Re: tim buckley & This Mortal Coil : song to the MARKETPLACE

    Message 1 of 3 , Aug 3 2:56 PM
      > the tragedy of him having his true artistic quest squashed by society...

      He's not the only one. There's plenty of squashed artists on that big ol'
      highway we live on. As gently as possible I do a fair amount of squishing myself.
      A portion of my job consists of saying 'no thank you' to pretty good things
      (or better than pretty good) that I don't think I can sell... It is quite sad
      and I *try* not to let it bother me.

      My dad, who who has no appreciation whatsoever of 'new music', but is
      interested in what I do from a 'dad' point of view (i.e. he's glad I am apparently
      successful enough that I am not moving in back home again) once said something
      very wise, I think:

      Being able to play an instrument really well is a truly rare gift. It really
      is. But there are still more people with that gift than the market will
      support....

    • Michael Anton Parker
      Message 2 of 3 , Aug 3 4:09 PM
        On 8/3/06, CuneiWay@... <CuneiWay@...> wrote:

        > > the tragedy of him having his true artistic quest squashed by society...
        > >

        > He's not the only one. There's plenty of squashed artists on that big ol'
        > highway we live on. As gently as possible I do a fair amount of squishing myself.
        > A portion of my job consists of saying 'no thank you' to pretty good things
        > (or better than pretty good) that I don't think I can sell... It is quite sad
        > and I *try* not to let it bother me.

        er, well, yeah, but great musicians are a dime a dozen. lots of
        unrealized potential floating around like the smells from rotten
        canteloupes. it's easy to just buy or grow a fresh one to temper the
        summer heat. on the other hand, tim buckley's artistic quest was one
        of those singular transcendental climaxes of human culture that number
        in the double digits across all times and places. it's a whole
        different can of worms than an avant-prog gem playing in the minor
        leagues versus the slightly less minor leagues.

        mike

        np: akron family (self-titled) (this is great!!! similar to recent
        animal collective, etc)
        Message 3 of 3 , Aug 4 6:25 AM
          I like and admire Tim Buckley greatly
          however:
          I am amused how you *always* state your personal opinion as pure fact. Which
          it isn't; it's your opinion. I can think of a great number of artists squished
          by 'the market' or what-have-you who I find of greater personal interest and
          a greater tragedy than Tim Buckley. IMO.

          Your mileage obviously varies.

          Steve