24488Re: Good bye Lars...

  • zeuhlmate
    Jan 5, 2009
      It works fine, but in any case - the text:

      It is with some sadness that I pass on the news of the passing of Lars
      Hollmer, a long time friend of RootsWorld, and a regular contributor
      to our past Free Reed Festivals. Listen to Lars' contribution to one
      of our festivals, including a little talk about his piece "Sudaf".
      So, Lars, "this is it, OK. Have a good time. Goodbye." - CF

      Fellow musician Guy Klucevsek sends this tribute to his friend and
      fellow accordionist/musician.

      My dear friend and Accordion Tribe colleague, Lars Hollmer, passed
      away on Dec. 25, 2008, at the age of 60.

      I first heard Lars's music in the early 90s, through singer-songwriter
      and DJ extraordinaire, David Garland. I instantly recognized a kindred
      spirit and he was the first person I invited to be a part of what
      eventually became the Accordion Tribe. We began the group in 1996 and
      continue to this day, although there will be a gaping void on stage
      and in our hearts from now on.

      Lars was an auto-didact and multi-instrumentalist (accordion,
      keyboards, voice, melodica, etc.) who was completely fearless in his
      approach to music. He could be unabashedly sentimental (Boeves Psalm,
      Soon Song), write incredibly dense and complex counterpoint with the
      best of them (Pas de Valse, Utflykt med Damcyckle), and be mischievous
      and joyfully wacked-out (Circus I, II). And that's only the Accordion
      Tribe repertoire! He managed to record about 30 albums in all, mostly
      in his legendary home studio, the Chickenhouse, both solo (11), and
      with his many groups, including The Looping Home Orchestra and Samla
      Mammas Manna.

      What is the common element in all these? To quote Lars from the
      documentary film, "Accordion Tribe: Music Travels" (Stefan Schwietert,
      Maximage Films, 2002), "It all begins here," (he says, pointing to his
      heart); "it may go through here eventually," (he points to his head),
      "but it all begins with the heart." - Guy Klucevsek

      --- In avant-progressive@yahoogroups.com, Cuneiform / Wayside
      <CuneiWay@...> wrote:

      > Was anyone able to get the link in the obituary to work?
      >

      > On Jan 3, 2009, at 5:22 AM, alanterrill wrote:
      >
      > > Here's a nice little orbituary from RootsWorld:
      > >
      > > http://rootsworld-news.blogspot.com/2008/12/this-is-it-ok-have-good-
      > > time-goodbye.html
      > >
      > > Alan

    • Show all 13 messages in this topic