26023Magma, New Yossi Sassi, Soft Machine, Mahavishnu Orchestra, Cheer-Accident

  • Ian Beabout
    Jun 12, 2014
      Hello everyone! On this week's Deep Cuts (6/12), I've got lots of good stuff picked out for you!

      First up, I'll be featuring the new record by Israeli guitarist Yossi Sassi entitled Desert Butterflies.  The record fuses Eastern folk modes with hard rock and features a guitar tone reminiscent of Jethro Tull's Martin Barre.

      Also on this week's program, I'll be dipping Into the Vinyl Vein with Magma's seminal Zeuhl masterpiece Kohntarkosz. Into the Vinyl Vein is a Deep Cuts feature which spotlights a classic vinyl LP.  The album, released in 1975, features the Zeuhl trademark of repetitive bass and drum lines mixed with operatic vocals that slowly build to thrilling climaxes.

      You can also expect some music from Jan Dukes de Grey, a 1970s psych-folk who released a tragically underrated progressive rock album entitled Mice and Rats in the Loft.  The album, released in 1971, combines the folky leanings of Fairport Convention and Pentangle, with more sinister psychedelic overtones, evoking the music of Comus.  Vivid songwriting combined with progressive rock structures and instrumentation such as flutes, trumpets, and searing electric guitar make for an exciting ride like none other.

      Additionally, I will be playing some music from Soft Machine, most notably the jazz infused Third record, as well as classic music from Mahavishnu Orchestra and space rock pioneers Hawkwind.  I'll top it off with some tracks from echolyn, live Änglagård, Cheer-Accident, Sonar and more!

      Specializing in rare cuts by classic and modern bands, Prog Rock Deep Cuts is a forward thinking, live radio show that promises to match the obscure with the new and fresh. Intelligent, emotional, and visceral classic to modern progressive rock broadcasted live every Thursday from 7-10 pm EST on www.progrock.com.

      Stream live here: http://www.streamlicensing.com/play/player.php?sid=1855&stream_id=3143

      Chat link: http://www.progrock.com/chat.htm

      Stream Last Week's Show Here: http://www.mixcloud.com/progrockdeepcuts/prog-rock-deep-cuts-38/

      4-7 pm - US West Timezone (California)
      5-8 pm - US Mountain (Colorado)
      6-9 pm - US Central Standard
      7-10 pm - US Eastern Timezone (NYC, Florida)
      10 pm - 1 pm - Brazil
      11 pm - 2 am - UK
      1 am - 5 am - France, Italy, Netherlands, Egypt
      8 am - 12 am - Japan, Korea

      If you represent a band and are interested in submitting your music for consideration, please send a press kit to:
      Prog Rock Deep Cuts with Ian Beabout
      PO Box 6120
      Wheeling WV, 26003

      Like us on Facebook: www.facebook.com/ProgRockDeepCuts