The Danubians

  • Michael Feathers
    Message 1 of 16 , Jul 1, 2004
      I got this CD a little while back and I've got to say that I love it.
      I bought it because I liked Gabi's voice and I love Kampec Dolores'
      'Eye of the Needle.' 'Rapid' didn't do anything for me.

      I don't know what makes 'The Danubians' so special, but I'd love to
      hear more like it. I wonder if it is Amy Denio's presence. The only
      thing I have with her on it is Curlew's 'A Beautiful Western Saddle'
      but that completely befuddles me. Needs more listens I guess.

      Man, this Danubians CD is good. I can't get enough of 'Tebit' or
      'Night Train.'

      Is there really another Danubian's release called 'Danubius' or is
      allmusic.com just screwed up? I noticed that the cover art for that
      release and the eponymous one are switched.
    • Renato Moraes
      Message 2 of 16 , Jul 1, 2004
        Michael,
        I think this is the only CD by them. If you like Amy, you should check:

        The Nudes
        Tone Dog (unfortunatelly, I think they are OOP).
        Billy Tipton & Ne Zehdali - Polo Doro.

        And you are right, this is really great.

        Renato

        Michael Feathers <mfeathers@...> wrote:

        I got this CD a little while back and I've got to say that I love it.
        I bought it because I liked Gabi's voice and I love Kampec Dolores'
        'Eye of the Needle.' 'Rapid' didn't do anything for me.

        I don't know what makes 'The Danubians' so special, but I'd love to
        hear more like it. I wonder if it is Amy Denio's presence. The only
        thing I have with her on it is Curlew's 'A Beautiful Western Saddle'
        but that completely befuddles me. Needs more listens I guess.

        Man, this Danubians CD is good. I can't get enough of 'Tebit' or
        'Night Train.'

        Is there really another Danubian's release called 'Danubius' or is
        allmusic.com just screwed up? I noticed that the cover art for that
        release and the eponymous one are switched.

        Subscribe: avant-progressive-subscribe@...

        Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

      • Zero the Hero
        Message 3 of 16 , Jul 1, 2004
          On Thu, 1 Jul 2004, Michael Feathers wrote:
          > Is there really another Danubian's release called 'Danubius' or is
          > allmusic.com just screwed up? I noticed that the cover art for that
          > release and the eponymous one are switched.

          There's only one, and you have it.

          --
          Jason Ellerbee - jeller@...
          DREAMS WIDE AWAKE radio show - http://www.DreamsWideAwake.tk/
          Message 4 of 16 , Jul 1, 2004
            ZtH> On Thu, 1 Jul 2004, Michael Feathers wrote:
            >> Is there really another Danubian's release called 'Danubius' or is
            >> allmusic.com just screwed up?  I noticed that the cover art for that
            >> release and the eponymous one are switched.

            ZtH> There's only one, and you have it.

            :-(
          • hambuhodo
            Message 5 of 16 , Jul 1, 2004
              hi Michael,

              check out Kampec Dolores' "A bivaly hatan" [Sitting On The Buffalo],
              Pale Nudes (as Renato mentioned), and Anna Homler --esp the
              Homler/Waegeman/Fajt cd "Macaronic Sines". excellent stuff along
              Danubian lines.

              'Danubius' are a San Francisco group who play a, more or less,
              traditional eastern euro/balkan music.

              -mark k
            • mark jung
              Message 6 of 16 , Jul 1, 2004
                The two Tone Dogs albums are very good (Fred Chanelor was in the band, too),
                and I think Amy will personally burn you copy if you ask her. Probably she's
                at amydenio.com. She's very pleasant.
                Also find the EC Nudes, The Pale Nudes ("Soul Come Home" & "Wise to the
                Heat" are quite wonderful in a sort of avant rock/Slapp Happy kind of way)
                and check out some of Amy's music for performances. The Pat Graney (sp?)
                dance company disk is pretty neat. It's got a cut or two from the Danubians
                on it. I think the Danys been working on a second, but I'm not positive.

                Mark

                > Michael,
                > I think this is the only CD by them. If you like Amy, you should check:
                >
                >The Nudes
                >Tone Dog (unfortunatelly, I think they are OOP).
                >Billy Tipton & Ne Zehdali - Polo Doro.
                >
                > And you are right, this is really great.
                >
                > Renato
                >

                >Michael Feathers <mfeathers@...> wrote:
                >

                >I got this CD a little while back and I've got to say that I love it.
                >I bought it because I liked Gabi's voice and I love Kampec Dolores'
                >'Eye of the Needle.' 'Rapid' didn't do anything for me.
                >
                >I don't know what makes 'The Danubians' so special, but I'd love to
                >hear more like it. I wonder if it is Amy Denio's presence. The only
                >thing I have with her on it is Curlew's 'A Beautiful Western Saddle'
                >but that completely befuddles me. Needs more listens I guess.
                >
                >Man, this Danubians CD is good. I can't get enough of 'Tebit' or
                >'Night Train.'
                >
                >Is there really another Danubian's release called 'Danubius' or is
                >allmusic.com just screwed up? I noticed that the cover art for that
                >release and the eponymous one are switched.

                Check out the latest news, polls and tools in the MSN 2004 Election Guide!
                http://special.msn.com/msn/election2004.armx
              • Zero the Hero
                Message 7 of 16 , Jul 1, 2004
                  On Thu, 1 Jul 2004, hambuhodo wrote:
                  > check out Kampec Dolores' "A bivaly hatan" [Sitting On The Buffalo],

                  I agree, I like this one better than 'Rapid'.

                  --
                  Jason Ellerbee - jeller@...
                  DREAMS WIDE AWAKE radio show - http://www.DreamsWideAwake.tk/
                • Cesar Montesano
                  Message 8 of 16 , Jul 1, 2004
                    Agreed on the Tone Dogs stuff, simply marvelous! Have to pick up that
                    Danubians CD.. The Ne Zhdali & Billy Tipton Memorial Orchestra "Pollo
                    d'Oro" album is killer too.

                    On another note(Susanne Lewis, haha, odd joke there), I also liked the
                    Hail albums quite a lot as well: "Turn of the Screw" & "Kirk"

                    Cesar

                  • StoOdin101@aol.com
                    Message 9 of 16 , Jul 1, 2004
                      In a message dated 7/1/2004 12:46:26 PM Eastern Standard Time,
                      remoraes01@... writes:
                      Michael,
                      I think this is the only CD by them. If you like Amy, you should check:

                      Along with that list, she wrote a strange chamber opera that falls musically
                      somewhere between Nyman and the neo-classic period Stravinsky, which she
                      performed in collaboration with some other singers and the band Die Knodel. This
                      disc, "Non Lo So, Polo," sounds nothing like any other Die Knodel album but I
                      like it quite a bit.

                    • generationsensfutut
                      Message 10 of 16 , Jul 2, 2004
                        i love THE DANUBIANS !!!!
                        i love AMY DENIO !!! the only project and collaboration i don't like
                        is DIE KNODEL - NONLOSOPOLO...
                        my favs are with PALE NUDES and BILLY TIPTON!!

                        i also like a lot KAMPEC DOLORES !!!
                      • Michael Feathers
                        Message 11 of 16 , Jul 2, 2004
                          Sac> In a message dated 7/1/2004 12:46:26 PM Eastern Standard Time,
                          Sac> remoraes01@... writes:
                          Sac>   Michael,
                          Sac>   I think this is the only CD by them. If you like Amy, you should check:

                          Sac> Along with that list, she wrote a strange chamber opera that falls musically
                          Sac> somewhere between Nyman and the neo-classic period Stravinsky, which she
                          Sac> performed in collaboration with some other singers and the band Die Knodel. This
                          Sac> disc, "Non Lo So, Polo," sounds nothing like any other Die Knodel album but I
                          Sac> like it quite a bit.

                          I'll have to try that. I was disappointed by Die Knodel's Panorama so
                          I'm leery of other efforts when someone else writes for them.

                          In my opinion, Christof Dienz, the guy who wrote much of Die
                          Knodel's material is a great composer. Unfortunately, I
                          haven't seen anything else by him.

                          Michael
                        • StoOdin101@aol.com
                          Message 12 of 16 , Jul 3, 2004
                            In a message dated 7/2/2004 6:52:52 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
                            mfeathers@... writes:
                            I was disappointed by Die Knodel's Panorama so
                            I'm leery of other efforts when someone else writes for them.

                            In my opinion, Christof Dienz, the guy who wrote much of Die
                            Knodel's material is a great composer.
                            I agree re Dienz, but I thought most of PANORAMA worked. There were a couple
                            of tracks I didn't care for, but the biggest part of it was as enjoyable as
                            the earlier discs, imho...

                          • Michael Feathers
                            Message 13 of 16 , Jul 3, 2004
                              Sac> In a message dated 7/2/2004 6:52:52 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
                              Sac> mfeathers@... writes:
                              Sac> I was disappointed by Die Knodel's Panorama so
                              Sac> I'm leery of other efforts when someone else writes for them.

                              Sac> In my opinion, Christof Dienz, the guy who wrote much of Die
                              Sac> Knodel's material is a great composer.
                              Sac> I agree re Dienz, but I thought most of PANORAMA worked. There were a couple
                              Sac> of tracks I didn't care for, but the biggest part of it was as enjoyable as
                              Sac> the earlier discs, imho...

                              I should give it another spin then. I'm getting very used to "not
                              getting something" and then discovering later that it is wonderful.
                              My most recent CD in this category is the self-titled 'Rhesus O' disc.
                            • Meidad Zaharia
                              Message 14 of 16 , Jul 3, 2004
                                hey Guys,

                                I know this message is pure advertisment BUT I prefer my friends at
                                avant-prog to grab this set before it's gone forever as MIO at least.

                                The first set I made ever was Magical Power Mako - Hapmoniym (1972-1975) is about to be OOP,
                                We have in stock 40 sets and that's it. We have no plans to restock this item again.
                                So, if you ever had it in your want list order it now or at least ask me to keep you a copy.

                                http://www.miorecords.com/Releases/Mako/mako.html

                                I know Steve got a couple of copies and Forced Exposure have few also.

                                Our online secure shop is:

                                https://miorecordscom.secure.powweb.com/osCommerce/catalog/

                                For each order made we will add our new sampler which is ALSO about to end soon ;-)

                                Decibel'S NEXT...

                                Meidad
                                www.miorecords.com

                                http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail
                              • StoOdin101@aol.com
                                Message 15 of 16 , Jul 3, 2004
                                  In a message dated 7/3/2004 10:57:48 AM Eastern Daylight Time, Michael Feathers <mfeathers@...> writes:

                                  >  I'm getting very used to "not
                                  >getting something" and then discovering later that it is wonderful.
                                  >My most recent CD in this category is the self-titled 'Rhesus O' disc.

                                  I have that happen quite often; I also have some discs I dig out periodically to see if they've improved, only to find that nothing has changed, alas. The most recent belated success story was Art Zoyd's UBIQUE, which didn't impress me at all on first listen, but after its resurrection proved to be a quite nice album - not at all like the early Zoyd, but in a Frohmaderian electronic vein.

                                  --

                                  "There's nothing to be afraid of, honey; it's only SCIENCE FICTION!"