Re: [avant-progressive] Today's menu: Apocalypse de Kobaia

  • StoOdin101@aol.com
    Message 1 of 15 , Mar 11, 2001
      In a message dated 3/11/01 3:39:48 PM Eastern Standard Time,
      manno@... writes:

      << all my other experience
      of god-botherers has been that they are not the type to listen music of that
      sort. >>

      If by "god-botherer" you mean the Christians, I can tell you that I am both
      Christian and a minister, yet I maliciously defeat your theory by having
      Magma discs on my racks. Not to mention the hundreds of other bands,
      composers, and musicians, or my own RIO-ish electronic compositions.

      Of course, there is no worthwhile progrock that is overtly Christian (or if
      there is, I've never found it --- the bro-in-law tried to turn me on to
      Petra last week, but they were horrible beyond measure. Of course, to him
      Petra, Magma, Forever Einstein and Don Ellis probably all sound the same:
      "weird stuff." ), so I have to go to Messiaen, Penderecki and Wuorinen for my
      musical theology. So to speak.

      "Music is not a language; it doesn't have the task of expressing something
      through sounds and symbols. Music stands by itself; there's nothing
      beyond it."---Iannis Xenakis
    • Rudy A Carrera
      Message 2 of 15 , Mar 11, 2001
        manno@... writes:

[...]

        I have to fully agree with this. I am a Christian, and I most certainly
        listen
        to a lot of "secular" music, especially when in comes to avant-garde, free
        jazz,
        modern classical, even noise, industrial and the like. It has nothing to do
        with
        whether the music is spiritual. In fact, I lecture a little on these
        musics.

        If you don't like Christianity, fair enough. That's your loss. However, it
        would
        be nice if we weren't pigeon-holed as not having varied musical tastes.

        Regards,

        Rudy Carrera
        Fal├žata-Galia Recordings
        http://come.to/falcatagalia
        Masked Superstar Recordings
        http://www.astrozombie.net/amask/
      • Michel Ramond
        Message 3 of 15 , Mar 12, 2001
          > I'll say it again . even though no-one seems to take notice of it. I saw a
          whole
          > bunch of people marching under a huge Magma banner in a religious festival
          in
          > France in 74

          where exactly did it take place ?

          michel (surprised)
        • Box0@aol.com
          Message 4 of 15 , Mar 12, 2001
            --- In avant-progressive@y..., StoOdin101@a... wrote:

            >I like the song parody, but Sirius would be Karlheinz Stockhausen's
            divine cosmic orb of choice, not Vander's.

            so what your saying is, that it can't be sirius? ;-(

            np: BOO - an excellent disk for more of an avant-punk sound that
            i just recieved via Tamizdat:RPM featuring former members of Dunaj &
            Metamorphosis. check 'em out at: http://www.boo.cz/boo-en.asp
          • manno
            Message 5 of 15 , Mar 12, 2001
              Doesn't the exception prove the rule??:-))

              StoOdin101@... wrote:

              > In a message dated 3/11/01 3:39:48 PM Eastern Standard Time,
              > manno@... writes:
              >
              > << all my other experience
              > of god-botherers has been that they are not the type to listen music of that
              > sort. >>
              >
              > If by "god-botherer" you mean the Christians, I can tell you that I am both
              > Christian and a minister, yet I maliciously defeat your theory by having
              > Magma discs on my racks. Not to mention the hundreds of other bands,
              > composers, and musicians, or my own RIO-ish electronic compositions.
              >
              > Of course, there is no worthwhile progrock that is overtly Christian (or if
              > there is, I've never found it --- the bro-in-law tried to turn me on to
              > Petra last week, but they were horrible beyond measure. Of course, to him
              > Petra, Magma, Forever Einstein and Don Ellis probably all sound the same:
              > "weird stuff." ), so I have to go to Messiaen, Penderecki and Wuorinen for my
              > musical theology. So to speak.
              >
              > "Music is not a language; it doesn't have the task of expressing something
              > through sounds and symbols. Music stands by itself; there's nothing
              > beyond it."---Iannis Xenakis
              >

              > Community email addresses:
              > Post message: avant-progressive@onelist.com
              > Subscribe: avant-progressive-subscribe@onelist.com
              >
              > Shortcut URL to this page:
              > http://www.onelist.com/community/avant-progressive

            • manno
              Message 6 of 15 , Mar 12, 2001
                I think it's called the Grotto of Mary Magdalene, some of her bones are in a
                glass case, and there's monks and stuff up in the cave. It was on the feast day
                of Jeanne d'Arc....long time ago!!

              • dokwebb@aol.com
                Message 7 of 15 , Mar 12, 2001
                  << Of course, there is no worthwhile progrock that is overtly Christian >>

                  Try the band Earthsuits ... not progrock... but a wonderful almagration of
                  various styles with a cutting edge production. A very young group that has
                  it in spades and shovels. They do rock!

                  Dok
                • Box0@aol.com
                  Message 8 of 15 , Mar 12, 2001
                    mark jung wrote:
                    > seconded. also check out sing sing, deep sweden, the below-
                    mentioned metamorphosis disk, and dang near anything else on rachot.
                    the czech republic RAWKS!

                    indeed it does!! .. & i will do about the Metamorphosis disk. yep,
                    the Czech Rep. is pretty much where my interests lie at present & i
                    do have my eye's on Rachot as a prime source. still waiting for their
                    web-site to do something but Tamizdat is definitely the place to go
                    for on-line ordering. what can you tell me about the Dunaj related
                    projects "E" & or Vaclavek/Bittova's "Bile Inferno"? (i've got my
                    loyal & soon to be visiting german scout out on a hunt for the
                    live "Klar" cd!)

                    -mk
                  • upnsm0ke
                    Message 9 of 15 , Mar 12, 2001
                      > From: <StoOdin101@...>
                      >
                      > In a message dated 3/11/01 3:39:48 PM Eastern Standard Time,
                      > manno@... writes:
                      >
                      > << all my other experience of god-botherers has been that they
                      > are not the type to listen music of that sort. >>
                      >
                      > If by "god-botherer" you mean the Christians, I can tell you that I am
                      > both Christian and a minister, yet I maliciously defeat your theory by
                      having
                      > Magma discs on my racks. Not to mention the hundreds of other bands,
                      > composers, and musicians, or my own RIO-ish electronic compositions.

                      Right on. To assume somebody doesn't listen to music within a certain
                      category as per their faith/beliefs is absurd, like suggesting somebody
                      couldn't enjoy Bud Powell because they're Buddhist.

                      > Of course, there is no worthwhile progrock that is overtly Christian
                      > (or if there is, I've never found it --- the bro-in-law tried to turn me
                      on to
                      > Petra last week, but they were horrible beyond measure. >

                      Petra = cruddy, poppy tuneage, like most 'Christian' pop a la David Meece,
                      Twila Paris, etc. Have you heard Saviour Machine? Very cool
                      goth/prog-metally quintet who have a few releases, and they're even in the
                      middle of a
                      3-volume CD triolgy based on the Revelation Of St. John. However, I'd start
                      with their _Live In Deutscheland_ release. I also like the first two
                      Tourniquet CDs, _Psycho Surgery_ & _Pathogenic Ocular Dissonance_ (but that
                      ain't prog!).

                      E-Man
                      np: Simonetti Horror Project
                    • upnsm0ke
                      Message 10 of 15 , Mar 12, 2001
                        > From: <dokwebb@...>
                        >
                        > Try the band Earthsuits ... not progrock... but a wonderful almagration of
                        > various styles with a cutting edge production. A very young group that
                        has
                        > it in spades and shovels. They do rock!

                        Links?

                        E-Man