Amazon vs POD

  • steve rice
    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 1 11:48 AM
      This is a bit off topic, but I think it's relevant
      overall. Simply put, Amazon.com is telling
      print-on-demand publishers to use its own publishing
      service (BookSurge) or have the "buy now" button
      turned off for their books. Further details are
      available here:
      http://www.writersweekly.com/the_latest_from_angelahoycom/004597_03272008.html

      The reason this is relevant is that POD companies are
      the best hope for smaller auxlangs to get something
      published. Whenever I finish the Ido Bible (and at
      this rate, Dave MacLeod will finish the Bible before
      I'm done with Genesis), I will have put it online on a
      wiki (probably pbwiki) and opened it up for editing by
      actual Idists. I'll then take that work and put it on
      Lulu.com as a free download (no royalties), which will
      also make for a relatively cheap softcover book. I
      hope to do the same thing for Occ, Ia, and LFN.

      If Amazon continues its current path, it could harm
      the POD industry, which could make it harder for us to
      publish materials. I believe that LFN should already
      have a book out from lulu, and some are planning to
      produce one. Whenever Pandunia and kin are ready, POD
      will provide a sure and relatively cheap publication
      path.

      There is an online petition against Amazon's action
      here: http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/protectPOD/?e

      Thanks,
      Steve

    • li_sasxsek@NUTTER.NET
      Message 2 of 2 , Apr 5 9:29 AM
        > [mailto:AUXLANG@...] On Behalf Of steve rice

        > This is a bit off topic, but I think it's relevant
        > overall. Simply put, Amazon.com is telling
        > print-on-demand publishers to use its own publishing
        > service (BookSurge) or have the "buy now" button
        > turned off for their books. Further details are
        > available here:
        > http://www.writersweekly.com/the_latest_from_angelahoycom/0045
        > 97_03272008.html

        > If Amazon continues its current path, it could harm
        > the POD industry, which could make it harder for us to
        > publish materials. I believe that LFN should already
        > have a book out from lulu, and some are planning to
        > produce one. Whenever Pandunia and kin are ready, POD
        > will provide a sure and relatively cheap publication
        > path.
        >
        > There is an online petition against Amazon's action
        > here: http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/protectPOD/?e

        Signed! Another corporate bully trying to run the competition out
        of business to create a monopoly. I haven't purchased anything from
        Spamazon for a years, and their business practices are the main
        reason.

        I set up a Lulu account a long time ago with the intent of
        publishing Sasxsek materials there. Just waiting for the language
        to become stable enough to justify offering hardcopy versions.