[AutoTrace] Re: Image routines

  • Jerronimo
    Message 1 of 7 , Jan 31, 2000
      On Sat, 29 Jan 2000, Martin Weber wrote:
      > I need routines for
      > - caching images
      > - displaying images
      > Is it better to take parts of GIMP-1.1.15 or Imagemagick-5.1.1 or is
      > there still a better way?

      Perhaps, or maybe you might want to look into the SDL graphics library.
      They're available for linux (X), Win32, Mac, etc... it's quite easy to
      use (it comes with some sample code, and there are plenty of examples on
      the website (an entire gzip of 'em)

      http://www.devolution.com/~slouken/SDL/

      -j

      --
      Scott "Jerry" Lawrence
      sdlpci@... San Andreas Fault: San Francisco Dumped
      Message 2 of 7 , Feb 1, 2000
        Are there other opinions whether to use parts of GIMP-1.1.15 or
        Imagemagick-5.1.1 or SDL for importing Images?
      • Bernhard Herzog
        Message 3 of 7 , Feb 1, 2000
          "Martin Weber" <martweb@...> writes:

          > Are there other opinions whether to use parts of GIMP-1.1.15 or
          > Imagemagick-5.1.1 or SDL for importing Images?

          Well, IMO it doesn't really matter what the stand-alone program
          autotrace uses to load images. It's more important to implement
          autotrace in such way that the vectorizing functionality can easily be
          used by other programs that already have ways to load images or write
          vector data.

          Therefore, I think autotrace should be implemented as a library
          containing the core functionality and a stand-alone program that uses
          that library plus some way to load images and a way to store the vector
          data returned by the library. The vector export functionality would also
          be a good candidate for a separate library.

          That way you can use the autotrace-library to implement a Gimp-plugin,
          which gets its images from Gimp and doesn't need any image loading code
          but perhaps the vector export lib. It would also be useful in vector
          drawing programs like Gyve or Sketch that also have their own image

          For this to work, the library would have to flexible enough to work with
          different image representations, ranging from simple ones that hold the
          entire image in one contiguous chunk of memory and more complex ones
          that may use several separate chunks (e.g. the Python Imaging Library)
          to complex ones like Gimp's that even handles images that don't fit into
          memory.

          Bernhard

          --
          Bernhard Herzog | Sketch, a drawing program for Unix
          herzog@... | http://sketch.sourceforge.net/