John Zorn - The Parachute Years 1977-1980

  • otomstreet@comcast.net
    Message 1 of 3 , May 1, 2006
      Well I managed to listen to 4 of the 7 discs so far and while it's hard to get an honest impression on the first listen of any form of complex music I can tell 2 things. Firs:t this isn't really my thing, lots of interesting sounds but not enough there to pull them together. Second: with each disc Zorn get better as there is more to it holding things together. Now I'm sure this set will grow on me and in time I'll get to the point where I will enjoy the whole thing but I would only recommend this set to someone who is already a Zorn fan and into abstract music. Not required listening in my book and I really like what I've heard of Zorn.

      Thom
    • Mike Borella
      Message 2 of 3 , May 6, 2006
        otomstreet@... wrote:
        > Well I managed to listen to 4 of the 7 discs so far and while it's hard to get an honest impression on the first listen of any form of complex music I can tell 2 things. Firs:t this isn't really my thing, lots of interesting sounds but not enough there to pull them together. Second: with each disc Zorn get better as there is more to it holding things together. Now I'm sure this set will grow on me and in time I'll get to the point where I will enjoy the whole thing but I would only recommend this set to someone who is already a Zorn fan and into abstract music. Not required listening in my book and I really like what I've heard of Zorn.

        Yeah, I'd pretty much agree. I like a lot of Zorn but not these recordings.

        --
        Mike Borella
        mike at borella dot net

        Avant Music News