Messiaen revisited

  • prog_ram000
    Message 1 of 6 , Dec 30, 2003
      I have recently purchased Messiaen's Quartet for the End of Time,
      based on discussions on this group and am enjoying it quite a lot.

      So, I thought I'd ask for more opinions.
      I'm considering getting
      La transfiguration de Notre-Seigneur Jésus-Christ

      2002 Universal - Conductor : Myung-Whun Chung
      Performers : Robert Fontaine, Thomas Prevost, et al.

      And
      Vingt Regards sur l'Enfant-Jésus
      2000 Elektra/Asylum - Performer : Pierre-Laurent Aimard

      Can somebody provide any opinions on these?

      Thanks,

      Rick Meyer
    • Frankie Camiola
      Message 2 of 6 , Dec 30, 2003
        >I have recently purchased Messiaen's Quartet for the End of Time,
        based on discussions on this group and am enjoying it quite a lot.

        So, I thought I'd ask for more opinions.
        I'm considering getting
        La transfiguration de Notre-Seigneur Jésus-Christ

        2002 Universal - Conductor : Myung-Whun Chung
        Performers : Robert Fontaine, Thomas Prevost, et al.

        And
        Vingt Regards sur l'Enfant-Jésus
        2000 Elektra/Asylum - Performer : Pierre-Laurent Aimard

        Can somebody provide any opinions on these?

        Thanks,

        Rick Meyer
        Rick -

        Yes, the Quartet is wonderful and my personal favorite Messiaen piece. The Vingt Regards with Aimard is also incredible IMO. It is the only version of this piece that I have ever heard, but it is hard to imagine a better performance or sonics. This piece is spread over two CD's and musically runs the gamut from the ethereal to the insane to the sublime. Aimard seems to be *THE* man these days when it comes to the 20th century piano stuff. In all honesty I have only listened to Le Transfiguration once so far, but it didn't strike a chord in me like the aforementioned pieces did, but it is the type of massive work that requires multiple listens to begin to absorb the intricate details. It is time for another listen sooner than later. The recording itself (DG, I believe) is fantastic.

        Messiaen is another one of the handful of composers that I have recently discovered that is truly special IMO. He goes way beyond just writing complex music for the sake of being avant garde; his music really touches the listener and come from the heart. He must have been a very passionate person.

        Frankie

      • Tim Walters
        Message 3 of 6 , Dec 30, 2003
          prog_ram000 wrote:

          > La transfiguration de Notre-Seigneur Jésus-Christ
          >
          > 2002 Universal - Conductor : Myung-Whun Chung
          > Performers : Robert Fontaine, Thomas Prevost, et al.

          I don't know this one...

          > Vingt Regards sur l'Enfant-Jésus
          > 2000 Elektra/Asylum - Performer : Pierre-Laurent Aimard

          This is a superb piece, but I lean more toward his work for larger
          ensembles, because part of what I love about Messiaen is his amazing use
          of tone color. My favorites in this regard are Et Exspecto Resurrectionem
          Mortuorem, Trois Petite Liturgies de la Presence Divine, and the
          Turangalila-Symphonie.

          But as far as I know you really can't go wrong with Messiaen. I've
          mentioned this before, but there's an excellent DVD of him playing the
          organ, along with a very nice performance of the Quartet, that you can
          rent from Netflix.

          --
          THE DOUBTFUL PALACE
          Free exquisite music
          Message 4 of 6 , Dec 30, 2003
            In a message dated 12/30/2003 4:15:48 PM Eastern Standard Time,
            rmeyer@... writes:
            I have recently purchased Messiaen's Quartet for the End of Time,
            based on discussions on this group and am enjoying it quite a lot.

            So, I thought I'd ask for more opinions.
            I'm considering getting
            La transfiguration de Notre-Seigneur Jésus-Christ

            2002 Universal - Conductor : Myung-Whun Chung
            Performers : Robert Fontaine, Thomas Prevost, et al.

            And
            Vingt Regards sur l'Enfant-Jésus
            2000 Elektra/Asylum - Performer : Pierre-Laurent Aimard

            Can somebody provide any opinions on these?
            Both superlative...but I'd go for Chung's performance of the
            TURANGALILA-SYMPHONIE before checking out either of those.

          • Marc Adler
            Message 5 of 6 , Jan 2, 2004
              Re: Discovering 20th Century Composers

              There are so many good and interesting classical composers out there.
              Here are a few ways that I use to find new composers who I may be
              interested in:

              1) Soulseek. This is a file-sharing client and peer-to-peer network,
              much like the old Napster or Kazaa. However,it tends to specialize in
              new music. I know that a bunch of people on this list are members of
              Soulseek. I think that finding modern classical composers is a prime
              example of the benefits of a file sharing network.

              There are many people up on SS who have modern classical files. Many
              times, if I like a piece or two that I download from a certain
              composer, I go to Berkshire Record Outlet or Amazon to pick up a few
              CDs by that composers. Such was the case for Icelandic composer Jon
              Leifs, who writes very noisy and bombastic music that evokes images
              of the wild Icelandic terrain.

              2) BBC Hear and Now (and other radio programs). The BBC 3 radio
              station webcasts a 2 hour program of new music on Saturday nights.
              They keep the webcast around for a week so that you can listen to it
              on demand. The Canadian Broadcasting System has a similar program
              called Two New Hours, where you can usually hear the amazing Espirit
              Orchestra performing modern works (although with a bias towards
              Canadian composers).

              3) Mailing lists. Try the C20M Yahoo group. Try the MSN group at
              http://groups.msn.com/ClassicalMP3. Try the
              rec.music.classical.contemporary newsgroup. You can read the text-
              only newsgroups through Google Groups.

              Hope this helps,

              Marc
            • eint0n
              Message 6 of 6 , Jan 3, 2004
                --- In avant-progressive@yahoogroups.com, "prog_ram000" <rmeyer@b...>
                wrote:
                > La transfiguration de Notre-Seigneur Jésus-Christ
                >
                > 2002 Universal - Conductor : Myung-Whun Chung
                > Performers : Robert Fontaine, Thomas Prevost, et
                al.

                "La transfiguration" is definitively my favourite work of Messiaen.
                I´ve got an older recording of it, with the National Symphony
                Orchestra of Washington D.C.. I regret it very much that this music
                can be heard live extemely rarely - I haven´t heard it live yet.
                It´s a great and very colourfully written choir and orchestral work,
                featuring often the percussion section of the orchestra with
                instruments like gongs, bells, marimba, vibes, which is typical for
                Messiaen. Sound examples may be heard at amazon.com (or amazon.fr) or
                alphamusic - or in a good record store, this might be better than
                further work descriptions.

                An orchestral, only instrumental work I like also very much is
                called "Des canyons aux étoiles", which has got a similar character.