Re: frontline-0.4.1 crashes: segmentation fault

  • ggrubbish
    Message 1 of 17 , Aug 11, 2002
      --- In autotrace@y..., "ggrubbish" <ggrubbish@w...> wrote:
      > Hi all,
      >
      > Sorry, I'm not a developer, but I'm interested to run frontline,
      > autotrace and the gimp-plugin.
      >
      > Frontline crashes all the time I press the trace-button.
      >
      > [...]
      > Any idea what went wrong with it?

      Additional information about autotrace wich I had to conmpile without
      pstoedit because configure asked for pstoedit 3.32 but only 3.31 is
      available (??), also on the pstoedit website - www.pstoedit.net. I
      need pstoedit.pc which doesn't exist, to compile with pstoedit:

      AutoTrace version 0.30.2.

      gerhard@debian:~$ autotrace --color-count=0
      --corner-always-threshold=60.000000 --corner-surround=4
      --corner-threshold=100.000000 --error-threshold=0.800000
      --filter-iterations=4 --line-reversion-threshold=0.010000
      --line-threshold=1.000000 --tangent-surround=3
      --despeckle-tightness=2.000000 --report-progress --output-format pdf
      Bildschirmphoto3.png > Bildschirmphoto3.pdf
      Bildschirmphoto3.png||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||
      gerhard@debian:~$ acroread Bildschirmphoto3.pdf

      works fine

      gerhard@debian:~$ ls -l Bildschirmphoto3.png
      -rw-r--r-- 1 gerhard gerhard 117202 Jul 15 23:35
      Bildschirmphoto3.png

      gerhard@debian:~$ ls -l Werner_tier1.tif
      -rw-r--r-- 1 gerhard gerhard 9331678 Jul 2 21:01 Werner_tier1.tif

      This Image is too big for the operation on my box (~380 Mb RAM
      PIII 667Mhz) it runs out of memory and crashes kde, apache etc. due to
      the lack of memory.

      TIA

      gerhard
      Message 2 of 17 , Aug 14, 2002
        Gerhard, thank you for your problem report.
        (I'm the author of frontline.)

        I don't know well about debian.
        But it seems that there is no libpopt on your system.
        frontline requires libpopt. Instead there is libpopt0.
        Frontline should be linked with libpopt0?

        Masatake YAMATO
        Message 3 of 17 , Aug 22, 2002
          gerhard and Wolfgang, forgive me to be late to answer.

          First of all, I'd like to split the problems into two:
          frontline related and pstoedit related.

          I'd like to solve frontline related first because it might be easy
          to fix.

          What I'd like to know is what happens actually in running
          frontline process.

          gerhard, could you run gdb? I need stack trace.

          procedure:

          fromshell$ make install
          fromshell$ gdb /usr/local/bin/frontline
          (gdb) run
          ... make frontline crush ...
          (gdb) where

          Please send output of "where" gdb command.

          Also I need output of ldd.

          procedure:
          fromshell$ ldd /usr/local/bin/frontline

          Masatake
          Message 4 of 17 , Aug 23, 2002
            Wolfgang wrote:
            > This and the similar messages is caused by linking autotrace with gcc
            > instead of g++. Remember Masatake, I once mentioned in a mail that you
            > need to at least link the main program with the C++ compiler if you
            > are linking in a c++ compiled library. Another thing that could be
            > tried is to convince libtool to make libpstoedit.so self-contained,
            > e.g. to force the linking of the C++ runtime library already to the
            > libpstoedit.so.

            Yes, you are right. Please, apply an attached patch to pstoedit-3.32.
            Masatake YAMATO
          • Gerhard Gaussling
            Message 5 of 17 , Aug 24, 2002
              Am Freitag, 23. August 2002 05:51 schrieb Masatake YAMATO:
              > stack trace

              Hello Masatake YAMATO,

              I attached the stacktrace below. I hope that will help you to
              figure out how to solve the crash problem.

              kind regards

              gerhard
            • Gerhard Gaussling
              Message 6 of 17 , Aug 24, 2002
                Am Samstag, 24. August 2002 07:05 schrieb Masatake YAMATO:
                > Please, apply an attached patch to pstoedit-3.32

                Hello,

                Thank you for the work Wolfgang and Masatake!
                I mentioned before that I'm not a programmer. Please send me short
                steps of instructions how to apply that patch to autotrace.

                Thanks in advance

                kind regards

                gerhard
                Message 7 of 17 , Aug 24, 2002
                  > I attached the stacktrace below. I hope that will help you to
                  > figure out how to solve the crash problem.

                  Thank you for sending backtrace log. I've read.
                  I guess frontline passes a something broken bitmap or options to
                  autotrace. Could you send me a bitmap you use?

                  Masatake YAMATO
                • Gerhard Gaussling
                  Message 8 of 17 , Aug 24, 2002
                    Am Samstag, 24. August 2002 11:59 schrieb Masatake YAMATO:
                    > > I attached the stacktrace below. I hope that will help you to
                    > > figure out how to solve the crash problem.
                    >
                    > Thank you for sending backtrace log. I've read.
                    > I guess frontline passes a something broken bitmap or options to
                    > autotrace. Could you send me a bitmap you use?
                    >
                    > Masatake YAMATO

                    Hello Masatake YAMATO,

                    I use now a little shellscript to use the output of frontline which
                    I save to ~/autotrace1 (I imagine that it seems very ugly for
                    programmers. Perhaps you could give me some advices to improve the
                    awk lines ;-):

                    #/bin/sh!
                    echo `cat ~/autotrace1` | gawk '{print $6 " " $7 " " $8 " " $9 "
                    " $10 " " $11 " " $12 " " $13 " " $14 " " $15 " " $16}' |
                    autotrace --report-progress --output-format ai $1 > $1.ai

                    gv $1.ai

                    I run it from the shell
                    shell$ gautotrace <path-to-the-image>
                    For instance it works really good for me, but I hope you'll solve
                    the crashissue.

                    I attached the image and result

                    regards

                    gerhard
                  • gerhard
                    Message 9 of 17 , Aug 24, 2002
                      Am Samstag, 24. August 2002 18:51 schrieben Sie:

                      Message 10 of 17 , Aug 24, 2002
                        (Tommory I cannot get mails because gyve.org is down.)

                        > I use now a little shellscript to use the output of frontline which
                        > I save to ~/autotrace1 (I imagine that it seems very ugly for
                        > programmers. Perhaps you could give me some advices to improve the
                        > awk lines ;-):

                        Don't worry.
                        I don't know well about scripting languages except bash.
                        About awk, you are much better programmer than I.
                        We are inhabitants of free software world. So we should
                        do what we can do; using a software, reporting a bug and
                        debugging it:-P

                        Before talking about the bug, I'm surprised that you are using
                        frontline so hard. You are using undocumented functions of
                        frontline.

                        > I use now a little shellscript to use the output of frontline which
                        > I save to ~/autotrace1 (I imagine that it seems very ugly for
                        > programmers. Perhaps you could give me some advices to improve the
                        > awk lines ;-):

                        Do you mean "output of frontline" is an option file like:
                        # AutoTrace version 0.30.1
                        autotrace --color-count=0 ...
                        ?

                        Frontline could save options into an option file. I've called the
                        option file "aop(Autotrace OPtion) file".

                        It seems that you extract options from aop file; and pass
                        to autotrace command with some extra args (--report-progress and so on).
                        Right?

                        If what I have written is right, I could give you tips:
                        aop file it self a shell script. So you can do like:

                        sh autotrace1 --report-progress --output-format ai input-file > input-file.ai
                        gv input-file

                        You don't have to use awk.
                        ----------

                        About the bug. I've tried your bmp on my machine(Red Hat 7.2).
                        It works fine. So I could say there is no problem in C source code level.

                        The problem might be in
                        1) difference between your autotrace/frontline source and mine, or
                        2) broken library linking on your debian.

                        In my office, colleagues run debian machine. I could test on the
                        machine. However, I don't know well about debian. So it might be
                        taken long time to inspect. I think the best way is to creat debs
                        for both autotrace and frontline.

                        Is there deb for autotrace? and do you use it? or compiling from
                        source?

                        Masatake
                        Message 11 of 17 , Aug 24, 2002
                          > Thank you for the work Wolfgang and Masatake!
                          > I mentioned before that I'm not a programmer. Please send me short
                          > steps of instructions how to apply that patch to autotrace.

                          Ok. To avoid confusing, you should now apply the patch till
                          the frontline bug is solved. Wolfgang will provide patch applied
                          version of pstoedit near future.

                          Wolfgang, I must say I'm sorry to send you a patch too late.
                          But autotrace will need pstoedit-3.33.0. Sorry again.

                          Masatake
                        • Gerhard Gaussling
                          Message 12 of 17 , Aug 24, 2002
                            Am Samstag, 24. August 2002 19:34 schrieb Masatake YAMATO:
                            > [...]
                            >
                            > > I use now a little shellscript to use the output of frontline
                            > > which I save to ~/autotrace1 (I imagine that it seems very
                            > > ugly for programmers. Perhaps you could give me some advices to
                            > > improve the awk lines ;-):
                            >
                            > Do you mean "output of frontline" is an option file like:
                            > # AutoTrace version 0.30.1
                            > autotrace --color-count=0 ...
                            > ?

                            Yes, it's the "aop(Autotrace OPtion) file".

                            > Frontline could save options into an option file. I've called the
                            > option file "aop(Autotrace OPtion) file".
                            >
                            > It seems that you extract options from aop file; and pass
                            > to autotrace command with some extra args (--report-progress and
                            > so on). Right?
                            >
                            > If what I have written is right, I could give you tips:
                            > aop file it self a shell script. So you can do like:
                            >
                            > sh autotrace1 --report-progress --output-format ai input-file
                            > > input-file.ai gv input-file

                            Arggg ;-) I just didn't see that! But I have to chmod every
                            outputfile with u+x.

                            > You don't have to use awk.
                            > ----------
                            >
                            > About the bug. I've tried your bmp on my machine(Red Hat 7.2).
                            > It works fine. So I could say there is no problem in C source
                            > code level.
                            >
                            > The problem might be in
                            > 1) difference between your autotrace/frontline source and mine,
                            > or 2) broken library linking on your debian.

                            I used AutoTrace version 0.30.2 without pstoedit 3.32 (because,
                            like I mentioned before: I can't make it. Perhaps I'll try the
                            patch...) and frontline-0.4.1 from the links in emails of this
                            maillists. On the official webpage I didn't find the newest
                            versions.

                            It could be that I have a broken library linking. How can I figure
                            that out?

                            > In my office, colleagues run debian machine. I could test on the
                            > machine. However, I don't know well about debian. So it might be
                            > taken long time to inspect. I think the best way is to creat debs
                            > for both autotrace and frontline.
                            >
                            > Is there deb for autotrace? and do you use it?

                            There is a deb of autotrace:
                            gerhard@debian:~$ apt-cache policy autotrace
                            autotrace:
                            Installed: 0.30.2-1
                            Candidate: 0.30.2-1
                            Version Table:
                            *** 0.30.2-1 0
                            100 /var/lib/dpkg/status
                            0.29-1 0
                            500 ftp://ftp.uni-koeln.de woody/main Packages

                            *** 0.30.2-1 0 I created myself using the sources like mentioned
                            above.

                            I would be very grateful if you'll or one of your colleagues try to
                            create the debs of the newest versions of autotrace, pstoedit and
                            frontline, or if you could help to figure out why frontline
                            crashes on my machine and give me advices how to patch
                            pstoedit 3.32.

                            autotrace 0.29-1 Maintainer: Harry Henry Gebel <hgebel@...>
                            pstoedit 3.31-2 Maintainer: J.H.M.Dassen (Ray) <jdassen@...>
                            frontline 0.4.1-1 Maintainer: gerhard@... (;-) )

                            As you can see there isn't yet a Maintainer for frontline. I don't
                            know how to build a deb-pakage with all of it's dependencies. I
                            just build it with checkinstall.

                            > or compiling from source?

                            yes.

                            Apropos Image:
                            The stacktrace comes from a different Image than the one I send
                            You. I tested an Image of the artdepatment of the enterprise where
                            I'm working, and I didn't want to send it, due to the licences. If
                            it's necessary I could send the stack trace of the
                            debian-startup-image.bmp too.

                            Thank you Masatake

                            kind regards

                            gerhard
                            Message 13 of 17 , Aug 27, 2002
                              gerhard,

                              I've tested autotrace/frontline on debian.
                              It *seems* that `log_file', a symbol defined in autotrace
                              conflicts with something on debian. So I renamed log_file
                              to at_log_file; and made new tar.gz.

                              http://autotrace.sf.net/snapshots/autotrace-0.30.3-jet0.tar.gz

                              What you have to do:

                              1. If you are using autotrace deb package, uninstall it.
                              2. Build autotrace from the source files.
                              3. Install it.

                              Masatake
                              Message 14 of 17 , Aug 27, 2002
                                I forgot to write.

                                > What you have to do:
                                >
                                > 1. If you are using autotrace deb package, uninstall it.
                                > 2. Build autotrace from the source files.
                                > 3. Install it.

                                I think you don't have to rebuild and/or reinstall frontline.

                                Masatake
                              • Gerhard Gaussling
                                Message 15 of 17 , Aug 27, 2002
                                  Am Dienstag, 27. August 2002 09:07 schrieb Masatake YAMATO:
                                  > I forgot to write.
                                  >
                                  > > What you have to do:
                                  > >
                                  > > 1. If you are using autotrace deb package, uninstall it.
                                  > > 2. Build autotrace from the source files.
                                  > > 3. Install it.
                                  >
                                  > I think you don't have to rebuild and/or reinstall frontline.

                                  Hello Masatake,

                                  Thank you for the work you spend on it. I'll try it today or until
                                  thursday. I hope that it's easy to patch pstoedit 3.32, to build
                                  autotrace with pstoedit.

                                  Thank you

                                  regards

                                  gerhard
                                  Message 16 of 17 , Aug 27, 2002
                                    > I hope that it's easy to patch pstoedit 3.32, to build
                                    > autotrace with pstoedit.

                                    The snapshot just avoids the crushing.
                                    About pstoedit linking, nothing is improved.
                                    Masatake