25911Re: [avant-progressive] Goblin ( believe it or not this is not robospam)

  • Joseph Paradiso
    Oct 18, 2013
      I went to the gig in Boston last week.  Secret Chiefs open for Goblin.  Secret Chiefs were actually quite good, especially the Middle-Eastern rock rants they played.  Goblin are a legend and if you're into Italian Prog, you need to see them at least once.  That said, they played way too loud - it became hard to hear them, and my earplugs didn't help too much at the Sinclair in Cambridge.  Their chops were decent, but Claudio messed up his minimoog lines once or twice - it was early in the tour and he probably was a bit out of spec - guitarist was great (and I think it was the original player).  The attitude of the band was great - they were often joking with the audience and totally congenial.  Behind them were projected the goriest moments of Argento's movies (corresponding to the track that the band were playing at the time) - and to be honest, I have a strong stomach and can enjoy an Argento film (Susperia is a masterpiece of sorts), but this was too much and distracted from the (already too loud) music.  So I'm glad I saw them, but looking at the live in Japan DVD they sold was a better musical experience - you can hear the music clearly, and there's no projected gore to distract.  Their Tour EP has some nice re-recordings of their classic soundtrack pieces too.  When they come back in a couple of months, I'm not sure that Claudio will be with them, but as they will tour with Zombi, it will be totally worthwhile, as Zombi's material just keeps getting stronger.  And hopefully Goblin will turn down a bit!  -Joe-

      On Oct 18, 2013, at 4:00 PM, Ben Wolfson wrote:

      I'm pretty sure SC3 are opening for Goblin.

      On Fri, Oct 18, 2013 at 12:52 PM, fastianed <fastian@...> wrote:
        Hello all that is still around,
        I see that the Italian band Goblin is in the middle of a US tour and playing SF in a couple of days with Secret Chiefs 3.  They've been getting a fair amount of press lately considering and I even heard them on the radio the other day (KALX).  I even dug out Profondo Rosso for a listen.  Pretty short, barely 30 minutes.
        Has anybody else seen them yet?  Are they worth shelling out 50 bucks for?  I think they're opening for Secret Chiefs 3 so they might not have been allotted much time to play.  Any insight or opinions welcome,
                                                            JT

      Now Playing: Parade
      By: John Oswald
      From: CMCD