21651Re: Is it okay to not care for/understand some music?

  • Brian K
    Nov 2, 2006
      Hi Gary,

      > I some respects I have to chuckle about this subject. When you
      think about
      > it, there's so much music available, so many different styles, so
      > different levels of talent that it's simply impossible to like it
      all. Even
      > if you're the wealthiest man in the world, you still wouldn't have
      the time
      > to listen to even one percent of what's available. So personal
      taste has
      > got to enter the equation somewhere!

      I agree with that 100%!

      > It's admirable that you have the intellectual curiosity to pursue
      > outside the boundaries of your personal tastes. Sometimes you will
      > rewarded, sometimes not. Sometimes your boundaries will be
      > sometimes not.

      Thank you very much for the compliment! I do hope my boundaries
      expand even more with time though as there's so much out there I
      would loveI think that with free-improv, it may be a hit-or-miss type
      of thing with a lot of people. My reason for thinking this is that I
      decided too listen to the free-improv Harry Miller/Radu Malfatti duo
      album "Bracknell Breakdown" (from the HM Collection box) this
      morning. I listened really hard to everything going on this time and
      really enjoyed it. It definitely wasn't on the top of my list before,
      but I think the "Coxhill On Ogun" primed me up for this album(!). I
      listened to the the entirety of both @20-minute pieces intensely, and
      before I knew it, it was over! I was in awe over this, because before
      I couldn't stand the album.

      Gary, Thanks again and it was nice talking to you again (it's been a
      while)over the phone!

      Take Care,
    • Show all 26 messages in this topic