Bernard Paganotti

  • zeuhlmate
    Message 1 of 16 , Aug 2, 2006
      http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio3/worldroutes/pip/5l7kw/

      One of my favorite bassplayers with Gipsy Kings. I hope they pay him
      well :-)
    • Naotsugu ITO
      Message 2 of 16 , Aug 2, 2006
        On Aug 2, 2006, at 7:05 PM, zeuhlmate wrote:

        > http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio3/worldroutes/pip/5l7kw/
        >
        > One of my favorite bassplayers with Gipsy Kings. I hope they pay him
        > well :-)

        Replacing Gerard Prevost by him? :-p

        Anyway, does anybody have a latest info about Paghistree?

        ---
        Naotsugu ITO
      • Frank Camiola
        Message 3 of 16 , Aug 2, 2006
          Subject: [avant-progressive] Bernard Paganotti

          > http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio3/worldroutes/pip/5l7kw/
          >
          > One of my favorite bassplayers with Gipsy Kings. I hope they pay him
          > well :-)

          How are the gypsy kings?

          I have never heard them, but I do love flamenco guitar music - but something
          tells me they may be on the commercial side of that style of music, but I am
          just blind guessing. Anybody familiar with them?

          Frankie
        • greg manson
          Message 4 of 16 , Aug 2, 2006
            I've bloody heard them, they had a minor hit in the 80's with Bamboleo, and
            I had the misfortune to be playing at the Sydney Spanish club when they
            toured here. I heard that song non-stop in 7 different mixes for at least 8
            hours..poisoned my appreciation of anything else they might possibly do. I
            believe they are very good tho, I just don't wanna know, the memory is still
            too horrible.
            Dr greg
            Try some Manitas de Plata instead, he's from the same region.

            > One of my favorite bassplayers with Gipsy Kings. I hope they pay him
            > well :-)

            How are the gypsy kings?

            I have never heard them, but I do love flamenco guitar music - but something

            tells me they may be on the commercial side of that style of music, but I am

            just blind guessing. Anybody familiar with them?

            Frankie

            Subscribe: avant-progressive-subscribe@...

            Yahoo! Groups Links

          • Tomas Casanova
            Message 5 of 16 , Aug 2, 2006
              Hello Framkie:

              Yes, you´re correct with your *blind guessing*.
              I like their music, they have some good albums IMO.

              *The Gipsy Kings are largely responsible for bringing the joyful
              sounds of progressive pop-oriented flamenco, called Sevillana in
              Spain, to the world.* (from AMG)

              Frankie, before they were GK, they made a couple of really good
              albums as Los Reyes:
              *...played traditional, albeit passionate flamenco music punctuated
              by Tonino's precise guitar playing and Nicolas' exceptional voice.*
              (AMG)

              http://www.allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p=amg&sql=11:bx6m963o3ep3~T1

              Another site:
              - Gipsy King´s net: (unofficial one: info+video & sound samples-ect.)

              http://www.gipsykings.net/

              - Gipsy Kings FAQ: (Frankie, all you need to know about this
              *ensamble* ! )

              http://www.gipsykings.net/gkfaq.html

              *HOW WOULD YOU CATEGORIZE THEIR MUSIC?

              What GK play today is traditional Spanish Gypsy music taken one step
              further. It has been called Flamenco/Rumba and Rumba Catalan, and
              while its roots are in Flamenco, the more up-beat rumba is what we
              know them for. In the early days with Jose and even when the Reyes
              and Baliardos first started playing together the "produced" sound was
              absent. That was a more recent addition, as is the addition of the
              backup band. As Gypsies, these travellers picked up many musical
              influences along the way on their journey from India to Spain. That
              accounts for the Arabic, Indian, Middle Eastern and other influences
              we hear. *

              My 3 colones,
              all the best,

              Tomás-.

              n.p.: L´Ensemble Rayé / Meme en Hiver, comme un pinson dans L´eau:
              - Hey Gang, first time/spin with their work...some comments later,
              anyone ? -

              Message 6 of 16 , Aug 2, 2006
                Thanks for the Gypsy Kings info, Tomas. I may pick up "Roots" (which seems
                to be more authentic) from BMG for dirt cheap some day. Can't go wrong for
                $2.79.

              • zeuhlmate
                Message 7 of 16 , Aug 3, 2006
                  I'm petrified :-)
                  I am with Gregg here.

                  In my head Gipsy Kings compares to Flamenco like Kenny G compares to
                  Garbarek - and now I have advertized for them :-)

                  If you want Flamenco there should be plenty of alternatives...

                  / Michael

                  --- In avant-progressive@yahoogroups.com, "Frank Camiola"
                  <fcamiola@...> wrote:

                  > Thanks for the Gypsy Kings info, Tomas. I may pick up "Roots" (which
                  seems
                  > to be more authentic) from BMG for dirt cheap some day. Can't go
                  wrong for
                  > $2.79.

                • Tomas Casanova
                  Message 8 of 16 , Aug 3, 2006
                    Michael-Greg:

                    I think that maybe *Roots* may change your thoughts about GK, trust
                    me!.

                    There´re more or a bunch more of Flamenco outputs, of course, but,
                    GK , isn´t that bad Michael (I´m writing about their non commercial
                    works)

                    All the best,
                    Tomás-.
                    n.p.: Chano Dominguez / Hecho a Mano ****.

                    <michael@...> wrote:

                    > I'm petrified :-)
                    > I am with Gregg here.
                    >
                    > In my head Gipsy Kings compares to Flamenco like Kenny G compares to
                    > Garbarek - and now I have advertized for them :-)
                    >
                    > If you want Flamenco there should be plenty of alternatives...
                    >
                    > / Michael
                  • palcontented1
                    Message 9 of 16 , Aug 3, 2006
                      --- In avant-progressive@yahoogroups.com, "zeuhlmate" <michael@...> wrote:

                      > I'm petrified :-)
                      > I am with Gregg here.
                      >
                      > In my head Gipsy Kings compares to Flamenco like Kenny G compares to
                      > Garbarek - and now I have advertized for them :-)
                      >
                      > If you want Flamenco there should be plenty of alternatives...
                      >
                      > / Michael

                      Feliu Gasull, for instance, makes music that's both modern and true to
                      the spirit of Flamenco.
                    • Frank Camiola
                      Message 10 of 16 , Aug 3, 2006
                        From: "zeuhlmate" <michael@...>

                        > I'm petrified :-)
                        > I am with Gregg here.
                        >
                        > In my head Gipsy Kings compares to Flamenco like Kenny G compares to
                        > Garbarek - and now I have advertized for them :-)

                        You can have 'em both. Garbarek may be a decent player, but I cannot stand
                        the soprano sax for more than about 6 seconds. Zakir has an (otherwise)
                        excellent album called "Making Music" with McLaughlin, but Garbarek just
                        "kills" it. (not the good "kills" BTW). The combination of east/west in this
                        context doesn't do it for me, and the other problem is that Garbarek's
                        soprano level is about twice as hot as it should be. Every time he enters to
                        blow, I cringe. I cannot believe those crazy cats at ECM didn't notice this
                        minor detail. Blech.

                        Frankie