Re: Richard Leo Johnson

    Message 1 of 4 , Dec 9, 2005
      > Anyway, who can answer this? I used to deal
      > directly with a Richard  Johnson and sold a couple of his cassette only
      > releases
      > of which one, called Glidepath, I'm still sitting on copies. Is this the
      > same
      > guy as Richard Leo Johnson?
      > If so, have any of the tracks on this cassette made it onto CD?
      > He's a stunning guitarist, and highly underrated.

      Same guy.
      When he signed with Blue Note, he became Richard Leo Johnson (I guess there
      was another Richard Johnson somewhere in the world...big surprise).

      He has at least two cassette-only releases: Glidepath and The Sleeping Porch.
      Both nice, both never on CD, although some of the pieces ended up on some of
      his other albums.

      In my opinion, his best work that is currently out of print is "Creatures of
      Habit", which was his 1st CD release but dissapeared when he signed with Blue
      Note.

      Message 2 of 4 , Dec 9, 2005
        To clarify

        > Both nice, both never on CD, although some of the pieces ended up on some
        > of
        > his other albums.

        DIFFERENT versions of some of the pieces ended up on some of his later
        albums.

      • Agcdser@aol.com
        Message 3 of 4 , Dec 12, 2005
          Thanks for the info Steve (C'form) and everyone.
          So, I've got four copies of this cassette he did called "Glidepath" in 1990 -
          12 tracks - and they're 50 pence (about $1) each if anyone wants them, but
          postage is extra.
          E mail me at agcdser@... if anyone's interested. He's a stunning acoustic
          guitarist, but does anyone really want cassettes any more?
          I must get hold of the ones on C'form - as I hope some of you will too!!
          Andy Garibaldi

        • Michael Anton Parker
          Message 4 of 4 , Jan 3, 2006
            [Steve] In my opinion, his best work that is currently out of print
            is "Creatures of
            Habit", which was his 1st CD release but dissapeared when he signed with Blue
            Note.

            [MAP] _Creatures of Habit_ is by far the best RLJ album I've heard, a
            real high-energy stunner with intricate guitar and percussion parts.
            Unfortunately the last one, _Poetry of Appliance_, is totally watered
            down new age music only suited for background music (but it's very
            "good" background new age music). I hope he got his fire started
            again for the new one coming out in a few weeks...

            Mike

            np: Ludus _Pickpocket_