Re: [avant-progressive] World's Worst Misfile?

  • Raoul Rabut
    Message 1 of 14 , Nov 30, 2000
      on 1/12/00 3:27, rcarlberg@... at rcarlberg@... wrote:

      > Half Price Books, Univers Zero, "Ceux Du Dehors", filed under "New Age."

      There's also Van der Graaf Generator in "dutch folk".

      Raoul.
    • Michael Bohn
      Message 2 of 14 , Dec 1, 2000
        Could also be filed under Jazz - you know, like Louis Armstrong... :-)

        StoOdin101@... wrote:

        > In a message dated 11/30/00 9:28:47 PM Eastern Standard Time,
        > rcarlberg@... writes:
        >
        > << Half Price Books, Univers Zero, "Ceux Du Dehors", filed under "New Age." >>
        >
        > about 30 years ago I found Morton Subotnick's TOUCH, SILVER APPLES and
        > SIDEWINDER all filed under "Sound Effects" at the local mom-&-pop record shop
        > (long since defunct). I've seen plenty of Cuneiform discs referred to as "new
        > age" (not in cd shops, but online): they're instrumental, and they're
        > different , so they must be new age, right? Can't wait till some fan of
        > Yanni or Suzanne Ciani gets an earful of Kombinat M.
        >
        > "Brainwashing media is all we need to set the boundaries"
        > --- Shadow Gallery; NEW WORLD ORDER
        >

        > Community email addresses:
        > Post message: avant-progressive@onelist.com
        > Subscribe: avant-progressive-subscribe@onelist.com
        >
        > Shortcut URL to this page:
        > http://www.onelist.com/community/avant-progressive
      • Johan Lif
        Message 3 of 14 , Dec 1, 2000
          Robert Carlberg wrote:

          >Half Price Books, Univers Zero, "Ceux Du Dehors", filed under "New Age."

          The All-Music Guide categorises Lars Hollmers as "club/dance".

          Johan
        • Renato de Moraes
          Message 4 of 14 , Dec 1, 2000
            Hi all,

            StoOdin101@... wrote:

            > Can't wait till some fan of
            > Yanni or Suzanne Ciani gets an earful of Kombinat M.

            Doctor Nerve's Skin would be better.

            Well, I think that UZ could be file under ambient music. Just think the
            ambient as HELL and this will be fine.

            Renato
          • Gamantyo Hendrantoro
            Message 5 of 14 , Dec 1, 2000
              Raoul Rabut wrote:

              > There's also Van der Graaf Generator in "dutch folk".

              "Dutch electronic" or "dutch experimental" might be more appropriate. :)

              Gamantyo
            • mark kramer
              Message 6 of 14 , Dec 1, 2000
                Michael C. Feathers wrote:

                > I don't see what's so strange about it.William Ackermann's the guy
                in the wheelchair on the front of 'Heresie', right?

                haha! ..and perhaps a stairwell just out of frame in the forefront?
              • P.D.J. de Boer
                Message 7 of 14 , Dec 4, 2000
                  HA !!

                  Last year, I saw Art Zoyd's Marathonnerre I filed under "French Chansons"
                  !!!

                  And even better:
                  Last weekend I found Partick Gautier's Bebe Godzilla in the children's
                  section of a second hand cd-store. It's allmost to good to be true !!

                  Peter
                • Johan Lif
                  Message 8 of 14 , Dec 4, 2000
                    P.D.J. de Boer wrote:

                    >Last weekend I found Partick Gautier's Bebe Godzilla in the children's
                    >section of a second hand cd-store. It's allmost to good to be true !!

                    I found a Derek Bailey CD filed under "country" once.

                    Johan
                  • Nick Lejejs
                    Message 9 of 14 , Dec 4, 2000
                      I picked up the Feigenbaum and Scott LP (Random Radar) at Amoeba in
                      Berkeley. It was filed in the Tom Scott section in jazz (as in Tom Scott and
                      the LA Express...icky!) . It was also 1 dollar (score!). Found a whole load
                      of Krautrock stuff, including 2 faust LPs and Neu's 1st 2 LP's in a bargain
                      bin at a thrift store for a DIME a piece. Yeah...ten cents. I looked at the
                      clerk of the store and asked..."are these 10 cents each?" She nodded.
                      Attempting to control myself, I handed her a 5 and told her to keep the
                      change.

                      And...don't ask my why I was looking in the Tom Scott & the LA Express
                      section :)

                      Nick

                      >Last weekend I found Partick Gautier's Bebe Godzilla in the children's
                      >section of a second hand cd-store. It's allmost to good to be true !!

                      I found a Derek Bailey CD filed under "country" once.

                      Johan

                      eGroups Sponsor

                      <http://rd.yahoo.com/M=102308.1038796.2731130.908943/D=egroupmail/S=17000239
                      67:N/A=466330/?http://www.yahoo.com> Click Here!

                      Message 10 of 14 , Dec 4, 2000
                        congratulations to me for choosing the only residents recs that no
                        one else likes! ..where's my cookie?

                        Nick Lejejs <nickl@v...> wrote:
                        > ..at Amoeba in Berkeley.

                        my home away from home!

                        mk
                      • alebonn@aol.com
                        Message 11 of 14 , Dec 5, 2000
                          Dans un courrier daté du 05/12/00 00:38:56 Paris, Madrid, nickl@... a
                          écrit :

                          << I picked up the Feigenbaum and Scott LP (Random Radar) at Amoeba in
                          Berkeley. It was filed in the Tom Scott section in jazz (as in Tom Scott and
                          the LA Express...icky!) . It was also 1 dollar (score!). >>

                          AMOEBA ( I'm writing about their HAIGHT ASHBURY branch ) seems to be an
                          excellent place for vinyl hunters. I was there in October last year and as
                          it's so big ( an old bowling I've been told ) I didn't know where to look
                          first.
                          Close to the entrance was a section called "new arrivals". I started there
                          and the 3rd LP of the rack was the 1st THINKING PLAGUE ( the insect cover ),
                          an UNPLAYED copy, with a promo insert handwritten by someone from the band
                          saying ( just a summary as there are over 15 lines ) : " here is a sample of
                          T.P..........we hope to be available from a major indie
                          distributor.........hope to hear from you whoever you may be."
                          Signed "PLAGUE".
                          Price was $ 4,95 !

                          Just wanted to point 2 things :
                          - Those of you living in the SF area are lucky to have such places where
                          browsing
                          - Most important, I'm pretty sure the LP was NEVER played by anyone : a
                          symbol of the hard work done on promotion by the band at the time.... sending
                          copies to people who didn't even listen ......

                          A bit out of topic, as it was NOT a misfile ; AMOEBA just reminded me that.

                          Alain