[AutoTrace] Re: Image routines

    Message 1 of 7 , Jan 31, 2000
      Is this still true with ImageMagick 5.1.1?

      Martin

      > Hi all,

      > Martin> I need routines for - loading images - caching images -
      > Martin> displaying images Is it better to take parts of
      > Martin> GIMP-1.1.15 or Imagemagick-5.1.1 or is there still a
      > Martin> better way?
      >
      > Considering the fact that the images are potentially huge, and quite
      > probably scanned, I'd be very happy with autotrace running as a Gimp
      > plugin. In any case, Imagemagick is not very smart when it comes to
      > handling large images: everything & all is done in memory.
      >
      > I'm willing and able to write a MetaFont .pk/.gf input filter, btw.
      >
      > Greetings, taco
      > --
      > Taco Hoekwater taco.hoekwater@...
      > Kluwer Academic Publishers -- Pre Press --
      > Achterom 119, 3311 KB Dordrecht, The Netherlands tel. 31-78-6392550

      > You can today at X.com - and we'll give you $20 to try it! Sign
      > up today at X.com. It's quick, free, & there's no obligation!
      >

      > eGroups.com home: http://www.egroups.com/group/autotrace

      Sent through Global Message Exchange - http://www.gmx.net
    • Taco Hoekwater
      Message 2 of 7 , Jan 31, 2000

        Martin> Is this still true with ImageMagick 5.1.1? Martin

        The logic is still dumb: if it doesnt fit in 80Mb, switch to disk
        completely.

        Taco
      • Jerronimo
        Message 3 of 7 , Jan 31, 2000
          On Sat, 29 Jan 2000, Martin Weber wrote:
          > I need routines for
          > - caching images
          > - displaying images
          > Is it better to take parts of GIMP-1.1.15 or Imagemagick-5.1.1 or is
          > there still a better way?

          Perhaps, or maybe you might want to look into the SDL graphics library.
          They're available for linux (X), Win32, Mac, etc... it's quite easy to
          use (it comes with some sample code, and there are plenty of examples on
          the website (an entire gzip of 'em)

          http://www.devolution.com/~slouken/SDL/

          -j

          --
          Scott "Jerry" Lawrence
          sdlpci@... San Andreas Fault: San Francisco Dumped
          Message 4 of 7 , Feb 1, 2000
            Are there other opinions whether to use parts of GIMP-1.1.15 or
            Imagemagick-5.1.1 or SDL for importing Images?
          • Bernhard Herzog
            Message 5 of 7 , Feb 1, 2000
              "Martin Weber" <martweb@...> writes:

              > Are there other opinions whether to use parts of GIMP-1.1.15 or
              > Imagemagick-5.1.1 or SDL for importing Images?

              Well, IMO it doesn't really matter what the stand-alone program
              autotrace uses to load images. It's more important to implement
              autotrace in such way that the vectorizing functionality can easily be
              used by other programs that already have ways to load images or write
              vector data.

              Therefore, I think autotrace should be implemented as a library
              containing the core functionality and a stand-alone program that uses
              that library plus some way to load images and a way to store the vector
              data returned by the library. The vector export functionality would also
              be a good candidate for a separate library.

              That way you can use the autotrace-library to implement a Gimp-plugin,
              which gets its images from Gimp and doesn't need any image loading code
              but perhaps the vector export lib. It would also be useful in vector
              drawing programs like Gyve or Sketch that also have their own image

              For this to work, the library would have to flexible enough to work with
              different image representations, ranging from simple ones that hold the
              entire image in one contiguous chunk of memory and more complex ones
              that may use several separate chunks (e.g. the Python Imaging Library)
              to complex ones like Gimp's that even handles images that don't fit into
              memory.

              Bernhard

              --
              Bernhard Herzog | Sketch, a drawing program for Unix
              herzog@... | http://sketch.sourceforge.net/