Re: [avant-progressive] Re: Today's menu: Apocalypse de Kobaia

  • StoOdin101@aol.com
    Message 1 of 15 , Mar 11, 2001
      In a message dated 3/11/01 7:58:36 PM Eastern Standard Time, Box0@...
      writes:

      << KO-bi-yah, my Lord, KO-bi-yah!
      KO-bi-yah, my Lord, KO-bi-yah!
      Oh Lord, you can't be sirius? >>

      I like the song parody, but Sirius would be Karlheinz Stockhausen's divine
      cosmic orb of choice, not Vander's.

      NP: Saga of Ragnar Lodbrock (beautiful, sparsely orchestrated melodies, great
      Medieval atmosphere, Gothic chanting, but afflicted with the peculiar French
      compulsion to narrate endlessly over the music! Still very fine...)

      "Music is not a language; it doesn't have the task of expressing something
      through sounds and symbols. Music stands by itself; there's nothing
      beyond it."---Iannis Xenakis
    • StoOdin101@aol.com
      Message 2 of 15 , Mar 11, 2001
        In a message dated 3/11/01 3:39:48 PM Eastern Standard Time,
        manno@... writes:

        << all my other experience
        of god-botherers has been that they are not the type to listen music of that
        sort. >>

        If by "god-botherer" you mean the Christians, I can tell you that I am both
        Christian and a minister, yet I maliciously defeat your theory by having
        Magma discs on my racks. Not to mention the hundreds of other bands,
        composers, and musicians, or my own RIO-ish electronic compositions.

        Of course, there is no worthwhile progrock that is overtly Christian (or if
        there is, I've never found it --- the bro-in-law tried to turn me on to
        Petra last week, but they were horrible beyond measure. Of course, to him
        Petra, Magma, Forever Einstein and Don Ellis probably all sound the same:
        "weird stuff." ), so I have to go to Messiaen, Penderecki and Wuorinen for my
        musical theology. So to speak.

        "Music is not a language; it doesn't have the task of expressing something
        through sounds and symbols. Music stands by itself; there's nothing
        beyond it."---Iannis Xenakis
      • Rudy A Carrera
        Message 3 of 15 , Mar 11, 2001
          manno@... writes:

[...]

          I have to fully agree with this. I am a Christian, and I most certainly
          listen
          to a lot of "secular" music, especially when in comes to avant-garde, free
          jazz,
          modern classical, even noise, industrial and the like. It has nothing to do
          with
          whether the music is spiritual. In fact, I lecture a little on these
          musics.

          If you don't like Christianity, fair enough. That's your loss. However, it
          would
          be nice if we weren't pigeon-holed as not having varied musical tastes.

          Regards,

          Rudy Carrera
          Fal├žata-Galia Recordings
          http://come.to/falcatagalia
          Masked Superstar Recordings
          http://www.astrozombie.net/amask/
        • Michel Ramond
          Message 4 of 15 , Mar 12, 2001
            > I'll say it again . even though no-one seems to take notice of it. I saw a
            whole
            > bunch of people marching under a huge Magma banner in a religious festival
            in
            > France in 74

            where exactly did it take place ?

            michel (surprised)
          • Box0@aol.com
            Message 5 of 15 , Mar 12, 2001
              --- In avant-progressive@y..., StoOdin101@a... wrote:

              >I like the song parody, but Sirius would be Karlheinz Stockhausen's
              divine cosmic orb of choice, not Vander's.

              so what your saying is, that it can't be sirius? ;-(

              np: BOO - an excellent disk for more of an avant-punk sound that
              i just recieved via Tamizdat:RPM featuring former members of Dunaj &
              Metamorphosis. check 'em out at: http://www.boo.cz/boo-en.asp
            • manno
              Message 6 of 15 , Mar 12, 2001
                Doesn't the exception prove the rule??:-))

                StoOdin101@... wrote:

                > In a message dated 3/11/01 3:39:48 PM Eastern Standard Time,
                > manno@... writes:
                >
                > << all my other experience
                > of god-botherers has been that they are not the type to listen music of that
                > sort. >>
                >
                > If by "god-botherer" you mean the Christians, I can tell you that I am both
                > Christian and a minister, yet I maliciously defeat your theory by having
                > Magma discs on my racks. Not to mention the hundreds of other bands,
                > composers, and musicians, or my own RIO-ish electronic compositions.
                >
                > Of course, there is no worthwhile progrock that is overtly Christian (or if
                > there is, I've never found it --- the bro-in-law tried to turn me on to
                > Petra last week, but they were horrible beyond measure. Of course, to him
                > Petra, Magma, Forever Einstein and Don Ellis probably all sound the same:
                > "weird stuff." ), so I have to go to Messiaen, Penderecki and Wuorinen for my
                > musical theology. So to speak.
                >
                > "Music is not a language; it doesn't have the task of expressing something
                > through sounds and symbols. Music stands by itself; there's nothing
                > beyond it."---Iannis Xenakis
                >

                > Community email addresses:
                > Post message: avant-progressive@onelist.com
                > Subscribe: avant-progressive-subscribe@onelist.com
                >
                > Shortcut URL to this page:
                > http://www.onelist.com/community/avant-progressive

              • manno
                Message 7 of 15 , Mar 12, 2001
                  I think it's called the Grotto of Mary Magdalene, some of her bones are in a
                  glass case, and there's monks and stuff up in the cave. It was on the feast day
                  of Jeanne d'Arc....long time ago!!

                • dokwebb@aol.com
                  Message 8 of 15 , Mar 12, 2001
                    << Of course, there is no worthwhile progrock that is overtly Christian >>

                    Try the band Earthsuits ... not progrock... but a wonderful almagration of
                    various styles with a cutting edge production. A very young group that has
                    it in spades and shovels. They do rock!

                    Dok
                  • Box0@aol.com
                    Message 9 of 15 , Mar 12, 2001
                      mark jung wrote:
                      > seconded. also check out sing sing, deep sweden, the below-
                      mentioned metamorphosis disk, and dang near anything else on rachot.
                      the czech republic RAWKS!

                      indeed it does!! .. & i will do about the Metamorphosis disk. yep,
                      the Czech Rep. is pretty much where my interests lie at present & i
                      do have my eye's on Rachot as a prime source. still waiting for their
                      web-site to do something but Tamizdat is definitely the place to go
                      for on-line ordering. what can you tell me about the Dunaj related
                      projects "E" & or Vaclavek/Bittova's "Bile Inferno"? (i've got my
                      loyal & soon to be visiting german scout out on a hunt for the
                      live "Klar" cd!)

                      -mk
                    • upnsm0ke
                      Message 10 of 15 , Mar 12, 2001
                        > From: <StoOdin101@...>
                        >
                        > In a message dated 3/11/01 3:39:48 PM Eastern Standard Time,
                        > manno@... writes:
                        >
                        > << all my other experience of god-botherers has been that they
                        > are not the type to listen music of that sort. >>
                        >
                        > If by "god-botherer" you mean the Christians, I can tell you that I am
                        > both Christian and a minister, yet I maliciously defeat your theory by
                        having
                        > Magma discs on my racks. Not to mention the hundreds of other bands,
                        > composers, and musicians, or my own RIO-ish electronic compositions.

                        Right on. To assume somebody doesn't listen to music within a certain
                        category as per their faith/beliefs is absurd, like suggesting somebody
                        couldn't enjoy Bud Powell because they're Buddhist.

                        > Of course, there is no worthwhile progrock that is overtly Christian
                        > (or if there is, I've never found it --- the bro-in-law tried to turn me
                        on to
                        > Petra last week, but they were horrible beyond measure. >

                        Petra = cruddy, poppy tuneage, like most 'Christian' pop a la David Meece,
                        Twila Paris, etc. Have you heard Saviour Machine? Very cool
                        goth/prog-metally quintet who have a few releases, and they're even in the
                        middle of a
                        3-volume CD triolgy based on the Revelation Of St. John. However, I'd start
                        with their _Live In Deutscheland_ release. I also like the first two
                        Tourniquet CDs, _Psycho Surgery_ & _Pathogenic Ocular Dissonance_ (but that
                        ain't prog!).

                        E-Man
                        np: Simonetti Horror Project
                      • upnsm0ke
                        Message 11 of 15 , Mar 12, 2001
                          > From: <dokwebb@...>
                          >
                          > Try the band Earthsuits ... not progrock... but a wonderful almagration of
                          > various styles with a cutting edge production. A very young group that
                          has
                          > it in spades and shovels. They do rock!

                          Links?

                          E-Man