25319Re: Univers Zero, Magma, Pinhas-Merzbow, more @ Sonic Circuits, Washington, DC 9/18-9/25

  • fastianed
    Jun 10, 2010
      Hey all,
      I guess you know a newsgroup is is on life support when Steve announces Magma and Univers Zero are playing in the US at the same fest and all you get for 10 days are spammers. Especially since this is almost a Magma newsgroup. I probably won't be able to go since I'm spending all my money in a couple of weeks at the Vancouver Jazz Fest w/ Globe Unity, Michael Moore, etc. I'd like to know if anyone has anything to say about the lesser known bands listed in Steve's post that I'm mostly unfamiliar with. Cheers,
      John T

      --- In avant-progressive@yahoogroups.com, Cuneiform / Wayside <CuneiWay@...> wrote:

      > Sonic Circuits Festival
      > September 18-25, 2010
      > Washington DC
      >
      > Washington DC's premiere music festival returns for another
      > exhilarating blast of avant music to challenge, provoke, inspire and
      > delight DC area audiences. The tenth edition of Sonic Circuits will
      > offer up the best in improv, avant rock, electronica, noise, and
      > contemporary composition from around the globe. Our 10th anniversary
      > deserves special celebration, and thus this year Sonic Circuits will
      > shine a spotlight on the Francophone world to reveal some of the most
      > creative and innovative contributions in contemporary music
      > (including new musical genres that erase the classical-popular
      > divide) and to present an astonishing number of avant-garde music's
      > most legendary artists to Washington DC audiences for the very first
      > time. 2010 will also see the third installment of the popular
      > District of Noise CD compilations featuring music by DC area
      > experimental artists with a bonus LP of 100 lock grooves. We hope
      > you'll join us for what will be an amazing week of musical discovery!
      >

      > Magma (France)
      > Led by composer/drummer Christian Vander, the French band Magma is
      > one of the world's greatest avant rock bands, its music as unique and
      > as significant as such American groups as Captain Beefheart Magic
      > Band or the Sun Ra Arkhestra. Active for over 4 decades, it has
      > released many works widely considered to be among the chief works
      > avant-garde rock. Beginning in the late 1960s/early 70s, Magma
      > combined rock music with opera/classical music, jazz, and elements of
      > trance, Ju Ju and Soul, to create a new, strikingly original musical
      > genre called "Zeuhl". Under the leadership of visionary Vander, Magma
      > operated in a univers of its own making. The band sang vocals in its
      > own, made-up language, called Kobaian, which was simultaneously
      > incomprehensible and universally accessible. Dark, forbidding,
      > powerful, Magma's music is intense, with wave upon wave of carefully
      > built tension and release. It is also timeless, universal, and
      > globally influential. Other Francophone bands followed Magma's lead
      > in distilling musical genres in the'70s, to create the new genre
      > Chamber Rock. In the 1990s, the Japanese band Ruins popularized Zeuhl
      > among a new generation, invigorating it with a punk edge and kicking
      > off a massive world-wide revival. Much of today's cutting-edge rock
      > music is indebted to the French group and its zeuhl. But while other
      > groups today may resemble Magma, Magma does not resemble any other
      > group. Its live performances are legendary; Magma's first-ever
      > Washington DC appearance is a show not to be missed.
      >

      > Univers Zero (Belgium)
      > The francophone Belgian band Univers Zero is legendary for their
      > uncompromising musical vision - a sound and stance Keyboard described
      > as "Chamber music for the Apocalypse". Simultaneously medieval &
> [...]
    • Show all 3 messages in this topic