Re: Frontline compile errors..

    Message 1 of 7 , Jun 3, 2002
      After inspecting, I found it is possible to compile frontline only
      with autotrace in MY HOME DIRECTORY. There is no autotrace version
      that works well with frontline-0.4.0. even in the version in CVS
      repository.

      I'll commit the codes in my home directory, however some functions
      in the codes are have too long name. Therefore I'm discussing what
      we should do with Martin now. After committing the codes, I'll
      announce again.

      Masatake
      Message 2 of 7 , Jun 4, 2002
        Possibly we need a kind of libtool for configuration?!

        http://www.gmx.net
        Message 3 of 7 , Jun 4, 2002
          > Possibly we need a kind of libtool for configuration?!

          No, this is only my mistake. However, I think it is time
          to introduce libtool. I'm working on 0.32 in following topics:

          - Linking libpstoedit. Even now, you can use pstoedit from
          autotrace with UNIX pipe facility.
          e.g.
          $ autotrace --output-format=p2e var/attest/centerline.png | pstoedit -bo -f mpost > foo.mpost

          However, we cannot know from that autotrace supports mpost from "--list-output-format" option.

          $ autotrace --list-output-formats
          Supported output formats:
          eps Encapsulated PostScript
          ai Adobe Illustrator
          p2e pstoedit frontend format
          sk Sketch
          svg Scalable Vector Graphics
          fig XFIG 3.2
          swf Shockwave Flash 3
          emf Enhanced Metafile format
          mif FrameMaker MIF format
          er Elastic Reality Shape file
          dxf DXF format (without splines)
          epd EPD format
          pdf PDF format
          cgm Computer Graphics Metafile
          dr2d IFF DR2D format

          If autotrace is linked to pstoedit, you can find mpost in above outputs.

          - Better frontline connection

          - Introduce libtool

          Masatake YAMATO
          Message 4 of 7 , Jun 4, 2002
            > Possibly we need a kind of libtool for configuration?!

            After thinking again, Martin is right.
            If libtool is existed, I could avoid my mistake.

            BTW, probably, you are at the front of TV:)

            Masatake
            Message 5 of 7 , Jun 4, 2002
              I've commited pstoedit related code.
              However, these code works well with newer version of pstoedit,
              therefore, pstoedit related code are disabled in configure.
              Once pstoedit-config or something similar(I means pstoedit.pc)
              is introduced, pstoedit related should be turned on.

              After inspecting *AGAIN*, I found I found it is possible to
              compile frontline with autotrace in CVS repository.
              Martin, I'd like to create a snapshot, 0.30.2.tar.gz. Ok?

              Masatake

              p.s. CHS, if you have time, try CVS version. If not, please wait
              for 0.30.2 or 0.31.0.
              About CVS
              See http://sourceforge.net/cvs/?group_id=11789

              The module name is autotrace. After checking out the codes, invoke
              autogen.sh in the distribution. That generates configure.in,
              Makefile.in and so on. autogen.sh invokes automake, autoconf, aclocal
              and autofig.

              Autofig

              Autofig generate autotrace-config.in from autotrace-config.af.
              You can get autofig from:

              http://autotrace.sourceforge.net/tools/
              Message 6 of 7 , Jun 8, 2002
                I've commited codes that use libtool.
                Now, you can use libautotrace.so, a shared library.

                However, if you use Red Hat Linux 7.2 to build autotrace with ImageMagick,
                you will get a trouble something like:

                /bin/sh ./libtool --mode=link gcc -g -O2 -o autotrace atou.o main.o ...
                libtool: link: cannot find the library `/usr/lib/libxml2.la'
                gmake: *** [autotrace] Error 1

                The reasons of thie trouble are 1. libMagick.la is broken;
                and 2. libxml2.so does not exist. There are two ways to avoid
                this trouble.

                1. Build autotrace without ImageMagick.
                Run configure with "--withoud-magick" option(then run make clean; make).
                However, you lost input functions that use ImageMagick.

                2. Hack the broken files.
                Replace "/usr/lib/libxml2.la" with -lxml2 in ImageMagick.la then
                Make a symbolic link, /usr/lib/libxml2.so, that referees /usr/lib/libxml2.so.2.
                If you don't understand what I write, you should not do.

                Masatake YAMATO
                Message 7 of 7 , Jul 2, 2002
                  Some of tasks related to pstoedit are done
                  through more works are needed to release new pstoedit.

                  No more changes migth be needed for autotrace to work with
                  pstoedit. autotrace code related to new pstoedit are committed.

                  I'd like to provide tar.gz file to test.
                  Martin, how do you think release 0.31.2 as a snapshot?

                  Masatake