Re: [avant-progressive] re: Soft Machine biography

  • Michael Feathers
    Message 1 of 12 , Jul 31, 2005
      CuneiWay@... wrote:

      > >I just read on wikipedia that there is going to a Soft Machine biography
      > >published this September by Graham Bennett. Does anyone know anything
      > >more about this? Amazon doesn't seem to.
      >
      > Don't know who is publishing it, and I don't know when.
      >
      > I have read an early draft of it which I was given to proof
      > (non-expert that
      > I am, I caught one error that specifically had to do with Cuneiform's
      > CDs by
      > the Softs).
      >
      > I enjoyed it and it is absolutely well worth reading if you're a fan. I
      > hadn't realised how much of a financial struggle the band had had for
      > basically
      > their entire existence....

      Steve, does it seem like it gives good coverage of their classic line up
      period? The cover looks like it it might be David Allen and Kevin
      Ayers. Others might know far better than I:
      http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/0946719845/qid=1122857582

      Michael (pre-ordered the book on amazon.co.uk because I am a fanatic)
      Message 2 of 12 , Aug 1, 2005
        Michael

        > Steve, does it seem like it gives good coverage of their classic line up
        > period?  The cover looks like it it might be David Allen and Kevin
        > Ayers.

        It covers everything. That was was the most interesting thing about it.
        Treats it all as a continuous thing as it chugs down the timeline.

        Yes, it's Daevid and Kevin.

      • Michael Feathers
        Message 3 of 12 , Aug 1, 2005
          CuneiWay@... wrote:

          > Michael
          >
          > > Steve, does it seem like it gives good coverage of their classic line up
          > > period? The cover looks like it it might be David Allen and Kevin
          > > Ayers.
          > >

          > It covers everything. That was was the most interesting thing about it.
          > Treats it all as a continuous thing as it chugs down the timeline.
          >
          > Yes, it's Daevid and Kevin.

          Very cool to hear. Thanks for the info.

          Michael
        • Michael Feathers
          Message 4 of 12 , Aug 1, 2005
            I just got this one. I can't believe I put it off for so long. Very
            good!!!
          • Michael Anton Parker
            Message 5 of 12 , Aug 1, 2005
              [MichaelF] I just got this one. I can't believe I put it off for so
              long. Very
              good!!!

              [MikeP] It's very good for me too, but doesn't go that next step for
              me. I bought it the minute it was released and played it a few times,
              but I was disappointed by the very straightahead generic rock rhythms,
              lacking any of the rhythmic intrigue of the best work by Didkovsky or
              Hopper. It hasn't appeared in my stereo since, making it a purchase I
              had mixed feelings about. As much as I admire both of them, I'd say
              they're somewhat inconsistent. On the other hand, it's rich with
              clever sonic details and it shreds and/or rocks, which is enough to
              make it very good. To some extent I'd argue they fell into the trap
              of studio cleverness at the expense of basic songwriting.

              Mike Parker
              SE Pennsylvania

              np: Ian Carr _We'll Talk About it Later_

              Die ganzen Zahlen hat der liebe Gott gemacht, alles andere ist
              Menschenwerk. (Leopold Kronecker)