RE: [avant-progressive] Mr.Meidad stop trolling for god sakes :-)

  • greg manson
    Message 1 of 56 , Aug 1, 2007
      While we're at it, what about Fripp completely ripping off Holst on the 2nd
      Crimson LP?

      As to Art Zoyd well. I think they have listened to some Messiaen, no? Also I
      believe UZ owe a lot to obscure Belgian composer Huybrechts, who I have not
      heard, everything comes from somewhere!

      Dr greg

      _____

      From: Michael Feathers <mfeathers@mindsprin
      Message 56 of 56 , Aug 9, 2007
        Easily, actually. I listen to more music than you could begin to imagine - my only criteria is whether I like it or not. Doesn't matter if it's old or new - and, on that score, I have rarely found an avant-garde album I like - to me Magma is not avant-garde, but I bet that one would spark a whole debate that you've probably had years ago and done to death!! Guess it's back to that horrible category thing again!!
        Oh well - each to their own - vive la difference!!
        Andy G.
        How can you say that you loathe classical music and avant garde music while having loved Magma so much? This thread originates from a relevant and interesting observation that Christian Vander and his merry bunch harnessed at least some of his inspiration from Stravinsky's 'Les Noces' (although the term cloning is a tad harsh considering the expansion and the creation of a whole new musical genre that is still thriving ). We owe a great lot to our musical predecessors, and 'loathing' them is suspicious, especially considering the multiple borrowings in form and language by progressive music from classical music.

        Ricard

        www.deadearnest.btinternet.co.uk
        www.myspace.com/deadearnestdundee
        www.myspace.com/mermaidrockpromotions