Re: [avant-progressive] Sufjan Stevens

  • Michael Anton Parker
    Message 1 of 16 , Jul 31, 2006
      On 1/17/06, StoOdin101@... <StoOdin101@...> wrote:

      > I just got the second release of Stevens' intended 50-disc project (and
      > Stockhausen thought LICHT was a big deal), ILLINOIS: this stuff is great!
      > Somewhere between Brian Woodbury, Phil Glass, Steve Reich and Van
      > Dyke Parks, with
      > lyrics as clever as anything Peter Blegvad has ever penned... a true American
      > eccentric! I saw vol. 1, MICHIGAN, at the local chain shop too...I'll have to
      > nab that later. Also got Chiodos' first disc, but that's gotta wait for a
      > review --- I must spin ILLINOIS again!

      Quite inexplicably, I wound up listening to Illinois and the newer
      Avalanche back-to-back this evening while doing some chores, and I
      have four observations:

      1. Don't ever do this. It's way too much Sufjan to take at once. His
      schtick and formula does wear thin. I think I'm gonna need some Black
      Sabbath or Comus to fix myself after that.
      2. My initial super-positive impressions of Illinois aren't holding up
      that well. I think at first I was knocked out by some of the baroque
      instrumental passages underpinning epic songs, but now I realize that
      there's not an especially large amount of those great moments and that
      the bulk of the music is a kind of second-rate Nick Drake ripoff (but
      keep in mind that even a fourth-rate Drake ripoff would be a rather
      excellent thing!!). I still like it a good deal overall though.
      3. I think Avalanche is better. It has some shades of Stereolab on a
      few tracks and it's otherwise pretty similar. Well, it is an album of
      *outtakes* from Illinois after all.
      4. While listening, I kept thinking about things that are loosely
      interchangeable in some way or another and that I'd rather be
      listening to instead. Besides Drake, Sufjan doesn't light a candle to
      Van Dyke Parks' Song Cycle or any number of Jethro Tull albums.

      Mike
    • zeuhlmate
      Message 2 of 16 , Aug 2, 2006
        http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio3/worldroutes/pip/5l7kw/

        One of my favorite bassplayers with Gipsy Kings. I hope they pay him
        well :-)
      • Naotsugu ITO
        Message 3 of 16 , Aug 2, 2006
          On Aug 2, 2006, at 7:05 PM, zeuhlmate wrote:

          > http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio3/worldroutes/pip/5l7kw/
          >
          > One of my favorite bassplayers with Gipsy Kings. I hope they pay him
          > well :-)

          Replacing Gerard Prevost by him? :-p

          Anyway, does anybody have a latest info about Paghistree?

          ---
          Naotsugu ITO
        • Frank Camiola
          Message 4 of 16 , Aug 2, 2006
            Subject: [avant-progressive] Bernard Paganotti

            > http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio3/worldroutes/pip/5l7kw/
            >
            > One of my favorite bassplayers with Gipsy Kings. I hope they pay him
            > well :-)

            How are the gypsy kings?

            I have never heard them, but I do love flamenco guitar music - but something
            tells me they may be on the commercial side of that style of music, but I am
            just blind guessing. Anybody familiar with them?

            Frankie
          • greg manson
            Message 5 of 16 , Aug 2, 2006
              I've bloody heard them, they had a minor hit in the 80's with Bamboleo, and
              I had the misfortune to be playing at the Sydney Spanish club when they
              toured here. I heard that song non-stop in 7 different mixes for at least 8
              hours..poisoned my appreciation of anything else they might possibly do. I
              believe they are very good tho, I just don't wanna know, the memory is still
              too horrible.
              Dr greg
              Try some Manitas de Plata instead, he's from the same region.

              > One of my favorite bassplayers with Gipsy Kings. I hope they pay him
              > well :-)

              How are the gypsy kings?

              I have never heard them, but I do love flamenco guitar music - but something

              tells me they may be on the commercial side of that style of music, but I am

              just blind guessing. Anybody familiar with them?

              Frankie

              Subscribe: avant-progressive-subscribe@...

              Yahoo! Groups Links

            • Tomas Casanova
              Message 6 of 16 , Aug 2, 2006
                Hello Framkie:

                Yes, you´re correct with your *blind guessing*.
                I like their music, they have some good albums IMO.

                *The Gipsy Kings are largely responsible for bringing the joyful
                sounds of progressive pop-oriented flamenco, called Sevillana in
                Spain, to the world.* (from AMG)

                Frankie, before they were GK, they made a couple of really good
                albums as Los Reyes:
                *...played traditional, albeit passionate flamenco music punctuated
                by Tonino's precise guitar playing and Nicolas' exceptional voice.*
                (AMG)

                http://www.allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p=amg&sql=11:bx6m963o3ep3~T1

                Another site:
                - Gipsy King´s net: (unofficial one: info+video & sound samples-ect.)

                http://www.gipsykings.net/

                - Gipsy Kings FAQ: (Frankie, all you need to know about this
                *ensamble* ! )

                http://www.gipsykings.net/gkfaq.html

                *HOW WOULD YOU CATEGORIZE THEIR MUSIC?

                What GK play today is traditional Spanish Gypsy music taken one step
                further. It has been called Flamenco/Rumba and Rumba Catalan, and
                while its roots are in Flamenco, the more up-beat rumba is what we
                know them for. In the early days with Jose and even when the Reyes
                and Baliardos first started playing together the "produced" sound was
                absent. That was a more recent addition, as is the addition of the
                backup band. As Gypsies, these travellers picked up many musical
                influences along the way on their journey from India to Spain. That
                accounts for the Arabic, Indian, Middle Eastern and other influences
                we hear. *

                My 3 colones,
                all the best,

                Tomás-.

                n.p.: L´Ensemble Rayé / Meme en Hiver, comme un pinson dans L´eau:
                - Hey Gang, first time/spin with their work...some comments later,
                anyone ? -

                Message 7 of 16 , Aug 2, 2006
                  Thanks for the Gypsy Kings info, Tomas. I may pick up "Roots" (which seems
                  to be more authentic) from BMG for dirt cheap some day. Can't go wrong for
                  $2.79.

                • zeuhlmate
                  Message 8 of 16 , Aug 3, 2006
                    I'm petrified :-)
                    I am with Gregg here.

                    In my head Gipsy Kings compares to Flamenco like Kenny G compares to
                    Garbarek - and now I have advertized for them :-)

                    If you want Flamenco there should be plenty of alternatives...

                    / Michael

                    --- In avant-progressive@yahoogroups.com, "Frank Camiola"
                    <fcamiola@...> wrote:

                    > Thanks for the Gypsy Kings info, Tomas. I may pick up "Roots" (which
                    seems
                    > to be more authentic) from BMG for dirt cheap some day. Can't go
                    wrong for
                    > $2.79.

                  • Tomas Casanova
                    Message 9 of 16 , Aug 3, 2006
                      Michael-Greg:

                      I think that maybe *Roots* may change your thoughts about GK, trust
                      me!.

                      There´re more or a bunch more of Flamenco outputs, of course, but,
                      GK , isn´t that bad Michael (I´m writing about their non commercial
                      works)

                      All the best,
                      Tomás-.
                      n.p.: Chano Dominguez / Hecho a Mano ****.

                      <michael@...> wrote:

                      > I'm petrified :-)
                      > I am with Gregg here.
                      >
                      > In my head Gipsy Kings compares to Flamenco like Kenny G compares to
                      > Garbarek - and now I have advertized for them :-)
                      >
                      > If you want Flamenco there should be plenty of alternatives...
                      >
                      > / Michael
                    • palcontented1
                      Message 10 of 16 , Aug 3, 2006
                        --- In avant-progressive@yahoogroups.com, "zeuhlmate" <michael@...> wrote:

                        > I'm petrified :-)
                        > I am with Gregg here.
                        >
                        > In my head Gipsy Kings compares to Flamenco like Kenny G compares to
                        > Garbarek - and now I have advertized for them :-)
                        >
                        > If you want Flamenco there should be plenty of alternatives...
                        >
                        > / Michael

                        Feliu Gasull, for instance, makes music that's both modern and true to
                        the spirit of Flamenco.
                      • Frank Camiola
                        Message 11 of 16 , Aug 3, 2006
                          From: "zeuhlmate" <michael@...>

                          > I'm petrified :-)
                          > I am with Gregg here.
                          >
                          > In my head Gipsy Kings compares to Flamenco like Kenny G compares to
                          > Garbarek - and now I have advertized for them :-)

                          You can have 'em both. Garbarek may be a decent player, but I cannot stand
                          the soprano sax for more than about 6 seconds. Zakir has an (otherwise)
                          excellent album called "Making Music" with McLaughlin, but Garbarek just
                          "kills" it. (not the good "kills" BTW). The combination of east/west in this
                          context doesn't do it for me, and the other problem is that Garbarek's
                          soprano level is about twice as hot as it should be. Every time he enters to
                          blow, I cringe. I cannot believe those crazy cats at ECM didn't notice this
                          minor detail. Blech.

                          Frankie