Re: Far Corner and Secret Oyster

  • zeuhlmate
    Message 1 of 6 , Mar 9, 2007
      Secret Oyster came out of Coronarias dans (avant-jazz) and Burning Red
      Ivanhoe (rock with jazz elements) & Hurdy Gurdy (rock), an SO's first
      album from 1972 is quite different from the rest. Its more in the
      style of progressive european jazzrock, where as the later ones seemes
      more influenced (just a bit) by american fusion. On the second album
      'Sea Son' the jazzbassist Mads and the rockdrummer Bo Thrige Andersen
      are replaced by a rockbassist and a jazzdrummer, and this seems to
      tilt the balance towards a more extrovert style.
      This first album is my favorite.

      /Michael

      Np: YUGEN !

      --- In avant-progressive@yahoogroups.com, Bob Netherton <progbob@...>
      wrote:

      > On Fri, 2007-03-09 at 10:51 +0000, otomstreet@... wrote:
      >
      > > Far Corner - Endangered: At first these guys come off as an
      imitation of Univers Zero,
      > > now I'm a huge UZ fan but I'm just not into imitations of any
      kind, I'd rather have
      > > the real thing. After a few listens these guys start to develope
      a personality of
      > > their own and come out of UZ's shadow.
      >
      > And I'm afraid that folks that don't give the third or fourth listen may
      > come away with exactly that impression. I'd say influence rather than
      > imitation as it is only one aspect of their sound. You also get a lot
      > of the "in your face" style of American rock. Rumblin' stumblin' to go
      > with all that precise counterpoint and odd rhythm. I'd even go so far
      > as to say that these guys will open up some fans to things like UZ.
      >
      > > Secret Oyster - Sea Son: Their only problem, if you consider it a
      problem, is they
      > > are a bit too laid back for my tastes. With chops like theirs I
      would expect at
      > > least a black eye after a good loud listen.
      >
      > Wait for Straight To The Krankenhaus. At least one black eye heading
      > your way. And if the live one that Ken is doing is from the radio
      > show that I have, protect the other one as the punches will come
      > fast and furious :-)
      >
      > > Anyway I'll keep listening and I expect it to keep growing on me.
      >
      > And I'm sure it will. Astarte will be even more laid back, so perhaps
      > waiting on that one might be advised.
      >
      > --
      > Bob
      >
      > _ ____|____====___H___________________====_====_====_
      > |_______| [[[[ ####### ###### |
      > ______| [][] |____ """ Missouri Pacific |
      > |o ____| MP |__| \___________________________/\_________|
      > _| / |_5001_| \_| | | | | | | | | | | | |_|
      > _|=|====|======|===|===/\=================================|_|
      > _| [(o)=(o)=(o)] |____________________| [(o)=(o)=(o)] |_|
      > [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] []
      > ////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

    • Brian K
      Message 2 of 6 , Mar 9, 2007
        I personally like "Astarte" better than "Sea Son".

        --- In avant-progressive@yahoogroups.com, "zeuhlmate" <michael@...>
        wrote:

> [...]
        > > show that I have, protect the other one as the punches will come
        > > fast and furious :-)
        > >
        > > > Anyway I'll keep listening and I expect it to keep growing on
        me.

        > > And I'm sure it will. Astarte will be even more laid back, so
        perhaps
        > > waiting on that one might be advised.
        > >
        > > --
        > > Bob
        > >
        > > _ ____|____====___H___________________====_====_====_
        > > |_______| [[[[ ####### ###### |
        > > ______| [][] |____ """ Missouri Pacific |
        > > |o ____| MP |__| \___________________________/\_________|
        > > _| / |_5001_| \_| | | | | | | | | | | | |_|
        > > _|=|====|======|===|===/\=================================|_|
        > > _| [(o)=(o)=(o)] |____________________| [(o)=(o)=(o)] |_|
        > > [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] []
        > > ////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

      • Tomas Casanova
        Message 3 of 6 , Mar 9, 2007
          Thanks for the info. Michael,

          Hey, has Yugen waiting in line for the 1st spin...I had only read good reviews about it...!, how is it for you Michael ?

          Thanks in advance,
          Tomàs-.

          n.p.: Flaket Brisnner / same ****!!.

          zeuhlmate <michael@...> wrote:
          /Michael

          Np: YUGEN !

          Recent Activity

          3
          New Members

          Visit Your Group

          Christian rock music
          Russian pop music
          Pop music
          Pop rock
          Pop rock music

          Elvis Lives?
          Sing like Elvis?
          Show us your
          stuff and win!

          Y! Toolbar
          Get it Free!
          easy 1-click access
          to your groups.

          Yahoo! Groups
          Start a group
          in 3 easy steps.
          Connect with others.

          .

        • zeuhlmate
          Message 4 of 6 , Mar 10, 2007
            I like Yugen a lot !
            Its very complex, very rehearsal-intensive, and not every tune has
            opened up, and a few tracks (still ?) feels awkward in connection with
            the others. It will take a while before I am completely familiar with
            everything.
            Inspiration from lots of stuff I like, from moderne classic composers
            to Gentle Giant and Stormy Six (off course) but also new ideas and
            sounds I havent heard before, when it comes to 'rock' music.
            A 'must' for Rio-fans.
            Favorite tunes: nr.2 and the last one.

            http://www.waysidemusic.com/ProductInfo.aspx?productid=ALTROCK%20001

            --- In avant-progressive@yahoogroups.com, Tomas Casanova