the Magma bug has bitten

  • otomstreet@comcast.net
    Message 1 of 14 , Nov 4, 2004
      I've been struggling with Magma for a couple of years now and to be honest more often than not they've given me a headache. Even at NEARfest I had a rough time of it but then again my sinus were giving me a hard time then. Now there have been a number of recordings that were more than ok but it was still more of a being in the mood for than really liking it. Anyway today I come home to fine Kobaia, their first double album waiting for me and this I really like. Granted todays listening has set me up very nicely for Magma but really this is a great album, far more interesting and original than Hhai which everyone seems to recommend. this is really going to be cool to blast through the full stereo when the wife isn't home (don't need a divorce). Looks like I'll be picking up a bunch more of their CDs in the future.

      Thom
    • StoOdin101@aol.com
      Message 2 of 14 , Nov 4, 2004

        --
        .
        .

        "The song of MALCONTENT I chose to sing/I CHOSE to sing, I was not FORCED or anything..." -- Rattlemouth; "Carnivorous Stew"
      • Jean-Henry Berevoescu
        Message 3 of 14 , Nov 4, 2004
          otomstreet@... wrote:

          >I've been struggling with Magma for a couple of years now and to be honest more often than not they've given me a headache. Even at NEARfest I had a rough time of it but then again my sinus were giving me a hard time then. Now there have been a number of recordings that were more than ok but it was still more of a being in the mood for than really liking it. Anyway today I come home to fine Kobaia, their first double album waiting for me and this I really like. Granted todays listening has set me up very nicely for Magma but really this is a great album, far more interesting and original than Hhai which everyone seems to recommend. this is really going to be cool to blast through the full stereo when the wife isn't home (don't need a divorce). Looks like I'll be picking up a bunch more of their CDs in the future.
          >
          >Thom

          Hmmm... Interesting. I tend to look at Magma's output as partitioned in
          two distinctive periods, of which Kobaia and "1001 (o) Centigrades"
          represents
          one and the subsequent titles the other period.
          I love both, but if asked about one big time favourite, I guess I'm
          inclined to
          prefer the first period, with the 2nd Magma being my first choice. I
          just cannot give
          many examples where the composition is better than on this album, I
          just love
          the intricate layered themes - while I listen to it I get the strong
          impression that
          the themes performed together are so different, while as a whole the fit so
          perfectly... It's always a joy for me to play this album... As I said,
          it is hard for me
          to explain, definitely due to my utter lack of proper musical education,
          but I
          guess the more learned ones on this list can put better in words what I am
          struggling to say here... Or, maybe I'm only imagining things after all,
          maybe
          it's all (only) in my head... :-) :-) :-)

          J.
        • Gerald Van Waes
          Message 4 of 14 , Nov 5, 2004
            I heard a number of Magmas. The live album (Hhai ?) which I heard first simply was the wrong entry for me. Very dark. Couldn't get much out of it except for some fragments. But then Iheard üdü Wüdu and I was hooked by the long track there. My favourite now still are Mekanik destruktiw komandoh, kohntakosz, wurdah utah followed by udu wudu and 1001 centigrades ; I hgave a few fragments of retrospekitiv vol 1/2 on kompila which I think are very good but I never baught that double album because it is sold at a very expensive price

            gerald

            > this is a great album, far more interesting and original than Hhai which everyone seems to recommend

            --
            .
            .
            .
            Won't catch ME recommending Hhai over Kobaia. I don't think Kobaia is really top of the crop, but there's nothing on it I dislike as much as I dislike that extremely lengthy fiddle chopsuey called "Mekanik Zain" on Hhai. I am in the minority on that one however. So welcome to the club. Get 1001 Degrees C. next, or Wurdah Itah.

            "The song of MALCONTENT I chose to sing/I CHOSE to sing, I was not FORCED or anything..." -- Rattlemouth; "Carnivorous Stew"

            Subscribe: avant-progressive-subscribe@...

            Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

          • otomstreet@comcast.net
            Message 5 of 14 , Nov 5, 2004
              Won't catch ME recommending Hhai over Kobaia. I don't think Kobaia is really top of the crop, but there's nothing on it I dislike as much as I dislike that extremely lengthy fiddle chopsuey called "Mekanik Zain" on Hhai. I am in the minority on that one however. So welcome to the club. Get 1001 Degrees C. next, or Wurdah Itah.
              **************************************
              I already have 1001 Degrees C. which originally gave me hope since I tend to like Magma with a horn section.

              Thom

            • Renato Moraes
              Message 6 of 14 , Nov 6, 2004
                THOM (read this with god like voice - metatrom-ish - loud and thundereous)
                LISTEN TO A WISE VOICE: MEKANIK ZAIN IS GREAT! MAGMA IS GREAT.
                LISTEN T IT AGAIN CAREFULLY!!!
                I PROMISSE, YOU WILL CHANGE YOUR MIND!

                Jokes apart, I think that people dont bring in mind when listen to kobaia TODAY is: it was done in 69, it is really breaking barriers then!

                I love 1001C. The first Magma I litened to was Kontarkosz, in 1980, and I hated it so badly, that I bought it only 5 years ago, just to discover it is great, it was not the right time to listen to it. In 82 I got LIVE (today called Hhai) and it knocked me down, so much energy!

                Man, you have to go back and do your home work again, write this down, I am sure that in a couple of years you will write back to this list saying you lost of time, but now you love Hhai and Mekanik Zain!

                HAMATAI

                Renato
                otomstreet@... wrote:
                Won't catch ME recommending Hhai over Kobaia. I don't think Kobaia is really top of the crop, but there's nothing on it I dislike as much as I dislike that extremely lengthy fiddle chopsuey called "Mekanik Zain" on Hhai. I am in the minority on that one however. So welcome to the club. Get 1001 Degrees C. next, or Wurdah Itah.
                **************************************
                I already have 1001 Degrees C. which originally gave me hope since I tend to like Magma with a horn section.

                Thom

                Subscribe: avant-progressive-subscribe@...

                Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

                Message 7 of 14 , Nov 6, 2004
                  Hi Renato,

                  It's always wonderful hearing from you, you are too quiet on the lists these days.It's due to you that I have continued to check out Magma, as you have given me so many wonderful recommendations in the past and our shared love of Univers Zero. I have now heard Kobaia about 4 or 5 times (lost count) overs the last couple of days and I find it wonderful. Yes very ground breaking for it's time but I might remind you that this is time of my favorite recordings, I was a young wide eyed teenager then and I enjoy going back there especially with discovering new wonderful recordings like Kobaia. Please let me say that this recording has puhed a number of other wonderful recording to the back. Resently I've also received Wapassou's Salammbo, Weidorje, Bruford / Moraz's Music For Piano and Drums and Bruford's Gradually Going Tornado. So I'm really saying alot by playing the Magma instead. I think with Magma I'm going to need to follow them from beginning to end, at least until I grasp the full concept.

                  Thom

                • StoOdin101@aol.com
                  Message 8 of 14 , Nov 6, 2004
                    In a message dated 11/6/2004 4:33:06 AM Eastern Standard Time,
                    remoraes01@... writes:
                    The first Magma I litened to was Kontarkosz, in 1980, and I hated it so
                    badly, that I bought it only 5 years ago, just to discover it is great, it was not
                    the right time to listen to it. In 82 I got LIVE (today called Hhai) and it
                    knocked me down, so much energy!
                    .
                    .
                    .
                    .
                    .
                    Kohntarkosz was also the first Magma I ever heard, in 1974, I believe,
                    followed very shortly by MDK. I recall the excitement I had when I got Magma Live
                    (now known as Hhai) --- and how quickly that became disappointment when I found
                    out that Kohntark was the SAME as Kohntarkosz, Kobah the same as Kobaia (great
                    performances of both, though with Kohntarkosz I prefer the studio lineup,
                    even if it is a pretty muddy recording) and 90% of Mekanik Zain was just a violin
                    jamming over an ostinato figure. (Tangerine Dream did that sort of thing a
                    lot better back then.) See, new titles lead me to expect new music.
                    On the other hand, the conclusion to Kohntark is great, and you don't get
                    that on the studio album (though I'm fine with that sudden conclusion as well)
                    and you do get two new tracks that are very good. I've come to "like" Hhai over
                    the years --- though if I play side 4, I play it by skipping directly to the
                    energetic MDK stuff and simply don't listen to Didier Lockwood's longwinded bit
                    -- but I wouldn't recommend it as a starting place for the band. Still, as I
                    said before, I'm very much in the minority there. ( I also think the Genesis
                    rot began with LAMB, another minority opinion.)

                    Message 9 of 14 , Nov 6, 2004
                      In a message dated 11/6/2004 8:57:05 PM Eastern Standard Time,
                      progczar@... writes:
                      >>( I also think the Genesis rot began with LAMB,

                      Me too!
                      .
                      .
                      .

                      Welcome to the club!

                      np: 5 cds on shuffle play:
                      Guapo - 5 Suns
                      Silly Wizard - Live Wizardry
                      In Extremo - Verehrt und Angespien (sp?)
                      Cro Magnon & (Bub) - Brosella Suite
                      Vril - Effigies in Cork

                    • Cesar Montesano
                      Message 10 of 14 , Nov 6, 2004
                        >>( I also think the Genesis rot began with LAMB,

                        Me too!

                        >>another minority opinion.)

                        !`';o(esar
                      • Frank Camiola
                        Message 11 of 14 , Nov 7, 2004
                          > Won't catch ME recommending Hhai over Kobaia. I don't think Kobaia is
                          > really top of the crop, but there's nothing on it I dislike as much as I
                          > dislike that extremely lengthy fiddle chopsuey called "Mekanik Zain" on
                          > Hhai. I am in the minority on that one however. So welcome to the club.
                          > Get 1001 Degrees C. next, or Wurdah Itah.
                          > **************************************
                          > I already have 1001 Degrees C. which originally gave me hope since I tend
                          > to like Magma with a horn section.
                          >
                          > Thom

                          With all of this Magma talk, I busted out MDK a few days ago. The album is a
                          true masterwork from beginning to end. There is some special quality that
                          this album posesses that one really cannot put into words - but just makes
                          this album so special. It's the general vibe, feeling, and soul of this band
                          that makes them so terrific. It's not just a bunch of notes thrown out -
                          quite the contrary - every moment in the music serves a specific purpose and
                          it seems that Vander has a unique gift in this respect. Once Magma *hits*
                          you, there is no turning back. I don't really think there is any
                          middle-of-the-road Magma fans, either you get them or you don't. They were
                          one of the greatest prog discoveries for myself personally.

                          Frankie
                        • otomstreet@comcast.net
                          Message 12 of 14 , Nov 7, 2004
                            > Won't catch ME recommending Hhai over Kobaia. I don't think Kobaia is
                            > really top of the crop, but there's nothing on it I dislike as much as I
                            > dislike that extremely lengthy fiddle chopsuey called "Mekanik Zain" on
                            > Hhai. I am in the minority on that one however. So welcome to the club.
                            > Get 1001 Degrees C. next, or Wurdah Itah.
                            > **************************************
                            > I already have 1001 Degrees C. which originally gave me hope since I tend
                            > to like Magma with a horn section.
                            >
                            > Thom

                            With all of this Magma talk, I busted out MDK a few days ago. The album is a
                            true masterwork from beginning to end. There is some special quality that
                            this album posesses that one really cannot put into words - but just makes
                            this album so special. It's the general vibe, feeling, and soul of this band
                            that makes them so terrific. It's not just a bunch of notes thrown out -
                            quite the contrary - every moment in the music serves a specific purpose and
                            it seems that Vander has a unique gift in this respect. Once Magma *hits*
                            you, there is no turning back. I don't really think there is any
                            middle-of-the-road Magma fans, either you get them or you don't. They were
                            one of the greatest prog discoveries for myself personally.

                            Frankie
                            *******************

                            I've listen to Kobaia near a dozen times over the last few days and I just can't seem to get enough of it. I did also play 1001 degrees C. once and it fell right in with Kobaia so I'm thiking that either the Unnameables or MDK should be my next purchase in the Magma line. What should I get if I were to pick up some Heldon>

                            Thom

                          • Frank Camiola
                            Message 13 of 14 , Nov 7, 2004
                              > *******************
                              >
                              > I've listen to Kobaia near a dozen times over the last few days and I just
                              > can't seem to get enough of it. I did also play 1001 degrees C. once and
                              > it fell right in with Kobaia so I'm thiking that either the Unnameables or
                              > MDK should be my next purchase in the Magma line. What should I get if I
                              > were to pick up some Heldon>
                              >
                              > Thom

                              Dude - stick with *Magma* for a few days first!!!!! Jeezzz....!!!

                              You are more OCD than me!

                              Frankie

                              ps - Just kidding. I have no Heldon.
                            • Michael Feathers
                              Message 14 of 14 , Nov 7, 2004
                                Frank Camiola wrote:

                                > Dude - stick with *Magma* for a few days first!!!!! Jeezzz....!!!
                                >
                                > You are more OCD than me!

                                It's funny.. on the Hommes/Batterie video, Vander says something like
                                "when I was younger I was very into obessional music."

                                Gee, ya think? :-)