Music From The ONCE Festival 1961-1966

  • meidad
    Message 1 of 1 , May 31, 2004
      Long time since I recommended something to you guys but I am VERY
      busy to say the least!

      Still, I want to share with you one of the most amazing contemporary
      sets I own which no matter how many times you will listen to it you
      will learn more then you imagine...

      I am talking about the "Music From The ONCE Festival 1961-1966" box
      set of 5 CD's made in a superb layout (looks like my Magical Power
      Mako only with a very thick booklet). The festival was made with the
      direction of Robert Ashley and it features many amazing
      composers/performers. The sound of the box is a bit old but it was
      very good remastered and I can grade the box as 10/10 at my scale.

      Music ranges from solo piano sonatas/music concrete/tape
      manipulations/chamber music/vocal music etc....

      This is what you can read at the Forced Exposure site:

      Long awaited historic first issue of recordings from this early 60s
      avant-garde festival. Elgantly packaged in 5 slimline CDs within a
      sturdy box, with a 138 page book of notes and photos. Over the top
      presentation. "Music From The ONCE Festival 1961-1966: Robert
      Ashley, George Cacioppo, Gordon Mumma, Roger Reynolds, Donald
      Scavarda, David Behrman, George Crevoshay, Philip Krumm, Pauline
      Oliveros, Robert Sheff, Bruce Wise. Ann Arbor, Michigan, seems an
      unlikely site for the establishment of a major avant-garde festival
      that would shake the new-music community. Tucked away in America's
      heartland, the city is equally removed from the Eastern metropolises
      whose artists pride themselves on sensing the pulse of the times,
      and from the nonconformist West Coast. Yet during the 1960s Ann
      Arbor played host to one of the most extraordinary adventures in
      American music history: the annual ONCE Festival and its nexus of
      related activities. The primary aim of ONCE's founders -- Robert
      Ashley, Gordon Mumma, George Cacioppo, Roger Reynolds, and Donald
      Scavarda -- was to create a forum for the presentation of cutting-
      edge music. To this end they were phenomenally successful.
      Performers and composers -- whether little-known or renowned --
      embraced the endeavor, demanding almost nothing in return. Perhaps
      most important, however, ONCE acted as a creative stimulus for its
      organizers. Scavarda describes the adventure as an explosion of pent-
      up energy: 'Suddenly we could write anything we wanted and have it
      heard.' And they did. The ONCE composers -- and many guest artists --
      wrote a host of new works, some experimental, others more
      traditional. What united the ONCE composers was their exploration of
      sound, whether through the medium of extended techniques on
      traditional instruments, electronic (or electronically modified)
      timbres, or the intersection of musical sounds with those of the
      environment. A major slice of ONCE's rich musical legacy -- 35 works
      constituting six hours of music -- is presented here, almost all for
      the first time. These pieces are as diverse in style as they are
      compelling in expression. This landmark set, the most comprehensive
      document ever released of this legendary event, is an opportunity
      for anyone interested in contemporary music to hear history in the
      making. Included in the set is a 140-page booklet with a lengthy
      scholarly essay by musicologist and biographer Leta Miller and
      numerous rare photos of ONCE personages and performances."

      If you are into this kind of music get a copy before it run out...