not getting something

    Message 1 of 12 , Jul 4, 2004
      >>  I'm getting very used to "not
      >>getting something" and then discovering later that it is wonderful.

      I tend to find that these are at times the BEST records...

      Steve
    • Michael Feathers
      Message 2 of 12 , Jul 4, 2004
        Hello CuneiWay,

        >>>  I'm getting very used to "not
        >>>getting something" and then discovering later that it is wonderful.

        Cac> I tend to find that these are at times the BEST records...

        Yes. What bugs me is that the lags are longer than I expect them to
        be. I remember being thrown by a Yes or a Gentle Giant album on
        first listen years ago and then catching on after a couple listens,
        but now, well, I'm "getting" things years after purchase. Ouch!

        Buying CDs now feels more like investing.

        Michael
      • Pierre Tassone
        Message 3 of 12 , Jul 4, 2004
          Michael,

          One always responds differently to things because of time or situations. Many factors play a role and it's damn difficult to find out which combination caused the change of perception. Here are a few in no special order: day/night listening, devices used to play the music, age, one's own general situation, amount of activity, any form of musical education improvement, focus, listening something out of its historical or social context, etc... You shouldn't be worried by the gap. The fact that you may through time perceive things differently shows that you still function - or even improve - as a curious and active listener ... and human being.

          Pierre

          PS: I have even experienced lags from hate to love to hate again or reversely :)

          > Yes. What bugs me is that the lags are longer than I expect them to
          > be. I remember being thrown by a Yes or a Gentle Giant album on
          > first listen years ago and then catching on after a couple listens,
          > but now, well, I'm "getting" things years after purchase. Ouch!
        • jason rodriguez
          Message 4 of 12 , Jul 6, 2004
            Yep...this has happened to me on four occasions that I can remember. The first one being when I was about 9 or 10 and happened upon a Coltrane LP in my Dad's collection that was from his mid to late period; "Transitions" on ABC/Impulse: Not only did it go way over my head, but it was entirely too much for my little brain to comprehend...just scared the shit out of me, LOL!

            Now it's one of my favorites.

            It happened with Zappa's "Lumpy Gravy" and "Jazz From Hell".

            And Magma's "M.D.K.": My first 2 were "Udu Wudu" and "1,001 Degrees..." All of the repitition really threw me at first, until I was able to appreciate the purpose of it...then I was and still am fascinated by it!

            And just as Steve said, they've all turned out to be absolute favorites of mine.

            Pierre Tassone <musbymail@...> wrote:
            Michael,

            One always responds differently to things because of time or situations. Many factors play a role and it's damn difficult to find out which combination caused the change of perception. Here are a few in no special order: day/night listening, devices used to play the music, age, one's own general situation, amount of activity, any form of musical education improvement, focus, listening something out of its historical or social context, etc... You shouldn't be worried by the gap. The fact that you may through time perceive things differently shows that you still function - or even improve - as a curious and active listener ... and human being.

            Pierre

            PS: I have even experienced lags from hate to love to hate again or reversely :)

            > Yes. What bugs me is that the lags are longer than I expect them to
            > be. I remember being thrown by a Yes or a Gentle Giant album on
            > first listen years ago and then catching on after a couple listens,
            > but now, well, I'm "getting" things years after purchase. Ouch!

            Subscribe: avant-progressive-subscribe@...

            Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

          • vinyl_disciple
            Message 5 of 12 , Jul 7, 2004
              Jason,

              I was utterly amazed to read that "Transition" was the album for you.
              When I started thinking about this thread, "Transition" occured to me as
              my ultimate example also. At first, it seemed like a jumble of "jazz
              noise". I listened to it occasionally through high school, and it didn't
              really strike me. Then, one day in college, it hit me. I saw the
              direction, the striving of the music for the first time.

              I'm still waiting for many other groups we talk about here to reach me on
              that same level. I'm not giving up on the most extreme avant-noise,
              since as Steve said, sometimes those albums that take the longest can
              become favorites. Anyway, if we got it all immediately, it would
              probably be less fun. I think that is part of the joy of this kind of
              music - you make constant discoveries in the best albums.

              I wonder if anyone here finds the inverse to be true also -
              immediate/accessible albums often fall out of favor faster. Take that as
              a generality from me, not a rule (Yes "Close to the Edge" grabbed me
              immediately and remains a favorite to this day).

              Other albums that fell into this category (not immediately getting it)
              for me: Yes "Tales From Topographic Oceans" (really too expansive for me
              to digest in one or a few listens - I couldn't see each piece as unified
              until getting used to the whole suite.) Cecil Taylor "Unit Structures"
              (I had to radically adjust my concept of time & structure to begin to
              appreciate this). None of Cecil's other work has grabbed me on this
              level.

              Best,
              Ken

              --- In avant-progressive@yahoogroups.com, jason rodriguez
              <jaycleveland2003@y...> wrote:
              > Yep...this has happened to me on four occasions that I can remember.
              The first one being when I was about 9 or 10 and happened upon a
              Coltrane LP in my Dad's collection that was from his mid to late period;
              "Transitions" on ABC/Impulse: Not only did it go way over my head, but
              it was entirely too much for my little brain to comprehend...just scared
              the shit out of me, LOL!

              > Now it's one of my favorites.
            • Pierre Tassone
              Message 6 of 12 , Jul 7, 2004
                Absolutely! I said it before in a previous posting. Both directions are possible. And agreed, some albums hitting one at first listening may be just a trick of the tail! Once you go beyond the surface, it can sometimes get scary or depressing. But since we're still discussing this thread, there is also the CD which has survived the big test of time; hitting you from day one and still exciting after 20 years ...... any examples anyone experienced in this category? for me it's just a song, not an album; it has invaded me and I play it often as a destressing mean. It is Mingus's "Duke Ellington Sound Of Love". It won't leave me ......

                Pierre

                Message 7 of 12 , Jul 7, 2004
                  "But since we're still discussing this thread, there is also the CD which has survived the big test of time; hitting you from day one and still exciting after 20 years....."

                  Ah! Well..I've only been around for about 24 and a half years now, but I have some examples.

                  My musical "first love" was the very first Todd Rundgren's Utopia LP. The one with "The Ikon" and "Freak Parade". I was obsessed with this thing when I was 5 years old. Never being allowed to touch the record player, I'd wait for Pop to come home from work every single night and have him put it on, give me some headphones, and rock out in the corner:P My first intro to both forward-thinking music and Esoteric ideas.

                  About a year later, I found "Streetnoise" by Brian Auger and the Trinity in Pop's stack(with that scary, ugly-ass Ralph Steadman portrait on the back).

                  Zappa's "Hot Rats", the first Mr. Bungle album, Holdsworth's first I.O.U. album, Yes' "Fragile" and "Close to the Edge"...a few others that escape me right now.

                  I like this thread! :)

                • jason rodriguez
                  Message 8 of 12 , Jul 7, 2004
                    vinyl_disciple <k.klapper@...> wrote:
                    "Jason,

                    I was utterly amazed to read that "Transition" was the album for you."

                    Sorry to be a post hog...I just responded to one, and missed this one.

                    Wow, what a small world! All kinds of things have been reminding me of that fact all week! hehe

                  • Tomas Casanova
                    Message 9 of 12 , Jul 7, 2004
                      Hi !!.
                      For me all began when I was 6 years old and for my birthday, my father gave me a copy of K.C.�s In the Court of the Crimson King, P.Floyd�s T.D.S.o.T.M., Beatles�s Sargent Pepper and a little panasonic 3*1 and headphones !!.
                      The rest... is history my friends :-)

                      All the best,
                      T.C.

                      n.p.: Jaime Rosas Trio / Extremos --- great !.

                      Message 10 of 12 , Jul 7, 2004
                        In a message dated 7/7/2004 5:01:58 PM Eastern Daylight Time, "Pierre Tassone" <musbymail@...> writes:

                        >But since we're still discussing this thread, there is also the CD which has survived the big test of time; hitting you from day one and still exciting after 20 years ...... any examples anyone experienced in this category?

                        .
                        .
                        .
                        .
                        There are several albums that have never lost their excitement for me: the first one that comes to mind is VDGG's PAWN HEARTS. Immediately afterward others rush to memory: Magma's MDK, KOHNTARKOSZ and WURDAH ITAH; EL&P's TRILOGY and BSS; Stormy Six's L'APPRENDISTA and AL VOLO; Henry Cow's IPoL and WESTERN CULTURE...quite a few, though only a drop in the bucket in comparison to all the discs I've HEARD since the beginning of my musical obsession.

                        --

                        "There's nothing to be afraid of, honey; it's only SCIENCE FICTION!"
                      • Michael Anton Parker
                        Message 11 of 12 , Jul 8, 2004
                          @@@@@@@@@@@@@
                          But since we're still discussing this thread, there is also the CD
                          which has survived the big test of time; hitting you from day one and
                          still exciting after 20 years ...... any examples anyone experienced
                          in this category?
                          > Pierre
                          @@@@@@@@@@@@@@@

                          yeah, definitely some examples. Slayer "South of Heaven".
                          Metallica "Kill 'Em All". Yes "Fragile". Yes "The Yes Album". lots
                          of stuff by Led Zeppelin. I'm sure these will still blow me away
                          when I'm 90, definitely survivors (15 years or so) that hit me
                          instantly. Just thinking about Yes blows my mind; I can't play that
                          stuff without freaking out!

                          Mike Parker
                          SE Pennsylvania

                          np: Kurt Heyl solos and duos with drummers

                          The best way to predict the future is to invent it. --Alan Kay
                        • Tomas Casanova
                          Message 12 of 12 , Jul 8, 2004
                            Hi !!.

                            Albums: let see: as someone wrote: VanderHammil / Pawnhearts, still today tears drops from my eyes, first albums from Queen, Manfred Manns, Peter Frampton, Triana, AC-DC, Yes, Camel, Styx, Michael Hedges, E.L.P., Silvio Rodriguez + Pablito Milan�s, Tangerine Dream, Brand X, and the list goes on and on !!.

                            Nice topic, good memories from the past,
                            Cheers,
                            T.C.

                            n.p.: Triana / 5to Aniversario.-- Jes�s de la Rosa : R.I.P. !.--