Re: new to list

  • Fastian@xxx.xxx
    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 31, 1999
      Hey everyone. Been on the list about a week. It seems I'm the third on
      the list that saw the Pip Pyle show in SF. It was incredible, beyond what I
      was hoping for and I was pleasantly suprised. I guess 20% of the audience is
      on this list. The bass player was getting into these really complex grooves,
      adding all these great lines in the middle of his patterns, and being very
      physical. The keyboardist was on crutches from some accident in Tijuana, and
      added very inventive sounds and great solos. No proggy prog sounding synth
      work. She also was a beautiful sounding vocalist although most of her vocals
      were treated. I don't think it was mentioned they just finished recording a
      record for Voiceprint.
      People were mentioning Bratko Bibic and what he was up to. He was in the
      band Accordian Tribe with Lars Hollmer,Guy Klucevsik, and a couple others on
      Intuition. Thats a very worthwhile cd with lots of Hollmer tunes. I really
      liked the Begnagrad record,Quatebriga also, and was lucky enough to find the
      Begnagrad cd used so I could get another copy.
      One last thing, does anyone know what Ut Jsme Doma sound like? I hope I
      got the name right, but they're playing at the Bottom of the Hill as part of
      the national tour. They're playing with at least 2 local bands so it will
      mean a late start time for them. Not too much fun if you have to drive an
      hour home and then get up at 5 in the morning to work 10 hours. I missed
      Plastic People who played there for that reason. It would be worth it if
      they are very worthwhile however.
      This a great list. I don't have to slog through Spock's Beard, Glass
      Hammer, or the debate over who was the best UK drummer to gather a few crumbs
      of interest. Cheers.
      John Threadgould fastian@...
    • StoOdin101@xxx.xxx
      Message 2 of 3 , Nov 1, 1999
        In a message dated 11/1/99 2:37:11 AM Eastern Standard Time, Fastian@...
        writes:

        << One last thing, does anyone know what Ut Jsme Doma sound like? >>

        Uz Jsme Doma. Put your early Etron Fou records on the turntable, but play
        them at 78 instead of 33. Sorta punky sax, bass, drums band, but punky only
        in the sense of the aggression level. The music is tight, complex, in
        strange time signatures and very, very fast. Not much improvisation.
        Politico-socio-weirdo lyrics, like many other RIOish bands. I think they're
        great.
      • mark jung
        Message 3 of 3 , Nov 1, 1999
          > One last thing, does anyone know what Ut Jsme Doma sound like? I hope
          >I got the name right, but they're playing at the Bottom of the Hill as part
          >of the national tour.

          go see. caught their show last wednesday in minneapolis (they play here
          like every six months or so, for some reason). small crowd, i don't think
          much of the audience knew what to expect, but i've never seen an audience
          paying such close attention to what was going on onstage. their sound has
          gotten harder and more aggressive of late; lots of stops/starts, changes of
          tempos, yelled vocals. pretty interesting group. was five pieces, i think,
          this time - their "signature" is the bleating stuccato sax. they've become
          kind of avant-punk, and yes, their new disk ("ears") is as good as any of
          their old ones. i couldn't afford to pick up their soundtrack as well, so if
          any of this group gets to see them before they go home, i'll reimbuse you
          for a copy of their soundtrack disk...

          mark