21640Re: Is it okay to not care for/understand some music?

  • Brian K
    Nov 1, 2006
      --- In avant-progressive@yahoogroups.com, "zeuhlmate" <michael@...>
      wrote:

      > Its definetely okay :-)
      > Welcome in the club. There is lots of 'serious' music I dont get,
      > music which I personally experience like 'the emperors new clothes'
      or
      > just arty-farty - but since people I trust and like, keep telling me
      > there is 'something there' that I am missing out on, I give it a try
      > once and a while.
      > And sometimes I do get an Aha-experience. Often it has to do with
      the
      > circumstances whether it finds a shelf in my brain or stays outside.
      >
      > To pretend that one likes music that one actually dont, just to be a
      > member of the club, or to keep up appearances is just sad.
      >
      > Lets ruin our reputations now:
      > Whats the most embarracing/trivial/kitch album you have that you
      love,
      > and never would mention on this list ?
      > If I had a country-album and liked it, it would be my choice, since
      > really really dislike countrymusic... I have some cassettes with
      arab
      > & Indian pop. How about I like Iron Butterfly: In-a-gadda-da-vida !
      > I dont feel that it really qualifies, I can argue that its quite
      good
      > - I have to go home a check what I have...there must be something
      > awfull on my shelfs!

      Hi Zeuhlmate,

      Thanks for your response!

      > Its definetely okay :-)
      > Welcome in the club. There is lots of 'serious' music I dont get,
      > music which I personally experience like 'the emperors new clothes'
      or
      > just arty-farty - but since people I trust and like, keep telling me
      > there is 'something there' that I am missing out on, I give it a try
      > once and a while.
      > And sometimes I do get an Aha-experience. Often it has to do with
      the
      > circumstances whether it finds a shelf in my brain or stays outside.

      It's the same with me, I'm afraid I'll be missing out on something if
      I don't check out at least one or two CDs by someone. With some music
      like free-improvisation, it's just too hard for me too fathom; break
      it down and analyze what's going on without some kind
      of 'anchor'(good/bad term?).

      > To pretend that one likes music that one actually dont, just to be a
      > member of the club, or to keep up appearances is just sad.

      I definitely agree there. In my case, I just want to explore some
      different musical areas, and catch some good leads to some hopefully
      good-to-great music.

      > Lets ruin our reputations now:
      > Whats the most embarracing/trivial/kitch album you have that you
      love,
      > and never would mention on this list ?

      Well, I don't think I have much of any kind of reputation, lol! Same
      here with country music. Off the top of my head, I had "The Best of
      Glen Campell" on Capitol cassette, and darnit, I've been trying to
      find that tape for quite a while around my place here. Great country-
      crossover stuff!

      Thanks, and Take Care,
      Brian
    • Show all 26 messages in this topic