John Zorn - Bar Kokhba

  • otomstreet@comcast.net
    Message 1 of 7 , Mar 30, 2006
      Well it finally came today and already in the computer, downloaded into the iPod for tomorrow and I have it on now. I am completely impressed and find it a beautiful listening experience. I really can't imagine anyone with a fairly open mind towards music not liking this. Just on first listen I would give it a 13 Gnosis rating I'm enjoying it that much. I see myself buying a whole lot more of John Zorn's recordings. Bar Kokhba is nearly all acoustic pieces covering Jazz, Classical, Jewish, World, Avant Garde and I'm sure many other styles of music with a very nice flow, relaxing but interesting all at the same time. Take a chance and pick it up if you don't have it.

      Thom
    • Jean-Henry Berevoescu
      Message 2 of 7 , Mar 30, 2006
        otomstreet@... wrote:
        > Well it finally came today and already in the computer, downloaded into the iPod for tomorrow and I have it on now. I am completely impressed and find it a beautiful listening experience. I really can't imagine anyone with a fairly open mind towards music not liking this. Just on first listen I would give it a 13 Gnosis rating I'm enjoying it that much. I see myself buying a whole lot more of John Zorn's recordings. Bar Kokhba is nearly all acoustic pieces covering Jazz, Classical, Jewish, World, Avant Garde and I'm sure many other styles of music with a very nice flow, relaxing but interesting all at the same time. Take a chance and pick it up if you don't have it.
        >
        > Thom

        See? I told you you'll love it. :-)

        Jean

        --
        Please avoid sending me Word, Excel or PowerPoint attachments.
      • Frank Camiola
        Message 3 of 7 , Mar 30, 2006
          > Well it finally came today and already in the computer, downloaded into
          > the iPod for tomorrow and I have it on now. I am completely impressed and
          > find it a beautiful listening experience. I really can't imagine anyone
          > with a fairly open mind towards music not liking this. Just on first
          > listen I would give it a 13 Gnosis rating I'm enjoying it that much. I see
          > myself buying a whole lot more of John Zorn's recordings. Bar Kokhba is
          > nearly all acoustic pieces covering Jazz, Classical, Jewish, World, Avant
          > Garde and I'm sure many other styles of music with a very nice flow,
          > relaxing but interesting all at the same time. Take a chance and pick it
          > up if you don't have it.
          >
          > Thom

          One of a few Zorn albums I own. It's been a while, but I recall it being
          pleasant but not anything mind-blowing (for me personally). I am definitely
          due for another spin, but I have a long list of stuff I want to hear first.
          I did like the fact that he arranged some pieces as solos, duets, trios,
          etc.

          Thom, when your ready for some Ligeti (SQ No. 2 especially!), Bartok,
          Lutoslawski, and Webern string quartets, please lemme know. You need to hear
          those, trust me. Forget the fact that they are "classical"
          pieces/composers - it's all just music to my ears. Then it's Carters SQ's
          after that! Quite different than this version of Zorn (apples and oranges),
          but I cannot recommend those highly enough if you start to develop a
          fondness for string quartets/chamber music in general. This is music that
          EXCITES me, just thinking about it. I've been revisiting Ligeti's two SQ's
          this week in headphones (Arditti SQ) and I am in aural ecstacy (to say the
          least). If I were a wealthy SOB, I would buy everybody on this list a copy
          of that disc (The Ligeti Editon I on Sony). Unfortunately, I'm just a
          teacher! But I can try spread the word of these magnificent masterpieces.

          Worthy of any avant-prog fan in my book, and then some.

          Frankie
        • fastianed
          Message 4 of 7 , Mar 30, 2006
            Hey all,
            Just want to give everyone a heads up that Link TV is showing the film
            of Accordion Tribe tonight at 11:00 pm,5;00am, and 11:oo am and
            probably not again. These times are PST. This still can't be found
            on DVD although it supposedly was released in Switzerland. It case
            you didn't know, Accordion Tribe is Lars Hollmer, Bratko Bibic, Guy
            Klucevsek, Maria Kalaniemi, and Otto Lechner. I stumbled upon the
            last 15 minutes of it earlier this evening but I'm going to Tivo it
            later tonight. The end focused on Maria and it ended with them
            playing "Dark Side of the Moon". Link TV is channel 375 on Directv
            and I know Dish Network carries it too. I'm not sure about cable.
            Cheers,
            John T
          • Brandon Wu
            Message 5 of 7 , Mar 31, 2006
              --- In avant-progressive@yahoogroups.com, otomstreet@... wrote:

              > Well it finally came today and already in the computer, downloaded
              > into the iPod for tomorrow and I have it on now. I am completely
              > impressed and find it a beautiful listening experience. I really
              > can't imagine anyone with a fairly open mind towards music not
              > liking this. Just on first listen I would give it a 13 Gnosis rating
              > I'm enjoying it that much. I see myself buying a whole lot more of
              > John Zorn's recordings. Bar Kokhba is nearly all acoustic pieces
              > covering Jazz, Classical, Jewish, World, Avant Garde and I'm sure
              > many other styles of music with a very nice flow, relaxing but
              > interesting all at the same time. Take a chance and pick it up if
              > you don't have it.
              >
              > Thom

              I assume this is in reference to the studio double album? I highly,
              HIGHLY recommend the three-disc live recording on the 50th Birthday
              Celebration series as well... tremendous performances all around.
              Lots of bang for your buck, too, three full sets for somewhere around
              $20.

              My favorite release on the very impressive 50th birthday series so
              far.
            • otomstreet@comcast.net

                Message 7 of 7 , Apr 1, 2006
                  Hi Frankie,

                  I think what I reaally like about Zorn is the variety and quality. I've neer heard this from anyone other than maybe Zappa. There have been a number of full CD tributes to his heroes and combinations of every sort playing everything and anything next all but world class musicians. I've always enjoyed the sounds of odd instruments and Zorn uses them all over the place. I really don't think it's that the compositions are all that advanced, it's the approach and quality of the performance or should I say it's his follow through.

                  Thom