[AutoTrace] Image routines

    Message 1 of 7 , Feb 1, 2000
      Are there other opinions whether to use parts of GIMP-1.1.15 or
      Imagemagick-5.1.1 or SDL for importing Images?
    • Bernhard Herzog
      Message 2 of 7 , Feb 1, 2000
        "Martin Weber" <martweb@...> writes:

        > Are there other opinions whether to use parts of GIMP-1.1.15 or
        > Imagemagick-5.1.1 or SDL for importing Images?

        Well, IMO it doesn't really matter what the stand-alone program
        autotrace uses to load images. It's more important to implement
        autotrace in such way that the vectorizing functionality can easily be
        used by other programs that already have ways to load images or write
        vector data.

        Therefore, I think autotrace should be implemented as a library
        containing the core functionality and a stand-alone program that uses
        that library plus some way to load images and a way to store the vector
        data returned by the library. The vector export functionality would also
        be a good candidate for a separate library.

        That way you can use the autotrace-library to implement a Gimp-plugin,
        which gets its images from Gimp and doesn't need any image loading code
        but perhaps the vector export lib. It would also be useful in vector
        drawing programs like Gyve or Sketch that also have their own image

        For this to work, the library would have to flexible enough to work with
        different image representations, ranging from simple ones that hold the
        entire image in one contiguous chunk of memory and more complex ones
        that may use several separate chunks (e.g. the Python Imaging Library)
        to complex ones like Gimp's that even handles images that don't fit into
        memory.

        Bernhard

        --
        Bernhard Herzog | Sketch, a drawing program for Unix
        herzog@... | http://sketch.sourceforge.net/