RE: RIP Doug Walker

  • Marc Adler
    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 6, 2006
      It was with great sadness that I read Jerry's message here.

      I am happy to say that I was one of Doug's oldest friends, having
      met him in 1975 through our mutual friend, Lee Teich. At that time,
      I was a Canterbury/Zeuhl/Prog listener. Doug introduced me to the
      world of free jazz through his amazing record collection ... he
      exposed me to artists such as Sam Rivers, Gunter Hampel, Art
      Ensemble, etc.

      I played with Doug in the rock/free-jazz band Third Sun in the mid
      70's, and I took part in some early Alien Planetscpare incarnations.

      Doug was a relentless promoter of his music, and of space music in
      general. He was constantly making cassettes and CDs of Alien
      Planetscape and sending them all over the world. Doug corrresponded
      with countless people over the years, and was a friend to the entire
      prog rock community. People like Steve Feigenbaum, Barney Jones, the
      Muffins, William Hooker, Borbetomagus, Hawkwind, etc knew Doug very
      well and were all infected by Doug's wit.

      Doug's wife Fran perished two years ago in an horrific car
      accident ... even in the face of that, Doug kept up a brave face.

      Doug's son Evan is three weeks younger than my own. My heart goes
      out to this boy who has lost both parents at such a young age.

      Doug's heart was weakened by a constant series of heart attacks,
      brought on by his life-long battle with diabetes. Thank god that
      Doug perished in his sleep, without pain.

      God bless you, Doug.
    • sdavmor
      Message 2 of 3 , Apr 6, 2006
        Marc Adler wrote:
        > It was with great sadness that I read Jerry's message here.
        >
        > I am happy to say that I was one of Doug's oldest friends, having
        > met him in 1975 through our mutual friend, Lee Teich. At that time,
        > I was a Canterbury/Zeuhl/Prog listener. Doug introduced me to the
        > world of free jazz through his amazing record collection ... he
        > exposed me to artists such as Sam Rivers, Gunter Hampel, Art
        > Ensemble, etc.
        >
        > I played with Doug in the rock/free-jazz band Third Sun in the mid
        > 70's, and I took part in some early Alien Planetscpare incarnations.
        >
        > Doug was a relentless promoter of his music, and of space music in
        > general. He was constantly making cassettes and CDs of Alien
        > Planetscape and sending them all over the world. Doug corrresponded
        > with countless people over the years, and was a friend to the entire
        > prog rock community. People like Steve Feigenbaum, Barney Jones, the
        > Muffins, William Hooker, Borbetomagus, Hawkwind, etc knew Doug very
        > well and were all infected by Doug's wit.
        >
        > Doug's wife Fran perished two years ago in an horrific car
        > accident ... even in the face of that, Doug kept up a brave face.
        >
        > Doug's son Evan is three weeks younger than my own. My heart goes
        > out to this boy who has lost both parents at such a young age.
        >
        > Doug's heart was weakened by a constant series of heart attacks,
        > brought on by his life-long battle with diabetes. Thank god that
        > Doug perished in his sleep, without pain.
        >
        > God bless you, Doug.

        That is a wonderful tribute to a charismatic and sometimes eccentric
        man. Thanks for sharing it.

        If there were really any justice in music, Doug and Alien Planetscapes
        would be much better known than they are (and wealthier too). I
        suspect that it will only be in hindsight that Doug's contributions to
        American music will be understood and appreciated.
        --
        Cheers,
        SDM -- a 21st century schizoid man
        Message 3 of 3 , Apr 9, 2006
          I spoke to Doug's sister. No funeral, but there is a tentative
          memorial schedules for Saturday April 22nd. If anyone is interested,
          I will post further details as I find out about them.