4297Urban Sax

  • The Lighthouse Keeper
    Jun 4, 2002
      At 02:11 AM 6/3/2002 +0000, you wrote:
      >Considering it's the only recording easily available, what do you all
      >think of the Quad Sax recording in comparison to Urban Sax?

      Quad Sax: It's a pretty lean lineup, and certainly lacks some of the depth
      and intensity of the full lineup, but it's damn good for what it is, and
      I'd buy it again in a nanosecond.

      Urban sax stuff is not too hard to find used copies of in good record
      stores; I've seen copies of Fraction Sur Le Temps (LP) and Spiral (CD) in
      Amoeba records in berkeley earlier this year.

      For my ears, Spiral is their most fleshed out album and illustrates what
      they are capable of, but I'll agree that those earlier once have a very
      ambient charm, sort of like an acoustic answer to early tangerine dream or
      other spacy electronic works.

      If you can finf it, there is a disc that only comes with a photo-book about
      the band, titled "To The Happy Few", it's after Spiral, like mid-90's, and
      quite good too. Also, there is an EP (like 22 minutes) of Urban Sax playing
      with a Gamelan orchestra in Jakarta Indonesia, just amazing stuff. Came out
      around the same time, give or take a year.