21654Re: Is it okay to not care for/understand some music?

  • palcontented1
    Nov 2, 2006
      --- In avant-progressive@yahoogroups.com, "Brian K" <brian011879@...>
      wrote:
      BAG, the Black Artist's Group, Oliver Lake and folk like that began in
      St. Louis. I don't know if any of the principals still reside there.
      Bassist Darin Gray lives there I believe, should you ever get the
      chance to see his duo with Glenn Kotche, On Fillmore, they're quite
      interesting and very accessible. If I lived in your neck of the woods,
      I'd plan for weekends in Chicago coordinated with the interesting
      artists who come through there. I'd bet though that St. Louis has some
      kind of scene, maybe not in mainstream venues, but lofts, galleries or
      small clubs.

      Lenny

      > Hi Steve,
      >
      > > I don't know where you live, but I might recommend trying to SEE some
      > free
      > > improvisational music; for me (and for some - not all - folks I know)
      > this music
      > > is a LIVE music experience. You can watch them feed off each other,
      > etc.
      > > etc. etc.
      >
      > I live in a suburb of St. Louis, MO--aka the 'armpit' of the
      > country,lol! As far as seeing any of any type the artists we talk about
      > on this list (from any genre or subgenre), or any kind of music related
      > to free-improvisation, one would be extremely hard-pressed to find any
      > kind of performance here. The people here seem too be mostly like die-
      > hard mainstream country music fans (Keith Urban and the likes).
      >
      > Coincidentally, I mentioned this same thing to Michael Clare (of UofE)
      > from WR, offline a month or so ago, as he also asked the same question
      > about where I'm at, at the end of his e-mail. I thought he sounded
      > awfully depressed/frustrated about the hardship of finding audiences
      > and gigs for UofE; mentioned something about having some luck down in
      > Georgia. (I also used the 'armpit' reference too!).
      >
      > I can't remember word-for-word what I mentioned, but it applies here. I
      > told him that I felt St. Louis is sickeningly devoid of all the kinds
      > of musics we like and love. Not of a lot of musical imagination around
      > here at all really IMHO. There's Blues and Jazz here of course, but
      > no 'big names' that I'm aware of.
      >
      > It's only the mainstream rock and rap bands (some 'big names', some
      > not) that come here to perform, even in some of the smallest nooks and
      > crannies around here. If any of you have heard of St. Louis' Blueberry
      > Hill area, and places like the Pageant, Brian Auger was supposed to
      > come for a performance, but sadly cancelled. Darnit, I wanted to
      > hear "Happiness Is Just Around The Bend", lol!
      >
      > Just too sum it all up, I doubt we'll ever have anything great here in
      > St. Louis, like the stuff we all love and go for. No Progfests or
      > NEARfests, nor smaller venues here I'm afraid. Then again, there's DVDs!
      >
      > Take Care for now,
      > Brian

    • Show all 26 messages in this topic