Re: ESKATON (4 of dubious interest. )

  • cuneiway
    Message 1 of 10 , Sep 3, 2004
      Hi

      > Out of pure self-interest, might I suggest reissuing "Four Visions"
      > with the extra bonus tracks Craig wants? Or maybe some other label
      > (MIO?) would care to license "Four Visions" if Soleil Zeuhl has no
      > interest...

      comments from a fellow record label owner:

      1) IF Alain says that the four tracks are probably not of a style that his core
      audience would be interested in, I think he's probably thought about this a lot
      and he's probably right.

      Without insulting Craig, would he REALLY buy it? Or would he borrow it or
      download, hear that these four tracks "sucked" and that would be that.
      Should Alain have to take it up the shiv (pardon) to satisfy everyone's
      curiousity about these tracks?

      I mean, I was offered the chance to release the (infamous) Co Ballroom 1968
      Soft Machine tape (which in terms of sound quality sucks worse than almost
      anything else I have ever heard). Should I have released it to satisfy people's
      curiousity about "if the show really sounded that bad"? Anyway, Voiceprint
      released it and you can listen to it in its awful glory if you really want to.

      2) Once something in this vein has been reissued in an edition of 1500 (I
      believe that there were 1,000 made and then an additional 500 made on
      APM) then, well, that's IT in terms of sales. Alain's right. The vast majority of
      my releases don't sell 1500. Is Happy Family a Zeuhl classic? Maybe. Has it
      sold 1500? maybe, but I am not sure, and it's been steadily in print since
      1995.

      The fact that 4 people on a specialized mailing list want something doesn't
      mean that there is ANY great demand for it. It means that there are four
      people on a specialized mailing list who want it, and possibly nothing more....

      Steve
    • tywebb22033
      Message 2 of 10 , Sep 3, 2004
        This is just my opinion, of course, but, having a copy of ICARE, I
        would totally agree with what Alain said regarding the muscial
        content.

        I can totally understand wanting to hear this for yourself (I would
        be the same way) or wanting to have ICARE for collection purposes,
        but, if anyone is seeking this for musical purposes, I would just
        warn you not to expect much.

        I would much rather see if the live tape that seems to around, "Live
        a Blois '83" could be released (although I havent heard it). My CDR
        of ICARE also has an alternate version of "Le Cri" on it, which is
        not as good as the original, but it is good and would be worth
        releasing if it was possible.
      • lasciviakuci
        Message 3 of 10 , Sep 3, 2004
          --- In avant-progressive@yahoogroups.com, Meidad Zaharia wrote:

          > MIO won't do this because Eskaton are a SZ group.

          I don't quite understand this attitude, in the following sense. Say
          you wanted to reissue the album, and so did the band and the copyright
          holder, but Alain Lebon did not: why should anyone feel offended or
          not want the project to go ahead? I wasn't suggesting you go behind
          Alain's back.

          > Second, I think Alain is right and that the potential to sell 4
          > Visions is very much in question.

          I'll take the word of Alain, you, and Steve on this. I had no idea
          how much APM had made or sold; it's just noticable that one of their
          releases (Kultivator) is still easy to get years later, but most not,
          even though the Eskaton is highly rated by many. Did they produce
          many more copies of the Kultivator CD?

          > Besides, this month we start the Urban Sax reissue program &
          > the other 2 Besombeses are out this month...

          Ah, good news with the bad.

          Darren
        • cuneiway
          Message 4 of 10 , Sep 3, 2004
            > I'll take the word of Alain, you, and Steve on this. I had no idea
            > how much APM had made or sold; it's just noticable that one of their
            > releases (Kultivator) is still easy to get years later, but most not,

            The Kultivator is 'easy to get' because they didn't sell them all (unlike the
            Eskaton) and when they went bust, we bought out much of their inventory
            from the bankrupcy lawyers including about 100 copies of this.

            But there's only a couple of Kultivators left now anyway.

            Steve
          • Meidad Zaharia
            Message 5 of 10 , Sep 3, 2004
              > I don't quite understand this attitude, in the following sense. Say
              > you wanted to reissue the album, and so did the band and the copyright
              > holder, but Alain Lebon did not: why should anyone feel offended or
              > not want the project to go ahead? I wasn't suggesting you go behind
              > Alain's back.

              Darren, I know you didn't mean I should go behind Alain's back BUT I do try to
              stay away from my associates groups. It's like a certain border I draw.
              There are 1000000000 of LP's to do out there and if SZ made few Eskaton CD's
              so I don't want to see the third comming out on MIO unless Alain will ask me to
              do this and it will fit MIO's plans... :)

              > I'll take the word of Alain, you, and Steve on this. I had no idea
              > how much APM had made or sold; it's just noticable that one of their
              > releases (Kultivator) is still easy to get years later, but most not,
              > even though the Eskaton is highly rated by many. Did they produce
              > many more copies of the Kultivator CD?

              As far as I know they made 1500 CD's and it's soon to be OOP for years now.
              Speaking of Kultivator I would recommend for those who don't know another
              great album of a Swedish group named: Psynkopat from the late 70's as well.
              Very good wild Canterbury & Zeuhl moments mixed with prog rock & punk at moments.

              > > Besides, this month we start the Urban Sax reissue program &
              > > the other 2 Besombeses are out this month...
              >
              > Ah, good news with the bad.

              Bad? what bad news Darren?

              Meidad

              http://mail.yahoo.com
            • lasciviakuci
              Message 6 of 10 , Sep 4, 2004
                --- In avant-progressive@yahoogroups.com, Meidad Zaharia wrote:

                > Bad? what bad news Darren?

                That "Four Visions" is going to stay out of print. Bad news to the
                four of us who don't have it...

                Darren
              • Meidad Zaharia
                Message 7 of 10 , Sep 4, 2004
                  > That "Four Visions" is going to stay out of print. Bad news to the
                  > four of us who don't have it...
                  >
                  > Darren

                  LOL, don't worry Darren, in 20 years I promise you that it will be out again somewhere...

                  Meidad

                  http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail