Re: [avant-progressive] Re: Cadillac Jazz/Ogun Site

    Message 1 of 27 , Jan 3, 2006
      Try Downtown Music Gallery; They MAY still have it left:
      http://www.dtmgallery.com/Main/

      342 Bowery [between E. 2nd & E. 3rd Streets],     New York, NY 10012-2408
      Phone: (212) 473-0043 - Toll Free: (800) 622-1387

      great people!!

      Steve

      > Thanks for you quick reponse on Harry's collection! Yeah, I don't
      > know what potential customers like myself will be able to do, if
      > this is permanent. I've seen the Collection go for around or over
      > $50.00. She was going to sell me the Collection for 13GBP (about 20-
      > 22 dollars); great deal that would've been!

    • Brian K
      Message 2 of 27 , Jan 3, 2006
        Hi Steve,

        They do indeed have some copies left (whew)! Thank you so much for
        that tip!

        Brian

        --- In avant-progressive@yahoogroups.com, CuneiWay@a... wrote:

        > Try Downtown Music Gallery; They MAY still have it left:
        > http://www.dtmgallery.com/Main/
        >
        > 342 Bowery [between E. 2nd & E. 3rd Streets],     New York, NY
        10012-2408
        > Phone: (212) 473-0043 - Toll Free: (800) 622-1387
        >
        > great people!!
        >
        > Steve
        >

        > > Thanks for you quick reponse on Harry's collection! Yeah, I don't
        > > know what potential customers like myself will be able to do, if
        > > this is permanent. I've seen the Collection go for around or over
        > > $50.00. She was going to sell me the Collection for 13GBP (about
        20-
        > > 22 dollars); great deal that would've been!

      • Eddie Lascu
        Message 3 of 27 , Jan 4, 2006
          The site is un and running as I type. I recently
          ordered a CD from Hazel. I got the invoice in the mail
          (before the New Year's Day), the charge on my credit
          card, but no CD so far - Let's hope it's on its way.

          Cheers,
          Eddie

          --- Brian K <brian011879@...> wrote:

          > Hi Steve,
          >
          > Thanks for you quick reponse on Harry's collection!
          > Yeah, I don't
          > know what potential customers like myself will be
          > able to do, if
          > this is permanent. I've seen the Collection go for
          > around or over
          > $50.00. She was going to sell me the Collection for
          > 13GBP (about 20-
          > 22 dollars); great deal that would've been!
          >
          > Brian
          >

          > --- In avant-progressive@yahoogroups.com,
          > CuneiWay@a... wrote:
          > >
          > > Hi Brian
          > >
          > > > Here it is: http://www.cadillacjazz.co.uk/
          > > >
          > > THAT's bad....
          > >

          > > > Also, could somebody tell me what the Harry
          > Miller Collection is
          > like?
          > > > I know it's all acoustic, but what kind of
          > jazz?: bop or free
          > and/or
          > > > avant-garde?
          > > >

          > > The Harry Miller collection is 5 lps on CD.
          > > Isipingo is free-bop with African influences.
          > >
          > > There is a solo/overdubbed bass album that's very
          > nice.
          > >
          > > There's a duo with Radu Malfatti that's more free.
          > >
          > > There's a quintet with Dutch musicians....and I
          > forget the last
          > one.
          > >
          > > All pretty good to great.
          > >
          > > Steve

          > removed]

        • Brian K
          Message 4 of 27 , Jan 4, 2006
            Hi Eddie,

            Yes, it's running fine right now. I don't know what in the heck
            happened yesterday. I was going to go ahead and chance my cc number
            even being aware of the danger of sending it on two separate e-mails
            as Mrs. Miller suggests, but I thought maybe someone hijacked the
            site or something yesterday. I hope you get your CD and soon. Please
            let us know if it all goes well.

            With all due respect to Mrs. Miller and Mr. Jacks, I must recommend
            the Downtown Music Gallery instead, for having a lot (maybe most I
            guess)of the same stuff, and most importantly, having a secure way
            to send personal information.

            Steve, a Big Thank you for recommending their site and providing the
            link! I will go ahead and order the Harry Miller Collection (only
            $40.00)tonight.

            Take Care,
            Brian

            --- In avant-progressive@yahoogroups.com, Eddie Lascu
            <mensana_88@y...> wrote:

            > The site is un and running as I type. I recently
            > ordered a CD from Hazel. I got the invoice in the mail
            > (before the New Year's Day), the charge on my credit
            > card, but no CD so far - Let's hope it's on its way.
            >
            > Cheers,
            > Eddie
            >
            > --- Brian K <brian011879@m...> wrote:
            >
            > > Hi Steve,
            > >
            > > Thanks for you quick reponse on Harry's collection!
            > > Yeah, I don't
            > > know what potential customers like myself will be
            > > able to do, if
            > > this is permanent. I've seen the Collection go for
            > > around or over
            > > $50.00. She was going to sell me the Collection for
            > > 13GBP (about 20-
            > > 22 dollars); great deal that would've been!
            > >
            > > Brian
            > >

            > > --- In avant-progressive@yahoogroups.com,
            > > CuneiWay@a... wrote:
            > > >
            > > > Hi Brian

            > > > THAT's bad....

            > > Miller Collection is
            > > like?
            > > jazz?: bop or free
            > > and/or
            > > > >

            > > > The Harry Miller collection is 5 lps on CD.
            > > > Isipingo is free-bop with African influences.
            > > >
            > > > There is a solo/overdubbed bass album that's very
            > > nice.
            > > >
            > > > There's a duo with Radu Malfatti that's more free.
            > > >
            > > > There's a quintet with Dutch musicians....and I
            > > forget the last
            > > one.
            > > >
            > > > All pretty good to great.
            > > >
            > > > Steve

            > > removed]

          • Walter Kelley
            Message 5 of 27 , Jan 4, 2006
              Nice to know that Cadillac Jazz is back but does anyone know why the Fat Squirrel (or whatever it was) appeared on that site for the day? The Miller box set is great by the way.

              Walter

              <mensana_88@y...> wrote:

              > The site is un and running as I type. I recently
              > ordered a CD from Hazel. I got the invoice in the mail
              > (before the New Year's Day), the charge on my credit
              > card, but no CD so far - Let's hope it's on its way.
              >
              > Cheers,
              > Eddie
              >
              > --- Brian K <brian011879@m...> wrote:
              >
              > > Hi Steve,
              > >
              > > Thanks for you quick reponse on Harry's collection!
              > > Yeah, I don't
              > > know what potential customers like myself will be
              > > able to do, if
              > > this is permanent. I've seen the Collection go for
              > > around or over
              > > $50.00. She was going to sell me the Collection for
              > > 13GBP (about 20-
              > > 22 dollars); great deal that would've been!
              > >
              > > Brian
              > >

              > > --- In avant-progressive@yahoogroups.com,
              > > CuneiWay@a... wrote:
              > > >
              > > > Hi Brian

              > > > THAT's bad....

              > > Miller Collection is
              > > like?
              > > jazz?: bop or free
              > > and/or
              > > > >

              > > > The Harry Miller collection is 5 lps on CD.
              > > > Isipingo is free-bop with African influences.
              > > >
              > > > There is a solo/overdubbed bass album that's very
              > > nice.
              > > >
              > > > There's a duo with Radu Malfatti that's more free.
              > > >
              > > > There's a quintet with Dutch musicians....and I
              > > forget the last
              > > one.
              > > >
              > > > All pretty good to great.
              > > >
              > > > Steve

              > > removed]

              Subscribe: avant-progressive-subscribe@...

              Pop rock music List of alternative rock bands Rock bands

            • Eddie Lascu
              Message 6 of 27 , Jan 4, 2006
                Yep, it arrived today - too bad I didn't know about
                the Downtown Music Gallery virtual store - stuff there
                is cheaper.

              • Brian K
                Message 7 of 27 , Jan 4, 2006
                  Hi Walter,

                  I'm still confused about the squirrel thing yesterday myself. I
                  ordered the Miller Collection just a few hours ago from Downtown
                  Music Gallery; can't wait to hear it! If I'd bought it from Hazel, a
                  front cover wouldn't have been able to be included in the remaining
                  sets she had.

                  The DMG still has very few copies left if anybody's interested. That
                  set is getting both harder to find, and find at a reasonable price
                  by the day it seems.

                  Brian

                  --- In avant-progressive@yahoogroups.com, "Walter Kelley"
                  <wkelley@w...> wrote:

                  > Nice to know that Cadillac Jazz is back but does anyone know why
                  the Fat Squirrel (or whatever it was) appeared on that site for the
                  day? The Miller box set is great by the way.

                  > Walter

                • Brian K
                  Message 8 of 27 , Jan 5, 2006
                    Glad to hear you got it! I guess it's pretty safe to order through
                    them then.

                    <mensana_88@y...> wrote:

                    > Yep, it arrived today - too bad I didn't know about
                    > the Downtown Music Gallery virtual store - stuff there
                    > is cheaper.
                    >
                    > --- Brian K <brian011879@m...> wrote:
                    >
                    > > Hi Eddie,
                    > >
                    > > Yes, it's running fine right now. I don't know what
                    > > in the heck
                    > > happened yesterday. I was going to go ahead and
                    > > chance my cc number
                    > > even being aware of the danger of sending it on two
                    > > separate e-mails
                    > > as Mrs. Miller suggests, but I thought maybe someone
                    > > hijacked the
                    > > site or something yesterday. I hope you get your CD
                    > > and soon. Please
                    > > let us know if it all goes well.
                    > >
                    > > With all due respect to Mrs. Miller and Mr. Jacks, I
                    > > must recommend
                    > > the Downtown Music Gallery instead, for having a lot
                    > > (maybe most I
                    > > guess)of the same stuff, and most importantly,
                    > > having a secure way
                    > > to send personal information.
                    > >
                    > > Steve, a Big Thank you for recommending their site
                    > > and providing the
                    > > link! I will go ahead and order the Harry Miller
                    > > Collection (only
                    > > $40.00)tonight.
                    > >
                    > > Take Care,
                    > > Brian
                    > >

                    > > --- In avant-progressive@yahoogroups.com, Eddie
                    > > Lascu
                    > > <mensana_88@y...> wrote:
                    > > >
                    > > > The site is un and running as I type. I recently
                    > > > ordered a CD from Hazel. I got the invoice in the
                    > > mail
                    > > > (before the New Year's Day), the charge on my
                    > > credit
                    > > > card, but no CD so far - Let's hope it's on its
                    > > way.
                    > > >
                    > > > Cheers,
                    > > > Eddie

                    > > collection!
                    > > be
                    > > for
                    > > for

                    > > very

                    > > free.

                  • Eddie Lascu
                    Message 9 of 27 , Jan 5, 2006
                      Yes Brian, but like I said, turns out to be more
                      expensive than the Downtown Music Gallery e-shop. I
                      didn't compare the lists of available titles, but if a
                      title is in both places, ask for the price before you
                      order.

                    • Brian K
                      Message 10 of 27 , Jan 6, 2006
                        Hi Eddie,

                        I agree with you on the cost differences between the two, but in
                        my case, I've got an update:

                        I called the toll free number at DMG and asked if my order went
                        through; they never even got the secured e-mail with the order for
                        Harry's Collection set (which is by no means easy to get anyway
                        now). It turns out that they're all out of copies, which, like the
                        nice man (very honest, too)who talked to me said that they get
                        their's from Hazel Miller anyway. So, today I e-mailed her asking if
                        they had any copies left, and no response yet. She priced that
                        particular item at 13GBP, which is I guess about 22-25 dollars
                        (pretty good price, but without the front cover, which I guess is
                        the catch-- darnit, but beggars can't be choosers I guess). If she
                        responds, and the news is good, I'll go ahead and buy it.

                        By the way, there's a blog by a guy in Scotland, I believe,
                        called "The Naked Maja". He knows virtually EVERYTHING about Ogun,
                        most of the artists, recordings, LP releases, and CD reissues, etc.
                        Just type in 'The Naked Maja' or 'All About Ogun' in the search.

                        <mensana_88@y...> wrote:

                        > Yes Brian, but like I said, turns out to be more
                        > expensive than the Downtown Music Gallery e-shop. I
                        > didn't compare the lists of available titles, but if a
                        > title is in both places, ask for the price before you
                        > order.
                        >

                        > --- Brian K <brian011879@m...> wrote:
                        >
                        > > Glad to hear you got it! I guess it's pretty safe to
                        > > order through
                        > > them then.
                        > >
                        > > Take Care,
                        > > Brian
                        > >

                        > > --- In avant-progressive@yahoogroups.com, Eddie
                        > > Lascu
                        > > <mensana_88@y...> wrote:
                        > > >
                        > > > Yep, it arrived today - too bad I didn't know
                        > > about
                        > > > the Downtown Music Gallery virtual store - stuff
                        > > there
                        > > > is cheaper.

                        > > what
                        > > two
                        > > someone
                        > > CD

                        > > Jacks, I
                        > > lot

                        > > site

                        > > recently
                        > > the
                        > > its

                        > > will
                        > > go
                        > > Collection

                        > > http://www.cadillacjazz.co.uk/

                        > > Harry
                        > > of

                        > > CD.
                        > > influences.

                        > > that's

                        > > more

                        > > musicians....and

                        > > been

                      • Eddie Lascu
                        Message 11 of 27 , Jan 9, 2006
                          Brian,

                          Thanks for pointing that out - I, too, placed an order
                          on their _secure_ web site and didn't get any
                          confimation emails. I better call them and see what's
                          going on.

                          Thanks again. Take care,
                          Eddie

                          === message truncated ===
                        • Brian K
                          Message 12 of 27 , Jan 9, 2006
                            You're welcome!

                            <mensana_88@y...> wrote:

> [...]
                            > > responds, and the news is good, I'll go ahead and
                            > > buy it.
                            > >
                            > > By the way, there's a blog by a guy in Scotland, I
                            > > believe,
                            > > called "The Naked Maja". He knows virtually
                            > > EVERYTHING about Ogun,
                            > > most of the artists, recordings, LP releases, and CD
                            > > reissues, etc.
                            > > Just type in 'The Naked Maja' or 'All About Ogun' in
                            > > the search.
                            > >
                            > > Take Care,
                            > > Brian
                            > >

                            > > --- In avant-progressive@yahoogroups.com, Eddie
                            > > Lascu
                            > > <mensana_88@y...> wrote:
                            > > >

                            > > > Yes Brian, but like I said, turns out to be more
                            > > > expensive than the Downtown Music Gallery e-shop.
                            > > > didn't compare the lists of available titles, but
                            > > if a
                            > > > title is in both places, ask for the price before

                          • Brian K
                            Message 13 of 27 , Jan 10, 2006
                              Hi Eddie,

                              I just saw my bank transactions statement online minutes ago. DMG
                              did charge me for the Miller collection: $46.00 even (inc.
                              shipping). It was an authorized transaction, but on top of no
                              confirmation e-mail, nor was a receipt of any kind sent (printable).
                              I wonder if the man on the phone understood correctly, or could have
                              had any knowledge of my order. I hope these guys are honest. If so,
                              I apologize for doubting them. Very confusing situation here.

                              By the way, Hazel Miller did get in touch with me, a few hours back.
                              She mentioned she took Mondays off and apologized for the delay.
                              Ordered Soft Head "Rogue Element" (whew!-worried I was never going
                              to get to hear it.

                              <mensana_88@y...> wrote:

> [...]
                              > > responds, and the news is good, I'll go ahead and
                              > > buy it.
                              > >
                              > > By the way, there's a blog by a guy in Scotland, I
                              > > believe,
                              > > called "The Naked Maja". He knows virtually
                              > > EVERYTHING about Ogun,
                              > > most of the artists, recordings, LP releases, and CD
                              > > reissues, etc.
                              > > Just type in 'The Naked Maja' or 'All About Ogun' in
                              > > the search.
                              > >
                              > > Take Care,
                              > > Brian
                              > >

                              > > --- In avant-progressive@yahoogroups.com, Eddie
                              > > Lascu
                              > > <mensana_88@y...> wrote:
                              > > >

                              > > > Yes Brian, but like I said, turns out to be more
                              > > > expensive than the Downtown Music Gallery e-shop.
                              > > > didn't compare the lists of available titles, but
                              > > if a
                              > > > title is in both places, ask for the price before

                            • Michael Anton Parker
                              Message 14 of 27 , Jan 10, 2006
                                Hi Brian, the DMG guys are friends of mine and they're as honest and
                                straightforward as you can get! You'll never find any funny business
                                with them. Just give them a call and I'm sure any confusion will be
                                cleared up right away! I think they usually open the shop around noon
                                (EST).

                                Mike

                                np: The Kinks _Something Else_

                              • Walter Kelley
                                Message 15 of 27 , Jan 10, 2006
                                  DMG is very honest from my experience. They do seem to be somewhat primitive from the standpoint of automation in payment and item selections. I prefer to call them with the infomation than to fax it. That often has the benfit of them telling you something is not in stock at the moment you are placing the order. Not always, though. And if they're busy you have to call back.

                                  Walter

                                  I just saw my bank transactions statement online minutes ago. DMG
                                  did charge me for the Miller collection: $46.00 even (inc.
                                  shipping).*****I hope these guys are honest. If so,
                                  I apologize for doubting them. Very confusing situation here.****

                                • earl rapp
                                  Message 16 of 27 , Jan 10, 2006
                                    Hi :

                                    Brian stated referring to DMG :

                                    > I hope these guys are honest.

                                    they are man ! I've purchased way over 100 CD's
                                    from them, and I've had NO problems, and they are
                                    very fast @ delivering.

                                    Earl
                                    Message 17 of 27 , Jan 10, 2006
                                      Brian

                                      I will give Downtown Music Gallery the highest praise I can think of: They
                                      are *competitors* after all, but they are GREAT, honest people who really love
                                      the music that they sell and will not charge your card without sending the
                                      goods.

                                      Don't worry

                                    • Michael Anton Parker
                                      Message 18 of 27 , Jan 10, 2006
                                        oh yeah, by the way, they are very LOW-TECH! they do all that stuff by
                                        hand, like a mom & pop shop... (Manny is the mom and Bruce is the pop...
                                        hahahaha...)

                                      • Walter Kelley
                                        Message 19 of 27 , Jan 10, 2006
                                          Hi Brian:

                                          Can you not just dispute a particular charge on your card statement without collapsing the whole account? I'd talk to customer service and see what they say. Sometimes (all the time?) the "tems and conditions" sections of policies are confusing, misleading and/or incomplete. I would also call back DMG and tell them that they have charged your card and give them the relevant merchant ID information that identifies that charge on your card as a charge from DMG, the date, the amount, and anything else that can pinpoint the particular transaction. They should be able to confirm or deny whether they have charged your card even with a low-tech system. Please let us know how this plays out.

                                          Walter
                                          Message 20 of 27 , Jan 10, 2006
                                            I was going to leave the card company alone right now, but I'll call
                                            DMG in a little while and see if they received the order again. I
                                            will keep you posted on everything.

                                            Oh my gosh, this is so confusing.

                                          • otomstreet@comcast.net
                                            Message 21 of 27 , May 16, 2006
                                              I just ordered some John Zorn from DTMG and with this being my first time ordering from them I was wondering how long I can expect to wait before hearing from them or receiving my CDs.

                                              Thom
                                            • Claire Dinsmore
                                              Message 22 of 27 , May 16, 2006
                                                i got my last order [to PA] in 3 days [including order date]. [they sent priority]

                                                np: wha-ha-ha: getahaitekonakucha

                                                --
                                                "What am I, if not a collector of vanished gazes?"
                                                - Theo Angelopoulos, Ulysses' Gaze

                                              • Terwilliger, Sean
                                                Message 23 of 27 , May 16, 2006
                                                  I usually get my order before I hear from them that they shipped it.

                                                  Sean

                                                  I just ordered some John Zorn from DTMG and with this being my first
                                                  time ordering from them I was wondering how long I can expect to wait
                                                  before hearing from them or receiving my CDs.

                                                  Thom

                                                  Protect your PC from spy ware with award winning anti spy technology.
                                                  It's free.
                                                  http://us.click.yahoo.com/97bhrC/LGxNAA/yQLSAA/nnJolB/TM

                                                  Yahoo! Groups Links
                                                • otomstreet@comcast.net
                                                  Message 24 of 27 , May 17, 2006
                                                    I want to thank everyone who responded, this was the first time I had orderreed from DTMG and I felt weird doing it by email, probably the biggest reason I haven't ordered from them in the past, now I'm back to being excited.

                                                    Thom