Re: [avant-progressive] Turing Machine

  • Michael Feathers
    Message 1 of 13 , Sep 30, 2004
      Zero the Hero wrote:

      > On Thu, 30 Sep 2004, Michael Feathers wrote:
      > > I saw this band listed as a "follower" of Magma. Any good?
      >
      > Excellent, manic, instrumental post/math-rock, but nothing like Magma.

      Thanks to everyone who replied. I always suspect that sites like
      allmusic.com pepper their recommendations with odd links. I guess this
      is more evidence :-)
    • Michael Eisenberg
      Message 2 of 13 , Oct 1, 2004
        Hmm, don't hear much math rock either :)

        Zero the Hero wrote:

        >On Thu, 30 Sep 2004, Michael Eisenberg wrote:
        >

        >>Pretty much straightforward
        >>Chicago style "Tortoise-like" post rock.

        I suppose your'e right, I should have explained myself more clearly.
        When I said this I was just thinking in general terms. In many peoples
        mind, Tortoise was the epitome of the "post rock" sound so I used them
        as as example. Sorry, should have realized that splitting hairs is the
        norm here, gotta watch it next time. ;)

        best
        Michael

        --
        Outré Music
        Music Beyond Boundaries

      • Michael Anton Parker
        Message 3 of 13 , Oct 1, 2004
          @@@ Michael Feathers:
          >I saw this band listed as a "follower" of Magma. Any good?
          @@@

          Bought that "New Machine For Living" disc many years ago from Wayside
          based on the blurb... Excellent instrumental guitar/bass/drums
          math-rock with a fairly hard edge. Definitely worth buying for fans
          of this general genre, but not a mind-blowing essential classic. If
          you want a mind-blowing essential, that would be Hella's "Hold Your
          Horse Is".

          I cannot recall any connection or similarity to Magma whatsoever...

          @@@ Michael Eisenberg:
          good?...yeah, I would say so, but if you think you are getting anything
          remotely like Magma...not even close. Pretty much straightforward
          Chicago style "Tortoise-like" post rock.
          @@@

          Hmm, absolutely no similarities to Tortoise that I recall!!! I see
          Jason disputed that too in this thread... I mean, gee, if there's
          some kind of "Chicago" element, it would have to be Shellac or
          something... Hell, for all I know they could've been produced by
          Steve Albini!

          @@@ Michael Eisenberg:
          Hmm, don't hear much math rock either :)
          @@@

          Hmm, we must be talking about a different band or a different album,
          because Turing Machine's "New Machine For Living" sounds like darn
          near *prototypical* math rock!

          Mike Parker
          SE Pennsylvania

          np: Recent Investigations of Funk-Metal, Volume 14

          The best way to predict the future is to invent it. --Alan Kay
        • Michael Feathers
          Message 4 of 13 , Oct 1, 2004

            > @@@ Michael Eisenberg:
            > Hmm, don't hear much math rock either :)
            > @@@
            >
            > Hmm, we must be talking about a different band or a different album,
            > because Turing Machine's "New Machine For Living" sounds like darn
            > near *prototypical* math rock!

            You know, I've heard this term for a while now. Does anyone know of any
            samples on the web of "math rock" that I could listen to to get a sense
            of it?
          • jason rodriguez
            Message 5 of 13 , Oct 1, 2004
              "I always suspect that sites like
              allmusic.com pepper their recommendations with odd links. I guess this
              is more evidence :-)"

              Yep, that's basically what CuneiWay said sometime last week I think. Lots of Hipsters dropping names, but they've never even heard them...they just know that they should.

              For examples of "Math-Rock"? Hmmm....well if you've ever heard the Ruins, there's one. Another is Hella. I think their site is www.hellaband.com , you can get some samples there I think. Either there, or go to the Press/Interviews section where they have links to the publications' sites with the articles...I know that one of them has a sample of the tune "Republic of Rough and Ready". I like it! I need "Hold Your Horse Is"!!!

              Michael Feathers <mfeathers@...> wrote:

              > @@@ Michael Eisenberg:
              > Hmm, don't hear much math rock either :)
              > @@@
              >
              > Hmm, we must be talking about a different band or a different album,
              > because Turing Machine's "New Machine For Living" sounds like darn
              > near *prototypical* math rock!

              You know, I've heard this term for a while now. Does anyone know of any
              samples on the web of "math rock" that I could listen to to get a sense
              of it?

              Subscribe: avant-progressive-subscribe@...

              Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

            • Michael Anton Parker
              Message 6 of 13 , Oct 1, 2004
                @@@ Jason:
                I need "Hold Your Horse Is"!!!
                @@@

                Man, you need it *badly*!!!! I mean, BADLY!

                I need Grand Ulena's disc, probably badly.

                For math rock samples, there's gotta be Don Cab samples out there in
                webland somewhere? I guess they are the most famous example of this
                genre.

                Funny, I've never thought of Ruins in that genre at all! But
                cognition is supposed to be fuzzy...

                [Anyone in the Baltimore area should attend at least one part of the
                High Zero festival this weekend--a mind-blowing event. Check out the
                website: <highzero.org>. I'll be there for every last minute. Last
                night was good, but tonight Joe McPhee, Le Quan Ninh, et al take the
                stage!!!]

                Mike Parker
                SE Pennsylvania

                np: Seeds "Web of Sound"

                The best way to predict the future is to invent it. --Alan Kay
              • Zero the Hero
                Message 7 of 13 , Oct 1, 2004
                  On Fri, 1 Oct 2004, Michael Feathers wrote:
                  > You know, I've heard this term for a while now. Does anyone know of any
                  > samples on the web of "math rock" that I could listen to to get a sense
                  > of it?

                  The archetypical band to my mind is Don Caballero. Weren't they the first
                  for which the (admittedly very stupid) term was coined?

                  --
                  Jason Ellerbee - jeller@...
                  DREAMS WIDE AWAKE radio show - http://www.DreamsWideAwake.tk/
                  Message 8 of 13 , Oct 1, 2004
                    about Turing Machine...I just dont see them as math rock...I hear alot
                    of simple chugga chugga rhythms going on that are pretty straigh
                    forward. Nothing at all like Hella or Don Cab which are all
                    complex/this way that way/stop on a dime/very little melody etc. I
                    always thought that was math rock.

                    ...whatever

                    Zero the Hero wrote:

                    >On Fri, 1 Oct 2004, Michael Feathers wrote:
                    >

                    >>You know, I've heard this term for a while now. Does anyone know of any
                    >>samples on the web of "math rock" that I could listen to to get a sense
                    >>of it?
                    >>

                    >The archetypical band to my mind is Don Caballero. Weren't they the first
                    >for which the (admittedly very stupid) term was coined?

                    --
                    Outré Music
                    Music Beyond Boundaries
                    http://www.outremusic.com

                  • Joshua
                    Message 9 of 13 , Oct 4, 2004
                      i remember seeing that on allmusic as well after listening to both
                      bands. i think its more that every member of turing machine is a
                      huge magma head and maybe the fact about the fandom leaked into it
                      some how. another note worthy thing may be that a one time member of
                      magma either mixed, or mastered their first record.

                      The new album is coming out pretty soon on French Kiss and its way
                      more groove oriented than "mathy" but much better imho.
                      -josh