24639Re: Review: Guigou Chenevier - "Pieces musicales avec vue"

  • fastianed
    Mar 1, 2009
      Hey all,
      I really like this cd and find it very accessible. Even my wife
      really likes it. Its not Volapuk but that's not necessarily a bad
      thing. There are some crazy weird sounds here and there but usually
      on top of a fabric of very rhythmic and well thought out pieces.
      Very creative and engaging cd. If you like Guigou, you'll want this!
      John T

      StoOdin101@... wrote:

      > Don't buy this expecting the second coming of Volapuk.?Some pieces
      happily reflect the melodic and rhythmic vibrancy of that band, but
      others are very ominous, tuneless,ambient material which wouldn't be
      out of place on "Ummagumma" or "Suspiria:" filtered white noise,
      bloodcurdling screams and gibberish, a microphone being scraped on a
      blackboard, all superimposed on Stockhausenesque percussive taps,
      clicks and rumbles. Even a nod to Einsturzende Neubauten in a brief
      duet of percussion and circular saw. Like many soundtracks, it loses?
      impact divorced from the theatre it was composed to accompany. A good
      album of its kind, but I still prefer "Rumours of the City" and the
      Volapuk discs.

      > 3 1/2 stars out of 5.
      >
      > ..
      > ..
      > ..
      > ..
      > ..
      > ..
      > ..
      > "Whenever we hear sound we are changed, we are no longer the same,
      and this is even more the case when we hear organised sound - music.
      > New means change the method - new methods change the experience -
      new experiences change man." -- Karlheinz Stockhausen