Re: [avant-progressive] Picchio dal Pozzo - Picchio dal Pozzo (Japanese Mini LP Sleeve version)

  • Cesar Montesano
    Message 1 of 26 , May 3, 2005
      Not to mention that it is an amazing slice of progressive rock, here is a
      review I wrote many years ago that lives on the Gnosis site:

      Cesar Montesano 24-Feb-2001 Picchio Dal Pozzo

      Picchio dal Pozzo carries on in a tradition paying (rocking) homage to
      Zappa and the Canterbury scene with an extremely soporific quality that
      almost makes it seem as if it comes to you from underwater in slow motion.
      It's a super-swank moving album replete with blurbs and tidbits that bubble
      to the surface calmly and then release into an ether above the brow, a heady
      adventure.
      The second cut takes off in a dense, drudgey orifice we know to have
      been opened up for public consumption from Gong dirges like "Master Builder"
      and its ilk, complemented by breathy vocal excursions and what seems to be a
      child's xylophone tinkling about. Go and listen to that track and tell me
      that the spirt of Tim Blake does not shine through right before it drops
      into a breakdown of a Henry Cow dreamscape to the nth degree which deposits
      you into the crystal recitation from a child and then to an apogee of
      National Health-spiced gentle streams of vocal sounds lilting about. The
      transmigration to the field populated by the yellow birds on the cover is
      complete and the warbling bleeps chortle for a spell here and there. The
      utter camp and level of integration of disparate elements is spooky and
      there are many layers to be uncovered here. As I listen, it conjures a spell
      of past memory recall as sections seem to become everpresent as if they had
      been ruminating in the subconscious mind with conviction. One is forcefully
      ejected from their own reality and unsheathed within the bubble they exist
      in. Do not be mistaken, the experience is not to be missed.

      Soft machinations of a fluid nature begin the capitulation in the
      middle, howling with dreamy massed vocals beckoning your wispy
      attentiveness. Robert Wyatt-style gentleness comes in to further capitulate
      the daze. Open up a general field and lie in it. The passing shapelessness
      of the clouds may take you on over this way. Before I can get enough and
      decide to park, it's over and I hardly blinked. Did it really happen!?
    • Michael Anton Parker
      Message 2 of 26 , May 3, 2005
        yeah, but Cesar, all your boggling literary gifts and musical
        connoisseurship are fine and dandy, but all I really want to know is,
        have you purchased the _mini LP_ version of the disc, and if so, on
        which date did it arrive? I don't read this group for _insight and
        content_! :-)

        On 5/3/05, Cesar Montesano <progczar@...> wrote:
        > Not to mention that it is an amazing slice of progressive rock, here is a
        > review I wrote many years ago that lives on the Gnosis site:
        >
        > Cesar Montesano 24-Feb-2001 Picchio Dal Pozzo
        >
        > Picchio dal Pozzo carries on in a tradition paying (rocking) homage to
        > Zappa and the Canterbury scene with an extremely soporific quality that
        > almost makes it seem as if it comes to you from underwater in slow motion.
        > It's a super-swank moving album replete with blurbs and tidbits that bubble
        > to the surface calmly and then release into an ether above the brow, a heady
        > adventure.
        > The second cut takes off in a dense, drudgey orifice we know to have
        > been opened up for public consumption from Gong dirges like "Master Builder"
        > and its ilk, complemented by breathy vocal excursions and what seems to be a
        > child's xylophone tinkling about. Go and listen to that track and tell me
        > that the spirt of Tim Blake does not shine through right before it drops
        > into a breakdown of a Henry Cow dreamscape to the nth degree which deposits
        > you into the crystal recitation from a child and then to an apogee of
        > National Health-spiced gentle streams of vocal sounds lilting about. The
        > transmigration to the field populated by the yellow birds on the cover is
        > complete and the warbling bleeps chortle for a spell here and there. The
        > utter camp and level of integration of disparate elements is spooky and
        > there are many layers to be uncovered here. As I listen, it conjures a spell
        > of past memory recall as sections seem to become everpresent as if they had
        > been ruminating in the subconscious mind with conviction. One is forcefully
        > ejected from their own reality and unsheathed within the bubble they exist
        > in. Do not be mistaken, the experience is not to be missed.
        >
        > Soft machinations of a fluid nature begin the capitulation in the
        > middle, howling with dreamy massed vocals beckoning your wispy
        > attentiveness. Robert Wyatt-style gentleness comes in to further capitulate
        > the daze. Open up a general field and lie in it. The passing shapelessness
        > of the clouds may take you on over this way. Before I can get enough and
        > decide to park, it's over and I hardly blinked. Did it really happen!?
        >

        > Community email addresses:
        > Post message: avant-progressive@...
        > Subscribe:
        > avant-progressive-subscribe@...
        > Unsubscribe:
        >
        > Shortcut URL to this page:

      • Cesar Montesano
        Message 3 of 26 , May 3, 2005
          You know me, I have in on the maxi-size. LP!

          Cesar

        • otomstreet@comcast.net
          Message 4 of 26 , May 4, 2005
            Michael sorry you seem to have issues with my announcing that I found this fine gem of a recording in the Japanese Mini LP Sleeve format. I've had the regular CD format for a couple of years now and enjoyed it so much that I decided to pick up the superior Japanese mastering. Hell I'll confess to it, I love the little LP sleeves because they bring back all those memories as an awkward teenager sitting in my room reading album covers over and over while listening to the latest purchase. I love the feel of that cardboard in my hands while the music is playing. That the product is usually of better quality helps. How many of us in the early days actually decided to check out one new unheard group over another because it had a cooler album cover?

            Cesar I should thank you as I remember reading your review before buying the regular version of this masterpiece and it help me to decide on it and eventually bringing be to seriously checking out Italian Prog. Of course you had alot of help there, my arm is still sore from the twisting. Now sitting here with nearly 50 Italian Prog classics I'm glad it happened.

            Thom

          • Pierre Tassone
            Message 5 of 26 , May 4, 2005
              Yes Thom,

              You're not the only one, there are plenty sharing the same feelings
              described below. I'm one of them!

              Pierre

              Message 6 of 26 , May 4, 2005
                Pierre

                Do you know of any very good Europeon semi acoustic ensembles like Julsverne, L'Ensemble Raye and Penguin Cafe? I remember you saying something awhile back about a continuation of Louise Avenue that I forgot to follow up on at the time.

                Thom

                > Yes Thom,
                >
                > You're not the only one, there are plenty sharing the same feelings
                > described below. I'm one of them!
                >
                > Pierre

              • Pierre Tassone
                Message 7 of 26 , May 4, 2005
                  I guess it could have been the record of Jan Kuijken - Vertigo - released on
                  Carbon 7 some 10 years after "Let's Take One More" by Louise Avenue. Kuijken
                  is the main man behind this group and in Vertigo, a very filmic record, you
                  will also note the presence of UZ's Dirk Descheemaeker.

                  If this wasn't this one, here's a choice of other possibilities:

                  + Julverne: Le Pavillon des Passions Humaines, which many don't know the
                  existence of. Their latest release dated 99.
                  + Cro Magnon & BUB: Brosella Suite. 3rd record by the Belgian group and a
                  rich mix of musical inspirations.
                  + Finnegans Wake: 4th. Released on Carbon 7. 2CD with many guests and an
                  attempt to mix this time Brazilian rhythms with the classical chamber rock
                  music feel. Probably their best effort and with an increased noticeable
                  maturity in the composing.
                  + Eric Mertens: 2 records released on Carbon 7, Spleen and "White Worker".
                  both are really good and recommended. Broad assortment of chamber
                  instruments. And the usually borrowed UZ's faithful members (Dirk, Berkmans)
                  + Slede Ziwe Slede: Milacek Vytvari Krajinu. Czech band also delving in that
                  chamber feel with strings and bassoon and more. Indies Records. 2 records
                  released.
                  + Tara Fuki: also from the Czech Republic. 2 women playing cello and
                  singing. Slightly different as normal chamber rock but related anyway, maybe
                  a little bit more folky. Reduced instrumentation.
                  + Olive Mess: Gramercy. On Alain's label Soleil Zeuhl. Classical, operatic
                  voice, folk, biting rock and a touch of medieval.
                  + Esperanto. 3 records and going way back into the past. Maybe the
                  forerunners of this genre?
                  + Volapük: Where Is Tamashii? Previously discussed here and imho to be
                  highly recommended.
                  + Gatto Marte. We just spoke about them lately.

                  Most of them in stock at Music By Mail. Contact offlist if needed.

                  Pierre

                  Do you know of any very good Europeon semi acoustic ensembles like
                  Julsverne, L'Ensemble Raye and Penguin Cafe? I remember you saying something
                  awhile back about a continuation of Louise Avenue that I forgot to follow up
                  on at the time.

                  Thom

                  > Yes Thom,
                  >
                  > You're not the only one, there are plenty sharing the same feelings
                  > described below. I'm one of them!
                  >
                  > Pierre

                  Subscribe: avant-progressive-subscribe@...

                  Yahoo! Groups Links
                • Bob Netherton
                  Message 8 of 26 , May 4, 2005
                    On Wed, 2005-05-04 at 11:37 +0000, otomstreet@... wrote:
                    > about a continuation of Louise Avenue that I forgot to follow up on at the time.

                    Speaking of Louise Ave - where can you find their CDs these days ?

                    Bob
                  • lasciviakuci
                    Message 9 of 26 , May 4, 2005
                      --- In avant-progressive@yahoogroups.com, otomstreet@c... wrote:

                      > I've had the regular CD format for a couple of years now and enjoyed
                      > it so much that I decided to pick up the superior Japanese mastering.

                      Is the difference in mastering really noticable? I think the Vinyl
                      Magic CD sounds pretty good.

                      I love those mini-LP versions too and I'm not even old enough for LPs
                      to be the current format when I was a teenager. I have to say,
                      though, the artwork on PdP's debut never really appealed to me that
                      strongly, though I adore the album. Two I bought just for the art a
                      little while ago were the first two Faust albums. They're very well
                      done but it's too bad they didn't pull the transparent CD trick on
                      "Faust" like BMG did on their digipak Banco reissues; that would have
                      been nice.

                      Darren
                    • Cesar Montesano
                      Message 10 of 26 , May 4, 2005
                        Combo FH "Veci (Things)" 1980 Czechoslovakia

                        Cesar

                      • otomstreet@comcast.net
                        Message 11 of 26 , May 4, 2005
                          Thanks Pierre,

                          I'll be getting back to you on some of these once I see what damage ebay has done to the old bank account and i get a chance to check out some of these groups via the internet.

                          Thom

                        • otomstreet@comcast.net
                          Message 12 of 26 , May 4, 2005
                            Hi Darren,

                            To my ears there is a warmer, richer sound with more depth to it but then again that could also be my subconcious speaking to justify the amount I spent on it. I could also mention there is another one on sale for $36 or so by CD Boomers Inc. Does anyone have the second CD? Is it worth spending OOP prices for it, I've already lost one bid on it recently.

                            Thom

                            > > I've had the regular CD format for a couple of years now and enjoyed
                            > > it so much that I decided to pick up the superior Japanese mastering.
                            >
                            > Is the difference in mastering really noticable? I think the Vinyl
                            > Magic CD sounds pretty good.
                            >
                            > I love those mini-LP versions too and I'm not even old enough for LPs
                            > to be the current format when I was a teenager. I have to say,
                            > though, the artwork on PdP's debut never really appealed to me that
                            > strongly, though I adore the album. Two I bought just for the art a
                            > little while ago were the first two Faust albums. They're very well
                            > done but it's too bad they didn't pull the transparent CD trick on
                            > "Faust" like BMG did on their digipak Banco reissues; that would have
                            > been nice.
                            >
                            > Darren

                            > --- In avant-progressive@yahoogroups.com, otomstreet@c... wrote:
                            > >
                            > > I've had the regular CD format for a couple of years now and enjoyed
                            > > it so much that I decided to pick up the superior Japanese mastering.
                            >
                            > Is the difference in mastering really noticable? I think the Vinyl
                            > Magic CD sounds pretty good.
                            >
                            > I love those mini-LP versions too and I'm not even old enough for LPs
                            > to be the current format when I was a teenager. I have to say,
                            > though, the artwork on PdP's debut never really appealed to me that
                            > strongly, though I adore the album. Two I bought just for the art a
                            > little while ago were the first two Faust albums. They're very well
                            > done but it's too bad they didn't pull the transparent CD trick on
                            > "Faust" like BMG did on their digipak Banco reissues; that would have
                            > been nice.
                            >
                            > Darren

                          • Pierre Tassone
                            Message 13 of 26 , May 4, 2005
                              They did this on the recently released Japane mini LP edition (Polydor
                              UICY-9259)! But they did it akwardly imho.

                              Pierre

                              Message 14 of 26 , May 4, 2005
                                Do you mean in the *USA* ? Eitherway read back the posts ....

                                Pierre

                                > about a continuation of Louise Avenue that I forgot to follow up on at the
                                time.

                                Speaking of Louise Ave - where can you find their CDs these days ?

                                Bob

                                Subscribe: avant-progressive-subscribe@...

                                Yahoo! Groups Links
                              • Renato Moraes
                                Message 15 of 26 , May 4, 2005
                                  Thom,
                                  Are you talking about Abbiamo Tutti I Suoi Problemi?

                                  It is in RIO vein. Excellent in my opinion. Much more complex than PdP 1st. I love this record.

                                  Renato

                                  Message 16 of 26 , May 4, 2005
                                    No Sir, with all respect due, no way! This LP is excellent but is far from
                                    being a semi acoustic outfit. Wurlitzer, prepared piano, clavinet, ARP Omni,
                                    Farfisa syntorchestra, the seldom heard Paia synthesizer, el guitar, el
                                    bass, etc... + tons of percussion. Combo FH started at the Prague Jazz Days
                                    in 76 and are closer to jazz-rock than chamber rock, even if Stravinski had
                                    some influence on their music as well as Moravian folk songs had. They were
                                    participating in 78 to the first Czech audio visual combining music with
                                    laser beams. Modern jazz and electronic rock were their force, combined to
                                    folk and nursery rhyme tunes. You can hear this very strongly in the record,
                                    the classical touch is far far beyond.

                                    Pierre

                                      Message 18 of 26 , May 4, 2005
                                        --- In avant-progressive@yahoogroups.com, "Pierre Tassone" wrote:

                                        > > but it's too bad they didn't pull the transparent CD trick on
                                        > > "Faust" like BMG did on their digipak Banco reissues; that would
                                        > > have been nice.
                                        >
                                        > They did this on the recently released Japane mini LP edition
                                        > (Polydor UICY-9259)! But they did it akwardly imho.

                                        That's the one I have. The CD is not transparent, at least on my
                                        copy, but the packaging is.

                                        Darren
                                      • Cesar Montesano
                                        Message 19 of 26 , May 4, 2005
                                          He's right, my fingers slipped. . .

                                          Cesar

                                          On May 4, 2005, at 11:11 AM, Pierre Tassone wrote:

                                          > No Sir, with all respect due, no way! This LP is excellent but is far
                                          > from
                                          > being a semi acoustic outfit. Wurlitzer, prepared piano, clavinet, ARP
                                          > Omni,
                                          > Farfisa syntorchestra, the seldom heard Paia synthesizer, el guitar, el
                                          > bass, etc... + tons of percussion. Combo FH started at the Prague Jazz
                                          > Days
                                          > in 76 and are closer to jazz-rock than chamber rock, even if
                                          > Stravinski had
                                          > some influence on their music as well as Moravian folk songs had. They
                                          > were
                                          > participating in 78 to the first Czech audio visual combining music
                                          > with
                                          > laser beams. Modern jazz and electronic rock were their force,
                                          > combined to
                                          > folk and nursery rhyme tunes. You can hear this very strongly in the
                                          > record,
                                          > the classical touch is far far beyond.
                                          >
                                          > Pierre

                                        • mark jung
                                          Message 20 of 26 , May 4, 2005
                                            It is. Go without groceries next month.

                                          • StoOdin101@aol.com
                                            Message 21 of 26 , May 4, 2005
                                              >Combo FH "Veci (Things)" 1980 Czechoslovakia
                                              .
                                              .
                                              .
                                              .
                                              A great album, if you can find it! I have it on vinyl...I seem to remember a CD reissue, but I think it's come and gone. Let's check the Usual Sources...(google, google, google)...nope, didn't find one.

                                              np: Howard Hanson - Mosaics for Orchestra, etc.

                                              ø¬º°`°º¬ø,,,,ø¬º°`°º¬ø,,,,ø¬º°`°º¬ø,,,,ø¬º°`°º¬ø¬º°`°º¬ø,,,,ø¬ºø¬º°`°º¬ø,,,,ø¬º°`°º¬ø,,,,ø¬º°`°º¬

                                              Those saltshaker guys from Skaro, get a few pangalactic gargleblasters in 'em and they're not so bad. Except for the singing, of course.

                                            • Renato Moraes
                                              Message 22 of 26 , May 4, 2005
                                                There is a very old second hand shop here in Brazil that the owner always says:

                                                die by starvation, but die listening to what you like.

                                                :o)

                                                and Thom, last time I saw you, you had some extra pounds you can lose.

                                                Renato

                                                  Message 24 of 26 , May 4, 2005
                                                    I guess we're saying the sky is the limit here and it's worth it at that.

                                                    Thom

                                                    It is. Go without groceries next month.

                                                    > Thom,
                                                    > Are you talking about Abbiamo Tutti I Suoi Problemi?
                                                    >
                                                    > It is in RIO vein. Excellent in my opinion. Much more complex than PdP
                                                    >1st. I love this record.
                                                    >
                                                    > Renato
                                                    >
                                                    >otomstreet@... wrote:
                                                    >Hi Darren,
                                                    >
                                                    >To my ears there is a warmer, richer sound with more depth to it but then
                                                    >again that could also be my subconcious speaking to justify the amount I
                                                    >spent on it. I could also mention there is another one on sale for $36 or
                                                    >so by CD Boomers Inc. Does anyone have the second CD? Is it worth spending
                                                    >OOP prices for it, I've already lost one bid on it recently.
                                                    >
                                                    >Thom
                                                  • Renato Moraes
                                                    Message 25 of 26 , May 9, 2005
                                                      Hello all,
                                                      Some of you have already heard about or heard it itself, Armazem (now renamed as Armazem Abaporu) is going to play in France, several dates. Take a look below. If you are around, don�t miss it

                                                      They are playing some of the best instrumental music in brasil nowadays.

                                                      Please, spread the word.

                                                      rgds
                                                      Renato

                                                      May 13

                                                      L'Atelier � spectacle (Vernouillet - Fran�a)

                                                      May 19

                                                      Festival Les Musiques 2005, La Cartonnerie, Friche de la Belle de mai (coproduction Le Cri du Port / GMEM)
                                                      Marseille (Fran�a)

                                                      May 20

                                                      SATELLIT-cafe
                                                      44, rue de la folie M�ricourt