voices ever recorded….from 1920’s until now.. you can hear
        >many other surprises and approaches. Some “Italian schools” make singers
        >sound like dying in a Passolini movie. It is so decadent and unreal. But
        >just hear Marian Anderson in the ‘40s for instance : she learned gospel
        >first. A very natural voice. New voices like the Belgian Van Seele or
        >Spanish new voices I cannot recall right now, one realises there are more
        >natural ways of singing with real personalities. Why uplift Pavarotti like
        >the Madonna star in opera ? It is also good to realize the fake part of it
        >too. If you take the real greats, you immediately hear the difference.
        >Altough Italian opera can use Passolini kind of exaggerations well. One of
        >my favourite voices ever is Alfred Deller. Very subtle. His voice was
        >perfect for Purcell. A completely different technique he had, autodidactic
        >as he was he formed a new school.
        >

        >PS. The voices used for Magma sounds natural to me. Like the female singer
        >from Amon Düül II. Wasn’t she a guest once ?

        You've got a point. I shouldn't write off the whole genre. The thing I
        don't like to hear is severe strain in a voice. It just bothers me. The
        one operatic singer I do like is a guy named Ivan Rebroff(sp?). He could
        sing in an insanely low register.
      • Joe Barnekow
        Message 3 of 10 , Sep 7, 2007
          Michael Feathers schrieb:
          > The
          > one operatic singer I do like is a guy named Ivan Rebroff(sp?). He could
          > sing in an insanely low register.

          German singer ( I.R. not his real name) who became famous with his
          pseudo-russian repertoire. Had even some hits in the German charts some
          30 years ago.
          Maybe the voice is bearable but the the songs are total kitsch! If you
          want to know more, look here:

          http://www.ivan-rebroff.de/ir.htm

          Joe