Contrition and Repentance

  • StoOdin101@aol.com
    Message 1 of 8 , Apr 1 4:38 AM
      I heard a bit of the Ensemble Modern's recent Zappa disc, GREGGARY PECCARY
      AND OTHER PERSUASIONS, and although I have NEVER liked anything I ever heard by
      FZ, this one was entrancing, really delightful. So maybe the guy did have the
      real stuff, but I've just never found it. (There's a Bill O'Reilly-style
      weaseling apology for you!) I'm ordering it and the new Subotnick re-release
      (SIDEWINDER and UNTIL SPRING on Mode) just as soon as some bucks come my way...

    • Meidad Zaharia
      Message 2 of 8 , Apr 1 5:02 AM

        You wrote:

        "and although I have NEVER liked anything I ever heard by FZ"

        How come?
        The man made so many styles? Did you hear his entire catalog before you
        wrote this? :)

        Meidad

      • StoOdin101@aol.com
        Message 3 of 8 , Apr 1 6:03 AM
          In a message dated 4/1/2004 8:02:18 AM Eastern Standard Time, meidad@... writes:

          > Did you hear his entire catalog before you
          > wrote this? :)

          .
          .
          .
          who can do that?! Too much material. I have heard Burnt Weeny Sandwich, Weasels Ripped My Flesh, Mystery Disc (which I borrowed to discover that Beefheart read a comic book I OWN as lyrics - well, I don't own the copy he read or anything,but that was sure a weird discovery), The Perfect Stranger, Orchestral Favorites, Waka/Jawaka and a couple of others. This Ensemble Modern disc is the first one that grabbed me...a piece titled NIGHT SCHOOL (?). And I may get it to find it disastrous, but I'm willing to give FZ Yet Another Chance. There are certainly enough bands I DO like that list him as an influence, so there must be SOMETHING there somewhere...

          "There's nothing to be afraid of, honey; it's only SCIENCE FICTION!"
        • nosebone622
          Message 4 of 8 , Apr 1 6:38 AM
            This Ensemble Modern disc is the first one that grabbed me...a piece
            titled NIGHT SCHOOL (?). And I may get it to find it disastrous, but
            I'm willing to give FZ Yet Another Chance. There are certainly enough
            bands I DO like that list him as an influence, so there must be
            SOMETHING there somewhere...

            >>>Duh!<<<
          • Meidad Zaharia
            Message 5 of 8 , Apr 1 7:22 AM
              > who can do that?! Too much material. I have heard Burnt Weeny Sandwich, Weasels Ripped My Flesh,
              > Mystery Disc (which I borrowed to discover that Beefheart read a comic book I OWN as lyrics -
              > well, I don't own the copy he read or anything,but that was sure a weird discovery), The Perfect
              > Stranger, Orchestral Favorites, Waka/Jawaka and a couple of others. This Ensemble Modern disc is
              > the first one that grabbed me...a piece titled NIGHT SCHOOL (?). And I may get it to find it
              > disastrous, but I'm willing to give FZ Yet Another Chance. There are certainly enough bands I DO
              > like that list him as an influence, so there must be SOMETHING there somewhere...

              Now that's the spirit!!!

              Write those albums names down and check them if you can:

              More into PSYCH & Contemporary avantgarde:
              Freak Out! 1966
              Absolutely Free 1967
              Ahead Of Their Time 1968
              Lumpy Gravy 1968
              We're Only In It For The Money 1968

              more into Rock and fusion/prog:
              Hot Rats 1969
              Burnt Weeny Sandwich 1970
              Chunga's Revenge 1970
              Weasels Ripped My Flesh 1970
              Grand Wazoo 1972
              Waka/Jawaka 1972
              One Size Fits All 1975
              Zoot Allures 1976

              His BEST MASTERPIECE IMHO:
              Uncle Meat 1969

              Other great ones:
              200 Motels 1971
              Playdround Psychotics 1971
              Just Another Band From L.A 1972
              Roxy & Elsewhere 1974
              Studio Tan 1978
              Orchestral Favorites 1979
              Sleep Dirt 1979
              The Man From Utopia 1983
              Boulez Conducts Zappa 1984
              London Symphony Orchestra 1987
              The Yellow Shark 1993
              The Lost Episodes 1996
              Mystery Disc 1998
              Lather 1977-79

              Meidad

            • rcarlberg@aol.com
              Message 6 of 8 , Apr 1 7:30 AM
                In a message dated 4/1/2004 7:25:50 AM Pacific Standard Time,
                meidad@... writes:

                > Mystery Disc (which I borrowed to discover that Beefheart read a comic book
                > I OWN as lyrics -

                What scares me is not that an adult owns comic books, so much as the fact
                that you recognized the lyrics as from a comic book you owned.

              • Michael Anton Parker
                Message 7 of 8 , Apr 1 9:43 AM
                  @@@@@@@@@@ stoodin:
                  > who can do that?! Too much material. I have heard Burnt Weeny
                  Sandwich, Weasels Ripped My Flesh, Mystery Disc (which I borrowed to
                  discover that Beefheart read a comic book I OWN as lyrics - well, I
                  don't own the copy he read or anything,but that was sure a weird
                  discovery), The Perfect Stranger, Orchestral Favorites, Waka/Jawaka
                  and a couple of others. This Ensemble Modern disc is the first one
                  that grabbed me...a piece titled NIGHT SCHOOL (?). And I may get it
                  to find it disastrous, but I'm willing to give FZ Yet Another Chance.
                  There are certainly enough bands I DO like that list him as an
                  influence, so there must be SOMETHING there somewhere...
                  @@@@@@@@@

                  Hmm, so you heard Waka/Jawaka but it didn't grab you?

                  For me, over the years I've heard a good smattering of FZ here and
                  there, and liked most it, and loved some of it, but never became a
                  real devotee, and I guess I'm still too wrapped up in other musical
                  passions, but finally a few years ago I checked out Waka/Jawaka after
                  having an overwhelming curiosity from reading Steve's Wayside blurb
                  on Tipographica so many times, where he refers to it. Being so
                  obsessively devoted to Tipo, I had to finally hear it... and it was
                  awesome!! Well, especially that long piece... And as usual Steve
                  was dead-on... So for me this is a very important and exciting album
                  as a footnote to the Tipo legacy... (Not nearly as exciting as
                  Massacre's "Killing Time" of course, an equally big influence on
                  Tipo...) Of course it's not even in the same league as Tipo, but
                  even 1/1000 the brilliance of Tipo is still blinding! Actually, I
                  guess FZ is to Tipo like a caveman banging on rocks is to Zakir
                  Hussain... It had to start somewhere...

                  But when I see Meidad say Uncle Meat is the ultimate FZ, it reminds
                  me that Bruce at DMG, who also really knows his shit, says the same
                  thing--that this is practically "all you need" for FZ... To be
                  honest, I've had Uncle Meat for many years but I can't share these
                  sentiments even if it has incredible moments... To me it's like
                  eating quail--without a doubt what little meat you get is
                  extraordinarily delicious, but it's a pretty skinny bird... (with a
                  whole extra disc of feathers...) And there are so many plump geese
                  out there to feast on instead...

                  Mike Parker
                  SE Pennsylvania

                  np: Fantomas s/t

                  The best way to predict the future is to invent it. --Alan Kay
                • StoOdin101@aol.com
                  Message 8 of 8 , Apr 1 8:57 PM
                    In a message dated 4/1/2004 10:32:33 AM Eastern Standard Time,
                    rcarlberg@... writes:
                    What scares me is not that an adult owns comic books, so much as the fact
                    that you recognized the lyrics as from a comic book you owned.
                    .
                    .
                    .
                    I'm obsessed with comics, as the first one I ever bought (DC SHOWCASE #39:
                    "The Deathless Doom") introduced me simultaneously to the comic book art form,
                    to robots, monsters, superheroes, science fiction and fantasy -- as well as
                    traumatizing me for weeks. (I was only 6 at the time) The comic Beefheart is
                    reading from (at random) on "Metal Man Has Got His Wings" is Metal Men #7, "The
                    Living Gun".
                    Here it is! (if this link works)
                    http://ksacomics.com/metal/7.htm

                    About the only thing the comics DIDN'T teach me was how to put a twelve tone
                    row in retrograde. And other things have taken care of that deficiency.

                    np: Igor Stravinsky - Le Sacre du Printemps, etc.