18929Re: Marcoeur

  • alanterrill
    Jan 18, 2006
      --- In avant-progressive@yahoogroups.com, "Frank Camiola"
      <fcamiola@h...> wrote:

      > I have just listened to Albert Marcoeur's first two albums today for
      the first time. In short, I absolutely LOVE this stuff!

      You've got a lot of albums to go through yet, but if you love the
      first two, you'll doubtless love all the others in due course.
      Although some are a bit less intense than others, he hasn't done a bad
      album yet - I'd say Sports st Percussions is his least essential, but
      it still has its moments. But definitely get 'Celui ou a Joseph' which
      I think is his masterpiece, and sounding even better in its CD edition.
      As to the 'fart', I don't know -I would imagine he's blowing a
      raspberry down a cardboard tube here. More interesting is the musical
      car horn section at the beginning of the second album. The story of
      this is on his website, but it's so good I'll post it here:

      "To record the car horns and the engines accelerating at the beginning
      of "Monsieur Lépousse", we had two solutions : either we recorded the
      sounds separately on a portable tape recorder and transferred them
      onto several tracks of two-inch tape, or we recorded everything at
      once, live. Everyone felt the second solution was less tedious and
      more fun.
      The five percussionists sat at the wheel of their instrument, parked
      in a semi-circle for the stereo effect, and rehearsed the car-horn
      bits, first silently, to spare the batteries…
      Mikes were placed near the engines and exhaust pipes and the five
      "vehiclists" started their instruments.
      As the sound of accelerating comes after one presses of the foot
      pedal, we had to anticipate the commands by a semi-quaver, in order to
      get the crescendos in the right places.
      After a while, we couldn't breathe and had to turn off the engines.
      Quick break. Quick cigarette!… Ignition and back to work.
      Today, we would have sampled all the sounds, we would have fed them in
      at the right times and places. We would have spared ourselves the
      fuming exhaustion and the exhaust fumes of engines that unfortunately
      had never heard of unleaded petrol or catalytic converters."

      Alan Terrill
    • Show all 21 messages in this topic