[AutoTrace] Re: Image routines

  • Taco Hoekwater
    Message 1 of 7 , Jan 31, 2000

      Martin> Is this still true with ImageMagick 5.1.1? Martin

      The logic is still dumb: if it doesnt fit in 80Mb, switch to disk
      completely.

      Taco
    • Jerronimo
      Message 2 of 7 , Jan 31, 2000
        On Sat, 29 Jan 2000, Martin Weber wrote:
        > I need routines for
        > - caching images
        > - displaying images
        > Is it better to take parts of GIMP-1.1.15 or Imagemagick-5.1.1 or is
        > there still a better way?

        Perhaps, or maybe you might want to look into the SDL graphics library.
        They're available for linux (X), Win32, Mac, etc... it's quite easy to
        use (it comes with some sample code, and there are plenty of examples on
        the website (an entire gzip of 'em)

        http://www.devolution.com/~slouken/SDL/

        -j

        --
        Scott "Jerry" Lawrence
        sdlpci@... San Andreas Fault: San Francisco Dumped
        Message 3 of 7 , Feb 1, 2000
          Are there other opinions whether to use parts of GIMP-1.1.15 or
          Imagemagick-5.1.1 or SDL for importing Images?
        • Bernhard Herzog
          Message 4 of 7 , Feb 1, 2000
            "Martin Weber" <martweb@...> writes:

            > Are there other opinions whether to use parts of GIMP-1.1.15 or
            > Imagemagick-5.1.1 or SDL for importing Images?

            Well, IMO it doesn't really matter what the stand-alone program
            autotrace uses to load images. It's more important to implement
            autotrace in such way that the vectorizing functionality can easily be
            used by other programs that already have ways to load images or write
            vector data.

            Therefore, I think autotrace should be implemented as a library
            containing the core functionality and a stand-alone program that uses
            that library plus some way to load images and a way to store the vector
            data returned by the library. The vector export functionality would also
            be a good candidate for a separate library.

            That way you can use the autotrace-library to implement a Gimp-plugin,
            which gets its images from Gimp and doesn't need any image loading code
            but perhaps the vector export lib. It would also be useful in vector
            drawing programs like Gyve or Sketch that also have their own image

            For this to work, the library would have to flexible enough to work with
            different image representations, ranging from simple ones that hold the
            entire image in one contiguous chunk of memory and more complex ones
            that may use several separate chunks (e.g. the Python Imaging Library)
            to complex ones like Gimp's that even handles images that don't fit into
            memory.

            Bernhard

            --
            Bernhard Herzog | Sketch, a drawing program for Unix
            herzog@... | http://sketch.sourceforge.net/