Falu Lusane

  • Stephen Rice
    Message 1 of 3 , May 30, 2010
      Lusane by Luis Sainz Lopez-Negrete (1974)

      Yet another worldlang of sorts...

      Alphabet:
      a b c d e f g k l m n o p s t u

      Normal pronunciation; <c> = /t_S/

      Syllables are CV, but the plural may introduce a final -s. Accent on penult.

      Nouns:
      Natural gender; m/n -o, f -a. These take the plural -s; if both
      genders are meant (Eo ge-oj), a special plural -i is used: fatelos
      (brothers), fatelas (sisters), fateli (gefratoj).

      Adjective:
      Ends in -e; invariable; precedes noun. Comparative/superlative
      suffixes -ke: bone good, boneke better/best. "Than" is te (= Sp que).

      Adverb:
      Adds -te to adjective

      Article:
      Le, invariant definite article.

      Personal Pronouns:
      1 go
      3 ko/ka/ke (m/f/n)

      Plural forms have -i: gi, ti, ki. Possessives add -be: gobe, tobe, ...

      Verbs:
      Infinitive/Imperative: -u (falu)
      Present: -a (fala)
      Past: -e (fale)
      Future: -i (fali)
      Conditional: -o
      Gerund: -uge (faluge, speaking)
      Past participle: -ute (falute, spoken)

      Perfects: tenu (have) + past participle
      Passives: sonu (be) + past participle

      Word order:
      Subject, verb, adverb, direct object, indirect object

      Le bele mutika pule lobikete le kime nuco fa fiku nu kabe domo.
      The beautiful girl jumped nimbly the high wall to arrive in her home.

      Beso de pome kunibese ligo

      Need of auxiliary universal language

      sona lugeke cade dito,

      is more-urgent each day,

      fe dune mitelos boneka be pida.

      when world communications improve and speed-up.

      Affixes:
      The author mentions affixes, but he doesn't list them, which is
      annoying. I've only discovered a few, primarily

      ni- = Eo ne-/mal-
      -em- = -er (agentive)
      -ed- = Eo -ar-?

      Overall assessment:
      The selection of forms is a bit arbitrary; he apparently picked
      whatever best fit his phonology and morphology. I think I could work
      out rules for extending the vocabulary. He included a moderate corpus
      (autobiographical note, introduction, grammatical explanation) that
      could elucidate the grammar somewhat.

      I like the look and feel of it, though it's not practical at this
      point to revive it. I wish he'd made better use of compounding and
      affixing.

      Steve
    • Risto Kupsala
      Message 2 of 3 , May 31, 2010
        Interesting. It is difficult to judge is it really a worldlang because I
        didn't recognize any non-Western words with certainty.

        > Alphabet:
        > a b c d e f g k l m n o p s t u
        >
        > Normal pronunciation; <c> = /t_S/

        Absence of h, r and z are understandable, but where are the semi-vowels?

        > Beso de pome kunibese ligo
        >
        > Need of auxiliary universal language
        >
        > sona lugeke cade dito,
        >
        > is more-urgent each day,
        >
        > fe dune mitelos boneka be pida.
        >
        > when world communications improve and speed-up.

        Here are my guesses of word origins:
        beso - French:besoin
        pome - Russian:pomogat'
        kunibese - modification of "universal"?
        ligo - modification of "lingua"
        sona - one of Romance verb conjugation
        lugeke - modification of urgent
        cade - probably should be "kade" from Spanish "cada"
        dito - modification of Spanish "dia"
        dune - maybe Arabic "dunia", but it could be derived from Spanish "mundo"
        mitelo - German "Mittel"
        boneka - Romance "bon"
        pida - modification of "rapid"

        So in this excerpt there is possibly one non-Western words.

        It would be interesting to see more texts.

        -- Risto
      • Stephen Rice
        Message 3 of 3 , May 31, 2010
          I think he combined words sometimes, so kunibese < common + universal,
          pid- < speed, rapid, and so on.

          Just looking through the dictionary,

          babono - superstition - Hungarian babona
          bafo - eruption - Mandarin bàofā ?
          batuko - stone - Indonesian batu?
          binato - animal - Indonesian/Malay binatang
          bofuse - antiseptic -Japanese bōfuzai
          bokeno - adventure - Japanese bōken
          bokuso - grass - I assume J kusa is involved...
          bolano - wave (undulation) - Ch bōlàng
          bugalo - bandit - Indo begal?
          bunimo - civilization - J bunmei?

          (I'm only giving forms I'm reasonably sure aren't IE; a lot of Russian there...)

          I'll try to type up some texts at some point.

          Steve